CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This is a nice redtick female. I have been in the woods with some excellent coonhounds and she was as good and accurate as any. She was the type of hound that if she split from the other dogs 9 times out of 10 she would be the dog with the meat. My cousin bred her to a freinds male dog and she had 12 pups. Well this season she acts like a barely started dog, struggling with tracks, slick treeing and such. I have heard of this happening but have never seen it before. Now she trows some good coondogs, we have a 3 year old daughter out of her that is a fine hunting female, and all of her pups from this litter are running and treeing with other dogs and they are about 10 moths old, so are well on their way to making some fine hounds also. Now if she were mine I would leave her at home and only breed her. What can we do about straitening her out if anything? Would makeing her a brood female be the best bet?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:25 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have heard of females having pups and then after having pups act like they never been in the woods before. Best medicine is to keep hunting her. Some females get messed up in the head temporarily after having pups. Hormones or what not? Guess they are no different than women who get messed up after having a baby (postpartum)

Only thing you can do is keep hunting her if you want to try and fix it.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: pregnant dog
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

got problem 5 year old red bone, was [ is ] very good coon dog, not great but good, hunted by her self little, with other dog most of the time, she never has like hunting by her self, she the old time red bone, slow on track, hard chop on tree, she usely has a coon, very good puppy dog, have trained puppy with her and after about 10 or 12 hunts a lot of times the puppy would be better then her, but she keeps going, shes the old dog no one would have but no one would get rid of her, any ways i bread her to a very good dog she raised the puppy they have been off her 2 month, this is her second litter, now she want hunt by her self or with other dogs, with other dog i have to get switch to make her go into wood, she has treed twice with other dogs and not very well, and none by her self, by her self i used to walk her into wood if she didnt want to go and she would get the idea, now she want leave my side, any ideas would help. randell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

funny buck shot, my wife ask if she done any thing last night when i came home, then she ask what i thought was the mater with her , my words were, [ she just like a damn woman ], and i dont bread a lot of dogs when i do its mostly for myself, once ever 2 to 4 years, but that may be what i have to do, let her be a yard dog, i will keep taking her for a while see if she get her head on stright,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have an issue, my female had a litter of pups this past fall and hasn't hunted the way she use to since. She use to show me lots of coon and was rarely wrong. Now she will start a track and sometimes will take it and move it and others just seems to strike and screw around and bot do anything with it. Was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there is anything I can do besides hunt her and hope she gets over it and goes back to normal. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:14 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i had a couple of females that after they had pups was not the same dog for a long time in fact i had one that never treed by herself again for what ever reason. she would hunt hard as any dog i ever saw but but never treed a coon. i had one that took several months before she was treeing coons again and she was just as good if not better then she ever was. all i can tell you to do is hunt em.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

How old is the dog now???.How many litters of pups has she had???.Is she being hunted with different dogs Than before??..Some dogs look a lot better when they are younger.As they get older just seam to loose interest or just not the same dog..It could be from having pups and her hormons are messed up.Or she could have had a stroke when having her last litter..I think you could have a vet check her out and see if her bloodwork is OK...If I owned her and I though she was a good reproducer and could improve the breed.Id look for the best bred and top reproducing male I could find. Then place the pups in the best possible hunters hands and see what happens..I would keep a few for myself...LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

She is five and has had 1 litter. And I do have 3 males out of the litter lol she has just been hunted with the dogs she always has been for the last 3-4 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

IV got an english female with a simular problem that im trying to work out but every time she comes off of a heat cycle she acts like shes lost her mind she will run the track and will get on the tree a little bit but just wont lock down. she also starting showing some of this behavior a few days before starting her cycle. I honestly think it just takes a while for them to work out those crazy hormones

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well good update about my female...she has started comin around again to the way she use to be thankfully.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

have them spayed