CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: dog treeing possums
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I believe thats a little harsh there.If you have to do that to make a dog not tree possums i believe theres no hope for the dog.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:22 pm 
IP:
Man who would have thought a possums thread could go on for a 6 page thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dwoocox wrote:
Man who would have thought a possums thread could go on for a 6 page thread.

That's for sure! Hey... Why don't we just start our own possum hound registry?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

knock the possum outa the tree and when the dog grabs it hit it with a shock collar and do it every time he picks it up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Kill it and tie it to the dogs collar for about 4 or 5 days and at the end of that I will promise you he will not even look at one after that. It will start to smell bad and at the end he will not want to eat. But I have seen many dogs broke of opossum like that and it only takes one time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a male walker that was treeing coons real good. I got a couple more dogs now and since I have got them my dog only wants to tree possums. The first time he got a talking to. Last night he treed 2 in one tree and he got a talking to and lead away. When I turned him loose he went right back and treed again. So I gave him another talk and lead him futher away. He did not go back but he ended up treeing another one. He got a real good talking to then and put in the box and taken home. He is gonna stay in the pen for awhile. I don't know if he is mad because we got more dogs or what.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have whomped a dog with a oppossum on occasions.

But i have a method i grauntee will stop it. Make a small wire cage just big enough for oppossum and dog cant get to the oppussom get a dog house with sum holes sumwhere where dog can get sum air put dog in house put oppussum in cage in house then screw or board up the door so dog cant get out leave him in there first day second day get him out moring and evening just long enough for him to do his business and eat some in put him back in there do that till fourth day and i garuntee that oppossum will stink so bad that dog wont ever want to screw with one again.

Best do this in cooler areas so you wont heat stroke your dog id say 40s weather works pretty good. Have broke 5 dogs this way from opussums

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just use your E-COLLAR!!! :roll:

Start with a tone, then hit him with a low shock. If you have to, hit him with a higher setting until he quits the tree. Do this a few times and he should be broke off them.

NEVER shoot out a possum to your dog.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have read all i can stand. Why is it every body always have to have the fanciest stuff and newest equipment. what the heck is a e-collar. Im Just a little OLD FASHIONED. Some MEN from my grandparents generation had the best coon dogs known to man and they didn't have no E collar, they just established who was the boss.the first time a dog trees possum give it the biggest stomping you have ever gave a dog in your life and shoot the possum out to the dog but don't beat it on the tree beat it after you have shot the possum out you will make the dog think you are whoopin him for treein not what he treed. So anyways whoop him with the possum till he lays down,stick the possum in front of him and if he doen't run from it do it again. repeat this process till the dog runs from the possum. I have the best 14 month old BLACK AND TAN i have ever seen he treed his first coon by his self a month after the first time he was in the woods. He treed one posssum and no more I can turn him loose on possums and he will come back and lay at my feet if something else starts runnin it. You have to establish with the dog you are the master and he is the servant.I Had still rather have a dog that will tree a slick tail as run a white tail DEEEEER.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 pm 
IP:
my uncles dog did that and he shot it out on the dog and took it home with him tied it around the dogs neck and let it rot on the dog and the dog never messed with a opossum again

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:57 am 
IP:
I've heard every method going some popular some not so popular.If you like to beat on dogs beat on them I know for a fact it will work,I use to myself when I was younger and had great results does this make it right and the proper solution I don't think so.Personaly I wont keep a dog if I have to beat it to make it do what I want and like it to do.Putting them in barrells rolling them down hills,making them wear one till it rots off the collar,choking them down with amonia what ever your method.ask yourself one question would I want that done to me. :shock: I don't think so.I can always hope that one day each person in his or her way can come to realize that the true strenght of a persons character is how God's eyes perceives his actions.The above being said I would personaly shoot the oppossum down to the offending hound when he runs in and grabs it up correct him at that time.If he smells it then comes to realize it's not a coon and dosen't grab it up.Scold him,switch him with a switch and send him on. His feelings are hurt that you are not happy with him more than any physical hurt.Note:hound should be wearing e-collar and should be corrected if and when he grabs up the game. This puts the adverse reaction on the oppossum and not you.I don't whip or correct dogs for treeing off or short ,I leash them take them off the tree before any correction takes place. But to each his own on this theory.Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

iv done the beating with the possums and everything i found a shock collor does best if they keep treeing one.... plus i think shooten them out to a dog makes them think they are doing right idk its just me.... but if a possum runs right up the tree in front of them they will tree for a min and go on i think but gud luck and get a shocker they work real gud

cold cam creek kennels
pr:cold camp creek jabo
pr cold camp creek hunny dew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:59 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

bdog1 wrote:
I've heard every method going some popular some not so popular.If you like to beat on dogs beat on them I know for a fact it will work,I use to myself when I was younger and had great results does this make it right and the proper solution I don't think so.Personaly I wont keep a dog if I have to beat it to make it do what I want and like it to do.Putting them in barrells rolling them down hills,making them wear one till it rots off the collar,choking them down with amonia what ever your method.ask yourself one question would I want that done to me. :shock: I don't think so.I can always hope that one day each person in his or her way can come to realize that the true strenght of a persons character is how God's eyes perceives his actions.The above being said I would personaly shoot the oppossum down to the offending hound when he runs in and grabs it up correct him at that time.If he smells it then comes to realize it's not a coon and dosen't grab it up.Scold him,switch him with a switch and send him on. His feelings are hurt that you are not happy with him more than any physical hurt.Note:hound should be wearing e-collar and should be corrected if and when he grabs up the game. This puts the adverse reaction on the oppossum and not you.I don't whip or correct dogs for treeing off or short ,I leash them take them off the tree before any correction takes place. But to each his own on this theory.Good luck.

i agree 100% i dont have problems out of possums neither my male or my young female has ever messed with possums thank god now my old old female she will junk on them every now and then but the only thing i do is scold her a little and we are on our way to the next spot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

has anybody ever tried trapping 1 and putting it in front of the dog and every time it shows interest in it shock it? Ive shocked dogs after they have treed it but wouldnt it be better to send a dog in the woods knowing they arent supposed to mess with them? Then if they put 1 up you can shock them and they remember the pussum in the trap and getting shocked and treeing a possum and getting shocked .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:06 pm 
IP:
tie dog back pour ammonia on possum let dog have it, and whip dog with possum . one or two times and dog should quit possums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next