CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: When to hunt a dog alone
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a walker male that turned 1 on the 13th. He will run with other dogs and I have had him strike first. The other night I took him out alone and he would only go about 50 yards away then come back. So I walked him into the woods he started getting excited so I turned off my light and he opened up then circled back to the truck and stayed by the truck.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Maybe you should catch a caged coon and dont let him see the cage or the coon in it but let it go like 5-10 mins before you go to hunt him alone and then stick him right on that track and let him go for it. If its a hot steaming track he shouldnt have a problem with it. Being 1 he should be mature enough to do it on his own but sometimes it takes longer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:09 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Keep hunting the dog.It takes 10-30 times or more for many young dogs to start hunting good alone after being hunted with other dogs..Once a dog trees alone, split trees or trees ahead of other dogs a few times there ready to be hunted alone..I like to see dogs hunted alone as much as possible.After they are 11-12 months old ..Treeing is the hard part.I feel most dogs can pick up trailing along the way....Some are just better than others picking up trailing...The more a dogs hunted alone should make them more independant .But that does not happen all the time...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

most young dogs when singled out after being hunted with others will act just like you described, singling one out will take more patients then any other training you have done with him.dont get mad and try and make him go,he will only go hide. take him to puppy woods that are easy goin and have coon that have not been dogged to death.ease in there a little like you did,sooner or later he will start to go look on his own. ease him down creeks and places he should get a track going.dont get him in the habit of you walkin with him or he will just replace having to have the other dog to go with having to have you go with him.ease in and sit down, let him hunt ,then ease in a little further. takes patients, alot of patients.remember its a whole new ballgame for him to go alone,even if you know he can do it alone on the track and tree, your now training him to go hunting alone.may take alot of nights and he may go back to the truck to look for the other dog or to feel safe more then a few times. just know it starting out,and relize you being patient is more important on this then anything else.just in case you think about turning him on one that crosses the road to get him a hot track ,dont....it will cause you even more work to get him to go look in the woods.his mind is like sticky glue for training mistakes to perminantly cross thread his brain at his age.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am have ALMOST the same problem. My dog is 14 months old she will tree a caged coon and when turned loose on a hot track tree it also but will not go hunting with or without other dogs. Do I need to take her more by herself or with other dogs? First Dog NEED HELP!!

The guy I got her from said he walked her too much as a puppy can this be corrected?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How do you walk a puppy to much!!!!! Just keep the dog in Coon country and instinct will kick in or it won't!!!!!!

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She relies on me to walk her over a track she will stay about ten yards from me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:14 pm 
IP:
jp6225 wrote:
She relies on me to walk her over a track she will stay about ten yards from me.

get you a book, and take her down there and read the book/magazine.. she'll eventually get tired of you.. make SURE theres a heep of coons in the area.. that way when she wonders, she'll wonder on to a track.. if all else fails what i do with young dogs is take a cage coon and put them say about 60 yards in the woods and let the dog go in that direction.. make sure the coons wet that way it has a louder smell to it.. if the dog isn't showing no interest in leaving after about 30 mins.. walk about 30 yards and cut the distance in half.. if the dog is just smellin up in the air and not leavin.. you might need to start over.. but its kind of soon to tell if the dog is younger than a 1.5 years old... but anywho if the dog steal dosn't leave.. walk about 15 yards from the coon and it should see the coon and go up to it.. then tie the dog back, take the cage and make about a 100 yard drag make it fairly easy, and let the dog go and let it work the track, when and if it trees it, pet the dog.. take the dog back home let it lay up for a day or so then take the dog back out put the cage coon back out there and see if it won't go out a little more.. try usin a different location this time and maybe your dog will start going off.. ALOT of dogs won't hunt by thereselves.. its the way there bread its all in there genetic pool.. if the dog ain't got it; it just aint got it.. BUT if the dog is young and ain't older than a 1.5 old.. you just got to be patient thats all.. anywho IF the dog goes and findes the cage coon.. do the same thing.. make a drage and pet.. let it lay up for about about a day or so.. THIS TIME you take the coon wet it and let it go in a field where it runs to a tree line.. then you take your dog and let it go about 50 yards in2 the track.. that way the dog has to GO OUT and find it.. once it does that and runs across the track and runs it to the tree and trees it you got it.. now this dosn't mean its finished or nothing but you see it gots it.. once again lay it up for a day or so.. you then let about 3 or 4 more coons go without the dog seeing the coons or knowing anything about them and if it trees them you MIGHT have something.. if it don't.. you might won't to consider another dog if its old enough and ben on enough tracks to know what a coon is and knows that it has to tree.. don't fall in the hype about shootin coons out to dogs.. it helps BUT its not as helpfull as people tell you.. you won't to keep as many coons in your area as possible.. if it was me.. i'd shoot the 1st one out with no fight.. and MAYBE THE LAST ONE.. but some hunters will tell you that the dog will make it if it opens on track and trees the coon.. BUT thats not true.. runnin a hot coon is totaly different from gettin in the woods strikin up and locatin a coon thats ben dogged on b4.. cause the cage coon is going up the 1st tree it gets to usually.. not the coon that is eatin on the bank and heres the hounds and knows what that means

anywho,

hope this helps!

