CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 20 month old b&T
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I started this male on caged coon never letting him see it just turning it loose and letting him run it. We did this maybe 4-5 times and he treed several, then I started hunting this male on hot tracks over feeders and when i see a coon cross the road. We did this alot. Now I want him to find his own track. The problem is npw when I let him out of the box I'll will lead him into the timber and he imediatly runs to the truck and makes several laps around the truck looking for the hot track, when he can't find a hot track he loads up. I have tried walking him through the timber and every time I think he is going to go on through the timber he heads right back to the truck. At one point I had him on a leash going through the trees he started whining and opening up so i turned him loose and had a deer chase, I think he is thinking that what ever hot track I put him on he is too run. What can I do different.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: 20 month old b&T
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

WELL Im guess Its pretty easy..Thats the way the dog was started ..So thats what hes doing.This is what he was trained to do.Theres a few things you can do..The best thing for a dog like this is a long lay off.AT least 30 days of no hunting..Up to 6 or longer months if possible...I know that sound like a long time.but The dog needs to forget what he was doing and start over..He will still run and tree .Just learn how to go find the track...ID hunt him with a good dog .Lead him from the truck as soon as the dog opens and he shows interest going to the other dog..Cut him Loose to the other dog....If you cant wait that long?????......Just take him hunting in a big woods.Find you a log to sit on and let him loose.Sooner or later he will go hunting.Dont talk to him or pet on him.Or he will stay with you......

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW