It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: backtracking
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

funny this came up

never turned loose on a coon crossing the road till the other night. used my 13 month old house dog "which is a monster and better than most hunting dogs" i put him on the gps, started balling when i got him out of the box. ran it 580 straight to the tree. it took all of 3 mins for him to put it up.

was hunting with my gramps. he told me that most dogs would back track on those but those same dogs that back track usually back track and chop up tracks before they tree if they tree at all.............. thats all he said i never ask anything else.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: backtracking
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Put a shock collar on them and when u see a coon crossing the road back of about fifty feet and send him down the road and if he choses backwards shock him enough to let him know he done something wrong and then send him the right way, dont fry him though, this may take a couple of time but the truth is most of your slick treeing dogs are backtrackers.

Post subject: Re: backtracking
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

[quote="cfoley"]how do you help your dog from back tracking? ive saw coons cross the road and let him go but my dog runs them backwards and trees them at the tree they came down[/quote]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

When you see a Coon cross a road; just stop, get out and mark the exact spot where it left the road. Take the Dog or Dogs on the lease, go a few step off the road where the Coon went; Pat them on the head a couple of times and let them go. You will have a Coon race

DON'T EVER<> Stop when a Coon crosses a road and just open the Dog box!!! That is one big NO-NO-DON'T- DO!!! Also if for some reason your not completely sure where the Coon left the road; Just get back in the Truck and go on hunting!! No Dog should be on the ground unless it's put directly on the track.

Robert the Plott man