CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Haven't seen anyone do this, but I just got my Garmin Astro this week. I've saved all my hunts(only 2 so far) to my computer so I can look back at them for years to come. Also will come in handy for studying patterns in hunting spots etc. Mark your coon treed and post your hunts here with or without the story to go with it.
This was a really short hunt since I've been sick: treed in brush pile along creek first, then saw the eyes in hollow while leading dog away from it. Turned him loose and treed the double 10 min. later. Saw the single's eyes while shining the double. I led Boone away from the tree and he started pulling me towards it, so let him go and he ran and treed on the single real quick. Headed to the truck since I've been feeling really bad, and didn't want to wear myself out.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Pretty cool, lets see more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:59 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Rem I'll keep posting them when I finally get back out to hunt. I've been laid up with the flu for a while now. Funny thing is, I think Boone has it too. He's sounds just like me when he breathes this week. I've been exporting them to Google Earth too so I'll post a few of those screen shots when we get more hunting done. It's neat to see it over layed with the actual satellite images where you can see the trees etc. They make a lot more sense to someone not familiar with the area when you can tell where the actual woods/crops etc. are.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Slowly regaining my energy after the flu. Here's tonight's hunt. You might have to click on it to make it bigger.
Boone struck right after I let him go. He treed near the red dot for a couple minutes, but when I got closer I saw the coon jump out. Ran him and treed again where it says "coon 1 shot". This was a 26lb boar, huge smart coon, and obviously very tough. This was a 10ft. shot in a small tree right between the eyes. The coon fell out down a small dirt cliff and into the creek. He took off as hard as he could run. Heavy blood every 10-15 feet smeared on leaves and grass. Boone got down to the creek after about 10 seconds and got on the trail. I was expecting a quick catch and bay/kill but that didn't happen. We ran him all the way to "coon 1 killed". I saw blood almost that entire walk. He didn't hardly have a drop in him when we treed him for the 3rd time. The garmin said 1210 ft from shot to kill as the crow flies. pretty impressive for a coon losing that much blood. Boone's avg. on that track was 5.7mph.

Leashed him and headed for the truck. Saw coon 2 really low in a bushy tree right on the fence line. He was a bigger boar coon than the first one. He was literally in the last tree before the field and truck. Boone started winding him, so I let him off the leash. He treed hard on it and I grabbed the gun. Glasses fogged over so I took them off and wiped them. As I did this I heard the coon thud and take off running. Boone had just managed to cross the fence to the other side when he jumped back onto my side of the fence. Took him 8-10 seconds to find a spot to get back to my side. By then he was just trailing, no sight of the coon. I figured this would be another long haul. I left coon 1 at this spot and started after Boone. This track averaged 7.8 mph. Thank god for my Astro, as he was 570yds over 2 hills from me with his head in and out of a hole and I lost his voice. Leashed him and made the long walk back to the truck. Very interesting night with 2 huge coon on pretty long runs for us. 80% of the coon we tree are smaller ones that only run a couple hundred yards, so this was a great challenge. Boone handled it well, although I think if he was just a little faster on the draw he could have caught or pressured them up a tree quicker. Both tracks had fences and stuff he had to work through that got him a little off their heels.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:08 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Here's a screenshot of the last hunt track imported into Google Earth. I whited out some spots to hide the location. I noticed where I let Boone go is not accurate. I let him go right at the beginning of the trees. I think I forgot to hit "start new hunt" until there so it reset his track.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:14 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Would be nice to see some other people's hunts in this format. If you don't know how I can help you get it posted. Also you don't need the topo map loaded, you could just post it with the default map, or do the "view in Google Earth" to show us the terrain. I'd really like to see what other's go through in a night. As you can see most of my hunts are about 2 hours. I try to keep them short since I've had both my hips replaced but sometimes the coons run a little further and Boone will go as far as he needs on a track.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Really? Nobody else will share their hunts? Seems like a lot of people have these now according to all the product reviews on this site.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:32 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Treed in a huge brush pile in the middle of the river. Leashed Boone up and headed back out near the corn field. Struck another track well and treed a large boar coon near the railroad tracks. Home by 8pm.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:01 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I plan on buying a garmin, maybe with my tax return this year. I'm a "map" guy thats why I like to look at these. It really shows you what your dog is up to, is he hunting or just screwing around. My dog is a close hunter, and I hunt small patches, so I don't even own a tracker. I'm planning on starting another dog, so I'm going to want a tracking system. I'm gonna buy what I can afford when the time comes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have had my astro for about a year now, how do you get the tracks from the hand set to the forum here?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Did you install the mapsource software on your computer that comes with it? Once you've done that, just plug it into your computer and open the software. Click "receive from device" make sure "tracks" is check marked and click receive. That's it. It will copy all the tracks onto your computer to view on mapsource. From there you can save a screen shot by hitting the "prtScr" or "print screen" button on your keyboard. Open a new bitmap image using paint and select "paste". Mapsource also has an option to view in google earth which opens it in google earth for the aerial shots.
It's pretty well documented in the astro manual and mapsource users guide.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thanks I will try that, hope to post some tracks up for you soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Been laid up over a week now. After the 3rd day of Boone not walking on his front paw, I took him to the vet because I couldn't see anything in it. Vet didn't see anything either but Boone didn't like us looking so we sedated him and found a locust thorn over an inch long. He's walking on it good now, just a little tender so I hope to get out tomorrow. Pretty frustrating to miss 2 of the first 4 weeks of the season after waiting all year for it to get here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I will start posting when I start back out hunting gun season is right now so not coon hunting until it is over

No one came, except God
When I needed a breath to rise, from my sleep
No one could help me.. except God

When all I saw was sadness, and I needed answers
No one heard me, except God
So when I'm asked.. who I give my unconditional love to?
I look for no other name, except God”
Tupac Shakur 1971-1996

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:08 pm 
IP:
ill try and put mine up tomorrow night if i can figure it out. i hope more try this.. this is cool as heck!!!