CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ive had an 8 week old bluetick living with me for about a week now, hes super smart as far as house training and learning basic commands. But when i leave him gated in the kitchen for even a few minutes he goes beserk. Ive tried just leaving him until he stops but after two hours i knew he needed to eat and go to the bathroom. I think this might be caused by improper weaning, but i was wondering if you guys had any ideas about it or maybe some solutions. thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Do you have a dog crate?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Put him in the crate when you need to leave him on his own. At 8 weeks old he will act like that so don't expect him to like being alone but as he matures he will settle down and accept that you set the rules for being with you or on his own. As far as the noise that's part of having a pup. If you make sure he is fed and watered then has time to go outside and take care of business and play then the crate time will become normal for him and he will learn to go there as a command from you. This will not be soon since he is very young right now but by 8-10 months old you should have home routines well set. This is why the folks who know hounds recommend getting an older one, for those who are not patient to wait nearly a year for them to settle down and mature to be ready for hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks for the input, i cut some holes in a tennis ball and filled it with treats and that seems to keep him distracted and calmed down, im gonna buy one of those things that you can fill with peanut butter and see if that works too. i hope he starts learning to cope though, i have to start working again soon

Post subject: seperation anxiety
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

some history-we got this redbone pup when he was 10 weeks old. he was here 3 three days when we bought a 2nd pup ( wife's idea ). after 3 weeks of not being able to do anything but tend puppies 24/7 she finally agreed that 2 very young puppies was too much & I sold the 2nd pup. several behavior problems with the 1st pup immediately improved. one thing that happened though is that he has developed serious separation anxiety. he'll sit & bark at the bathroom door while I'm in the bathroom. when I go out to the mailbox or do anything where he cannot see me he barks non stop until I return. if we go out ( he's crated ) he barks non stop until we return. we were crating him at night. he'd bark awhile, sleep, & wake up & bark. I'd take him out & he'd relieve himself & back in the crate he'd go. same thing- bark, sleep, bark, & outside to relieve himself. he'd need to go out 3-4 times per night which is not out of line for a pup that young. then the wife started leaving him out at night. so now if I take out late evening, say 11 pm, he'll go til 6 am before having to go out. the downside is now he wants nothing to do with the crate. if I go out the wife says he's frantic until I get back. he never leaves my side. he turned 4 months old yesterday & shows no signs of getting any better. any pointers for dealing with this?
at this point I've put a 2nd crate in the living room. we're putting him in the crate a few times a day for 5-15 minutes while we're in the room with him hoping this will gradually get him used to the crate. he barked a lot the 1st few times but today just laid down quietly. I don't think a bark collar in the crate is a good idea as he might associate the crate with being punished.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The way he sees it, the other puppy left and never came back, so he's afraid you'll leave and never come back. Don't make a big deal of your comings and goings. Give him a toy that will keep him busy for quite some time before you leave, and wait until he's completely focused on the toy and not you before you leave, then sneak out quietly. When you return, completely ignore him for the first 10 or 15 minutes or so.

If he barks in the crate while you're home, put a muzzle on him. When he settles down, take the muzzle off and reward him for being quiet, but keep him in the crate. If he starts up again, the muzzle goes back on until he settles down. For his safety, don't leave a muzzle on him when you're gone though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got a 3 month old Bluetick 4 nights ago and I haven't been able to leave her in her crate during the day without her barking and crying. I've yelled "no" and she stops for a few seconds and starts back up again. It could go on like that for a long time.
The weird thing is that when she goes in the crate at night to sleep (with kennel up command)which is at the foot of my bed she only wimpers a few times and I tell her "no" a couple times and she is fine the rest of the night (8 hrs).
I just don't understand why she hates the crate during the day and not at night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Because she knows you're up and around and wants to be part of the action. At night she knows where you are and what you're doing. Try putting that crate somewhere else at night where she is not with you. She'll cry it out but it will help with not being near you during the day. Also my opinion don't just say no. Say no bark. That way the associate no with don't do and then bark being the command. That way no works with don't ##*%* on that too lol.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well still not good with being alone. I left my almost 4 month old Bluetick alone in her crate with a kong filled with treats and I was gone about any hour and when I returned she was barking her head off. And this isn't getting any better. Plus she had her usual toys in with her also.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

4 months old they're still learning. Start with a Gatorade bottle with some penny's in it. She barks start by shaking it. Keeps going give her a smack. Its hard to hit them too hard with it but you don't need to go all out. The point is the noise it makes. Always use the command no bark with any action. That doesn't work move to a bark collar. Don't forget the reward (treat pet something) when they don't bark. Given with the command good no bark.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ugean wrote:
4 months old they're still learning. Start with a Gatorade bottle with some penny's in it. She barks start by shaking it. Keeps going give her a smack. Its hard to hit them too hard with it but you don't need to go all out. The point is the noise it makes. Always use the command no bark with any action. That doesn't work move to a bark collar. Don't forget the reward (treat pet something) when they don't bark. Given with the command good no bark.

She doesn't bark when I'm there. It when I leave. I did get a bark collar. But she got so scared of it after she quit barking that she bolted out the door to get aeay from whatever shocked her. But it might have taught her a lesson.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
ugean wrote:

She doesn't bark when I'm there. It when I leave. I did get a bark collar. But she got so scared of it after she quit barking that she bolted out the door to get aeay from whatever shocked her. But it might have taught her a lesson.

They're smarter than you think they are. She'll figure out its that collar real quick. You should make it part of her normal wear and just switch it off when its not in use. I've had plenty figure out they don't have to listen when they're not wearing a training collar. The dummy collars help solve that problem. Then once they are behaving consistently you start taking it off and teach them that as soon as they misbehave it goes back on.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Oh believe me. I know how smart she is. She's yesting me. I was trying to train her without a e-collar but that's going to change. She's starting to run from me when she does something bad. And when I catch her it's like she don't care and goes right back to what she did bad. I have my hands full. The bark collar has helped with the the barking when I leave her but not 100% yet.