CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I ant talking of building a pen just for my pups. I'm talking bout building a pen. And train pups on inside and outside of pen. Using pen as primary source of training.
With economy lke it is do you guys think there is any money to be made

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Well Idk what kinda pen ur buildin but let me kno I have a few ideas

Post subject: Want 2 build coon pen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I want 2 build a coon pen but have never seen 1. I am lookin 4 plans or blue prints of 1. Can anybody help me out?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i think thats a lot of money to invest. you could buy a better dog and
pay someone to put it in there pen. and if your wanting to do it to train dogs for people, i think on the business side you would need a good dog of your own to show you can train pups from the begining. or work on your own line of dogs and sell them off your own stock.

i sent mine to dewy chapman from patric, sc 843 378 4443
he keeps them a month. think he hunts about every night
you might also call him and ask him about his pen. really nice guy always puts up with my dumb questions

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a friend that had one. It was 20 acres. 10 acres of planted pines and 10 acres of swamp with a deep canal in the middle that always has water in it. He feeds them corn, dog food, and peanut butter. He is always changing the location of feeding to keep them moving around in all areas of the pen. He had like 30 or 40 coons in his which was a few to many in my opinion. He only let young dogs hunt in the pen and charged 10.00 per head and you could put as many in it at a time it was up to you. He stayed booked up 6 to 7 nights a week. I love carrying my pups and young dogs over there it really helped them out alot and didn't have to worry about tracking systems while you were training them.
He pushed out a area all the way around wide enough that you could park three full size trucks side by side. He used 2x4 welded wire 6 ft. high for his fence with T post. Layed a 3 ft wide strip of wire on the inside around the bottom and attached it to the bottom of the 6 ft. tall fence plus ran two strainds of electric fence wire around the bottom close to the groud. At the top he used white pvc pipe that he attaced to the T post so it would hang over on the inside with three strainds of electric fence wire a couple of inches apart all the way around the top so the coons couldn't dig out the bottom or climb over the top of the fence. Every couple of months he would catch new fresh coons and swap them out with some of the other ones that was in the pen so they wouldn't get used to the dogs or you. It was a real nice set up. I hope this helps explain it a little bit.