CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you go to Tri-tronics' web site (tritronics.com), John Wick is writing a monthly article on different ways to use E-collars.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i would say no cuz i dont have a problem with my dogs running trash, except for my old dog for some reason she likes a possum every now and then but i dont shock her for that, the reson i have it on them is when its time to go all i gotta do is call them back in and if they dont come i just give them a little bump, but i have found out that a tri- tronic system will save you a lot of heart ache and pain lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live on a busy road that has killed many dogs for me since i was a child. Now days the first thing i do with a pup is break him from goin to the road with the shock callor. I have never had it affect the way they act on roads away from my house. I see how maybe it could though.
I just turn them out and let em roam around and play. When they get close to the road i make it painful. Usually only takes bout two sessions to make em stay out of the road.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:40 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

kirkwood wrote:
anybody ever have a dog that did not respond to the collar or is my hard headed BT the only one that dosen't care if a gazillion volts is pulsing through his neck if his nose is full of fresh whitetail?

When I first started I had a mixed breed walker b&t like that. He loved to run deer and NOTHING I could do could change that. Ive drained the battery on a shock collar one day and he barely slowed down. when I would press the button (started on 1 and ended up on 10) he would jerk his head sideways and scream but keep running it. we never did stop that dog. someone called me three days later and I went and picked him up. I gave him to a hunting club in the next county that runs deer dogs. Ive had over a dozen different people come to my house saying they would pay me top dollar for another dog like that or to train their dogs lol. said he was the absolute best deer dog they had ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:54 am 
IP:
been using the shock collar for a few months now mostly with word commands if i yell no and he doesnt listen he gets shocked,but like going near the road i dont say anything just let him get close enough and give it to him,had the neighbor drive by slow and let him start taking off after him and lit him up amazing what a little juice will do

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The collar is just a training tool, you can use it for lots of things.

Training is in 3 steps

1) You teach the dog what you expect of it.

In this step you aren't using any discipline, you're just making sure your dog knows its commands and knows what you're asking of it.

2) You discipline the dog for disobeying

This step is the next in the progression. You never EVER discipline a dog for not understanding a command. With the collar it gets shocked because it chose not to listen or to do what it knows it isn't supposed to.

3) You reinforce behaviors

This is the final step and you'll be doing it the rest of your dogs life. They never stop learning and as long as you're consistent, the dog will be too.

The collar is a great tool, you can use it for a lot more than just trash breaking, you just have to use it right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would say use it but be careful and be sure your dog is ready for it and dont over use it. my last dog got collar smart. the problem was that he was a complete @#$ hole with out the collar and once the collar was on he was a saint. so the problem became controlling him without a collar cus I couldn't leave it one him all the time. I would also be careful if your using it for being dog aggressive because I noticed it intensified his response if he was after another dog.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:41 pm 
IP:
A shock collar is definitely something to use wisely and be careful with. I've learned that lesson in a hard way lately. My (hunting) hound is surprisingly well-mannered so I don't have to shock him much at all. The times he has been shocked is when he has intentionally disobeyed my command. You can tell they know the command when with a light shock they immediately do an about-face and follow direction.

My (non-hunting) hound wears a bark collar. He is stupid. He understands that barking produces a shock, though he barks anyway because he loves barking so much that the shock is worth it.

He hasn't figured out that making gurgling sounds (or whatever he's doing) in his throat will also produce a shock. To him those shocks don't make sense (just like a dog who gets shocked for not following a command he doesn't know). He's gotten more and more aggressive since we put the collar on him and I didn't put two-and-two together until recently. He doesn't wear the collar now and we're hoping the aggression will lessen.

Rhody is exactly right that the dog needs to know the command before he gets shocked. Otherwise... the dog hears you say something non-sensical, then he experiences pain and learns to associate the pain with you. That'll downright either make a dog mad or make it fearful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got a Garmin Delta XC for my 4 month old female bluetick. She knows come, sit, stay and heel for the most part. She does not respond sometimes. So I started with the e-collar today and I have it up to 12 on the stimulation and she was watching a neighbor get the mail and was thinking of breaking her sit stay command so I said daisy come and she ignored me I said again and nothing so I shocked her and nothing. But I know she felt it because her whole body twitched each time I shocked her. It was a momentary shock more than once.

Any ideas for me. I started out seeing when she actually felt shock and it was at 6.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
I just got a Garmin Delta XC for my 4 month old female bluetick. She knows come, sit, stay and heel for the most part. She does not respond sometimes. So I started with the e-collar today and I have it up to 12 on the stimulation and she was watching a neighbor get the mail and was thinking of breaking her sit stay command so I said daisy come and she ignored me I said again and nothing so I shocked her and nothing. But I know she felt it because her whole body twitched each time I shocked her. It was a momentary shock more than once.

Any ideas for me. I started out seeing when she actually felt shock and it was at 6.

the dog needs to know why they are being shocked. Use a long rope, check cord, and when you say come, give a gentle tug If she doesnt come , then give a little shock and tug again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She should know what the shock means. When she's in the house and I shock her when she does something bad I tell her no and she is stopping now with just shock. I had her on leash this morning and she knows not to pull but she would even while shocked. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

another thing you need to remember is she is only 4 months old so she may just have a lot of puppy in her. I would get to excited about shocking a young dog- my rule is never use one until they are at least 6 months-and then only if they are nuisance barking in the kennel