later

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My dog split treed the other night and had the coon so I think he is about reading to do it on his own. We will try in a couple of days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:07 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it takes patients and commitment. if you break and hunt her with the other dog it will not make her hunt for coon alone. you will just have to keep taking her and wait. walk her in the woods and grab a seat. she will either eventually get bored and go look or ball up and take a nap.you just got to stick with your commitment to get her to hunt alone. if you walk her, stop often and let her hunt out from you, after she starts finding coon to run she should be on her way to hunting out more and you not having to walk her. it may (will) take some time.i have taken the broke dog out of the truck and put it in the cab.then i took the pup out of the box and turned it in the woods, thinking the other dog was in the woods ,the pup blasted in. sometimes they came back,other times they actually found a track and treed and they were on their way. but it was a last resort trick to make them go and often the pup will come back looking for the other dog.. you have to get the dog to go because it wants to get a coon and confident enough to go look for one alone. i tried to make some go and ended up with a dog that would just go hide. make sure you only have the young dog with you with no dogs left in the truck. this is a common problem with pups trained with other dogs. takes time and patients to single them out.,know it will try your patients during this training, know it going in to this and dont get discouraged. its gonna take awhile of you and her standing in the woods looking at each other.i've had some i had to just ignore and some i had to pat their side and get them fired up a little walking them in and telling them wheres it at or find em.always try and get them to where they may find a track.puppy woods that dont have coon that have been dogged out.you want easy coon for them at first. .. dont give in to putting them on a coon that crosses the road,its tempting,but they will want to hunt and run the road when you turn them loose after that.with a young dog stuff like that sticks with them in there mind for a long time and then you will have much more training to get them to go to the woods to look.once you get it to hunting good alone,then you can start training it to go alone with another dog left in the truck box....LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

firemankc11 wrote:
My dog split treed the other night and had the coon so I think he is about reading to do it on his own. We will try in a couple of days.
alot of pups are ready to go alone before we actually see it. i try and take them alone every now and then just to get them used to going alone, before they show me they can tree,split tree or tree ahead of the other dog.makes singling them out alot easier. had some that had no problem going alone from the get go.and had some that once they split treed and stuff ,i found i had created more work because they had been ready to go alone for awhile and i did not see any sign to tell me.alot of nice young hounds are sold because the owner did not have the patients to single them out.you got to put them in there alone over and over. it aint gonna happen in a night or two with most.a big mistake alot of people make is to put them back with the other dog thinking they just need a few more coon. training them to go alone actually is a different thing all together from if they can tree their own coon. that dont mean sqwat if they wont go look alone.nothin will bum a person out more then to relize the young dog can do it alone,they just wont go look alone...stick to your guns and be pateint.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

[quote][/quote]((I am have ALMOST the same problem. My dog is 14 months old she will tree a caged coon and when turned loose on a hot track tree it also but will not go hunting with or without other dogs. Do I need to take her more by herself or with other dogs? First Dog NEED HELP!!)).........................This is why a cage coon should never be over used.Or used to young..It can really mess up a young dog even a older dog... A Cage coon should be the last thing to try before giving up on a dog........What happens with most dogs if they have this type of problem is.They have to see the coon or have a real hot trail to do anything with it....Sometimes the best thing for these kinda dogs is a long lay off from hunting..At least a few months might help..A few weeks wont in most cases.......You want to quit the cage coon.It will only make the dog worse.......You should read everything you can about coonhound training.I like the Walk With Wick books.....

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

jp6225 wrote:
I am have ALMOST the same problem. My dog is 14 months old she will tree a caged coon and when turned loose on a hot track tree it also but will not go hunting with or without other dogs. Do I need to take her more by herself or with other dogs? First Dog NEED HELP!!

The guy I got her from said he walked her too much as a puppy can this be corrected?
i agree fully with chet on the caged coon, it will just cause you more work and problems then anything.
as far as hunting, do both, but if you put her with another dog and she wont go, put her back in the truck and leave her even if or when she raises hell wanting to go. if on the next drop if she wont go , put her back in the truck. if a dog wont go,i aint gonna stand there and look at it. leave her in the truck till the next drop. dont let her out to follow you to the tree.i could be wrong,but i think you will have to get her to go with a dog before you will have a chance for her to go alone. i would keep given her the chance to go alone too though.alot of young dogs wont go with a dog they dont know or like.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well he treed by himself last night. BUT it was a oposum it was his first ever so I just lead him off and went to a new spot. Going to try again tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hey, thats a start! At least he's going out on his own, if he does a couple more times I would punish him for it, but make sure he knows what he's getting punished for. He'll tree his first one pretty soon and you'll be the happiest guy ever