CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a new puppy that is too young to be left outside, only because I live in town and the neighbors won't like the late night crying, howling, and barking. I don't know how well housebreaking a hound will work and eventually want the dog to be able to be outside in the kennel when I need it to be. Anybody have any advice?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:05 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hsetrain.html

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: housebreaking puppy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have succesfully house broken 2 coon hounds. First get a crate one that is only big enough for the pup to turn around in. and keep him/she in there at all times unless you are taking out to the bathroom, feeding it, or playing with it. DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OFF HIM or he will go in the house. I have done this and it works wounderfull. I have a coonhound in the house that is left in the house uncaged 8 hours a day and does not get into anything. He is 2 now and it took all of 2 years to get him there.

Try the crate training it realy works becasue a dog will not go to the bathroom whree it sleeps!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have housebroke... wait... let me count..... about 9 hunting hounds.. It is possible to do... Crate training is much easier... and I admit a couple have slept in bed with us. When they wake up I take them out... Be consistant.. A routine works the best... And vinegar is wonderful about taking pet odor out of carpets...

www.outwesthounds.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my walker is 20 months old and is house broke
I left her in my garage all night from the day i got her and let her run my 3 1/2 acr all day
she can come in and when she needs to go out she will let us know

Post subject: They're dogs ain't they?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:15 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You can teach them to do whatever you have a mind and patience to teach them. Only thing is since they have been bred to be able to hunt out on their own they also have their own independent notions sometimes. Still, if you are consistent with the crate and taking them out it will work. We taught ours to ring a small bell that hangs from our front door on the inside to let us know when she wants out. When she would ring it we would take her out. In about three or four hours she had it figured that 'ring the bell I go out'. It took a while longer to have her at 100% house trained but pups can't sit and wait for someone to long. Keep plenty of rag towels and vinegar water 50/50 to clean up urine stink on carpet and hardfloor. Study that thread on crate training. You will eventually get there. Make a big deal when it goes out and does a good job. Grunt and snarl at it when it messes in the house. Don't go rubbing its face in a mess, just let it know you ain't happy, probably won't be hard to act that way.

Post subject: YUP!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:44 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Got two here. One is a Bluetick who was housedog and hunter before he came here, completely housetrained. The second is an AKC BnT who had housetraining problems and came here around 5 mos. A Bit harder at that age but still do able. CRATE TRAINING definately the easiest way to go. Good luck, have fun, be patient and firm and enjoy your hound!
HAPPYHUNTING! Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all the great advice and the website was a big help. Now does anyone know how long I have to wait until I will be able to sleep through the night without taking the dog out 3 or 4 times?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:33 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

LOL... Six months I believe is when most of mine have slept through the night. I have had a couple pups that would ask to go to bed at a certain time and didn't wake up until the alarm clock went off.. But just a couple of those...

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yup, easy to housetrain. We sleep our young pups on the bed, for quiet less stress nights. Even our young pups have only needed to go out once until about 12 weeks old, then they seem to sleep the night and they do wake up early, 5am or so for about 6 months. Around this time some of them choose other places to sleep.

I also do little bits in a crate or kennel, feeding or short time with something to chew, so that in a week or two, I can start leaving the pup out all day and not have any barking or howling. Our hunting hounds actually prefer to be outside a lot anyway, so we leave them kenneled when we are at work or gone in the evening and some days they are only in at night to sleep, other times, they are in a lot and only out a little.
Jagger content in a chair here, below, at work on a tree!

Barbara and The Symphony of Hounds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dogs are dogs, and a hound is no different than any other dog. Of course you can house-break a hound with a little time, will, and constructive thought.

Post subject: Mine housebroke readily
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

without a crate. He was twelve weeks old when we got him, used to living in a horse stall in a barn. I dont think he went in the house more than a half dozen times. He learned to ask to go out (the yard is fenced) right away, and doesn't get up until I do--later if its raining. In fact, he was far easier to housebreak than other breeds I've had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:10 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

we house break and raise every pup we start in the house. atleast 10 dogs a year. they handle and learn alot easier when you raise them in the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my three hounds live indoors, they dont have free range of the house at all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:38 am 
IP:
Housetraining is pretty easy, as long as you keep on it very firmly. Hounds are no different. Crate training is the easiest, in my opinion, though I only started with crates a year ago. When I have a new dog/pup loose I watch it REAL close. Dogs give a slight indication that they are about to go, grab them immediately and bring them outside. The annoying part is once you get them outside they may not feel like going anymore. Every time I bring them out I stand out there and wait (and sometimes up to 40 minutes) watching, so I can praise them the instant they go. The outdoor waiting is tiresome, but boy it pays off in the long run!