CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi all! I'm new here, but I only came here for one purpose, so I thought I'd get right to it, rather than posting an intro. Hope that's ok.

I don't hunt, and I don't know anybody who hunts with dogs since my dad passed last summer. And he was a Beagle guy.

What I do, is rescue dogs. Specifically, I'm a volunteer for a dog rescue in S.E. Michigan. I just got a new foster dog - the shelter we pulled her from called her a Treeing Walker Coonhound. Looking at the picture they sent, I'd agree:

However, when I got her here, her ears seem too long and set too low, and her dome seems too high to be a Treeing Walker. The shape of her head looks almost bluetick, except for the coloring:

Here's one more picture that shows her overall body structure, and a better view of the shape of her ears and dome:

What do you think? Is she a Treeing Walker or something else? The main reason I want to know is to get a sense of what breed characteristics (in terms of temperament) might influence finding the right family for her.

(Side note - you'll see that she's extremely emaciated. She was on the street a long time before being picked up by animal control. As a tender-hearted rescuer, I want to plead, plead, PLEAD with you all to microchip your dogs. Most of the hound-types in shelters are there because they got lost during a hunt. Most of them don't make it out. "Kacey" got lucky, and got taken in by a rescue. Most of them aren't so lucky.)

(Side note 2 - because of the circumstances we've seen in side note 1, our rescue doesn't adopt out dogs specifically for hunting, although I myself am not anti-hunting. It's just that we see too many of these poor hounds die in shelters, every day. Besides which, from what I've seen Kacey probably isn't a good hunter - f'rinstance, she treed a squirrel in my yard (after not noticing it until she was within 3 feet of it!), looked at it a minute, then got bored and wandered off. Didn't "tell" me about it (bay), either. Maybe that's because it wasn't a raccoon, but still...)

I hope posting this is ok! I checked a few other boards for coonhounds, but most of them were really inactive. One only had three posts since 2009! Another hadn't had any posts in about 3 months. If you don't want me here, feel free to tell me to go away. It's nothing I haven't heard before. :)

Thanks for reading!
Karen

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i beleive its a walker seen plenty of them like that its a shame how people let dogs get that way gotta take care of them thats part of having a dog it looks like a walker id say, i thank people like you for rescuing dogs wish i could get a job doing that but thats wat i think it is a walker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the reply, Jeffery. Maybe the shelter was right, then. I know lots of dogs differ from the "breed standard."

And you're right - part of having a dog is taking care of it. I don't even want to know people who don't understand that.

As far as getting a job doing this... well, it's not like I get paid... except in the pure pleasure of finding a homeless dog the right family, of course. :D But our rescue, like most of them, is all volunteer, so it's less a "job" than a sometimes-expensive "hobby."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Its definitly a walker.Mine has long ears just like that one.Keep up the good work and as far as im concerned ur always welcome here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

OK, that's two votes for Walker, from people who know what they're talking about. I say it's settled. (For all I know, the people at the shelter knew what they were talking about, too, but I've seen some mighty weird breed guesses in the past, so you just can't be sure.)

Thank you both! (And thanks for the welcome, too!)

Karen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:18 pm 
IP:
definatly a walker. and thinks for wat u do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks, Walker Hounds! If anybody would know, it's you!

Karen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just thought you'd like to see some updated pictures. Kacey has put on about 7 pounds, and probably has about 5 more to go to be healthy. But the girl is lookin' good, no?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:16 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

she looks good and looks like a walker and everybody is welcomed here as far as im concerned

pr clarks go hard or go home blue cowboy
pr clarks go hard or go home blue lucy
go visit my website it is gohardorgohomebluetickkennels.weebly.com