CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have been coon hunting for about 2 years, but always with older dogs. I have currently got a walker pup that is now 10 weeks old. He will ride in the dog box without barking. I know its a lil soon but he has found two drags 3 weeks apart. I have never had to train a dog from a pup, and am worried about him just becoming a pet, instead of a coon dog. He is very well clover bred but the thoughts still come to mind. What are ways you keep a pup from becoming just a pet? all advice is appreicated

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well all of my dogs are pets. If you are reffering to petting the dog to much or showing it too much love. I would say then dont worry about it. Let the dog be a dog pet it ,love it ,play with it show it attention and when he gets older let him know who boss is but dont worry about ruining a dog by treating it like a pet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:57 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Don't you like having a dog who likes being with you? You don't have to make it into a house hound but don't get worried about it learning to do some basic commands and enjoying a ride up front in the truck now and then. Seems like most on here put time into their dogs building trust and attachment so that they get better results when they hunt. Doesn't mean you make it into a spoiled pet but dogs can do more than just be hunters. They can also lay be your feet and stink up the room. Just kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:40 am 
IP:
It's important to set boundary's and rules with any dog pet or working dog. Basic obediance is a good start. Having a hound that minds you and trusts you and enjoys some "off" time with you is, in my opinion a bonus. I know a lot of old timers tell people not to make a pet out of their hounds because it will spoil them. I have proven this wives tail wrong many, many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:36 am 
IP:
My hound was a pet first and then became a hunter. I think those dual roles has made our fun and bonding in the field much greater. The down side is that I love him as far more than just a hunting dog that gets the job done, so I worry about his safety more. My dog isn't a COONDOG, but that's due to the owner's inexperience, not because he's a pet first and foremost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all the advice. I have always felt that if a dog likes you and trusts you he will listen to your commands. I think this is important when working on the obedience part of training, as well as in the hunting enviroment. I think the only reason I asked is because talking to some older hunters some say you never want a hound as a pet. but when hunting with them they could never get their dog to mind. once again thanks for the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:10 pm 
IP:
yep i have herad never keep a coon hound pup in the house cuz it will spoil it and to never help a dog into the box cause it will spoil it but i spoiled my little walker pup roton and he still turned out to be a half good dog before he died so idk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:12 pm 
IP:
MTCoonHunter wrote:
My hound was a pet first and then became a hunter. I think those dual roles has made our fun and bonding in the field much greater. The down side is that I love him as far more than just a hunting dog that gets the job done, so I worry about his safety more. My dog isn't a COONDOG, but that's due to the owner's inexperience, not because he's a pet first and foremost.

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I try not to get to attached to my dogs.I like most of them.They each have there own personality...I only get attached to my older dogs that Ive had for a while...The kids used to cry when I got rid of dogs or sold them...(You cant keep them all).Or you will have a yard full and a big feed bill..........LOL.......

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:41 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

well i'll tell you one thing. i got two blueticks a couple months ago, and the previous owner never gave them any attention except for being petted up at the tree with a coon in it. and the dogs were so hyped up all the time from no attention. and when the dogs got loose they NEVER came back to him or his house, he had to go out and look high and low for them. now i have the dogs, and they are outside dogs, and mainly just for hunting. but i built a bond with them, i walk them on the leash when i get bored, they come to the river with us occasionally. and i pet them and love on them during feeding time, and when my nieces and nephews are over they play and love on the dogs too. and guess what? they have found a way out of thier kennel 5 times now and everytime they have come back to the house willingly! usually they'll walk to the river and cool down and come back(because its daytime when they escape so they dont hunt) and i'm glad i built that bond with them. and they are sooo much calmer because they get attention daily.

dogs are supposed to be with people. thats thier instinct is to look to thier person to help them survive, they rely souly on ppl. and theres nothing wrong with having a pet/hunting dog. i have 4(2 beagles, 2 coonhounds) and the hunting instinct is all the same and so is the relying on people instinct. both are so ingrained in the dogs mind that theres no way to keep a hound from hunting other than never taking it to the woods in it's life. thats when you have JUST a pet, is when the dog never trees a drag or ever sees a patch of woods or live game.

CH'PR'MISSISSIPPI QUEEN TREEIN MEME
CH'PR'SWAMPMUSIC BLOOD SLINGING HOSS
'PR'RAPPAHANOCK JIGSAW BLADE
'PR'BREAKING DAWN JASPER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

it wont hurt them to be pets. i had a jack russel that i bought as a pet and 1 day it gt loose treed squirrel so i started hunting her she was 9 months old she slept in m bed everynight. the nephew played with her everyday. i hunted her all the time until about a year ago my dad caught me gone and gave her away. some of the best dogs start as pets that just want to please their owners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:17 am 
IP:
My dog does some of what hunter17 mentioned, he hunts because he wants to please me. He tracks for his own pleasure, it seems, but trees because it makes me happy. If I'm not there at the tree he leaves it pretty fast, which is a bummer, but if I'm there he'll bawl well but 75% of the time when he bawls he's looking at me.
One time he caught a coon on the ground and they started fighting. He'd go in for a bite and shake and then would step back and look at me wagging his tail. I was standing there screaming "either kill that thing or get far enough away so I can shoot it!" That fighting because he's under the impression that it pleases me (it sure doesn't) is going to go sour for him some day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What's everyone's views or opinions of having a bond with your dog(s). Do you find they hunt better or does it spoil them?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:08 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

dixie i think thats the most important thing you can do for a tree dog. a dog will mind better if they bond with ya. the best coon dog i ever saw lived in the house with a old man, ive hunted all my life and ive never seen a dog like that if i told some of the things that dog did nobody would believe it lol.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got my redbone pup at 9 weeks old and he is 6 months old now. Since the day I got him he has stayed in the fenced yard during the day while Im at work and hangs out with me after work outside or in the house.Yes he is house trained and stays in the house at night. Ive always let him ride in the front seat of my truck when just running to the store or to the woods. I do put him in a dog box when hunting with buddies and their hounds. I have trained him on coon hides, road kill, and caged coons all this time as well as teaching him obediance in or outside the house. I have hunted with older dogs and my pup listens better then most kennel dogs. Spoiled? You bet. Have older hunters made fun of me and my pup? You bet. Did he just tree 3 coons the other night at a little over 6 months old? Yes. He is by no means a finished COONDOG but at 6 months old Im more than happy with what he is doing. I believe everything he does right is due to all the time Ive spent with him bonding and gaining his trust. There is one huge downfall to having a house hound though, that is the pup coming home from a hunt smelly, wet, and muddy. Best solution is dry off with old towel and wipe off with a couple baby wipes haha beats fighting him to give him a bath all the time.