CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi all, I'm new here. A month and a half ago I adopted this little girl as a rescue... She's about 6.5 months old. The people we got her from said she's a "mixture of hounds", they think Beagle and Walker. They're not sure as they never seen the parents (she was part of a litter of 7 pups rescued from a shelter in NC I believe).

She seems to have the treeing instinct as she's already treed a squirrel. Physically I can see some resemblance to a Walker. She's got the tail, body shape, feet (I believe) and even the face. But she's quite small. At 6.5 months she's about 25lb, maybe a bit more, and at least 15 inches tall.

Here are some pictures of her. I don't know if I can see beagle in her, but if she doesn't get much bigger I suppose it's possible. Other opinions I've gotten range from foxhound to harrier. What do you guys think?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

maybe half walker half english redtick?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hm, possibly! She does have a bit of red ticking (I know it's a little hard to see in the pics but it's there).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'd say she's got a lil fox hound in her. Fox hounds are usually smaller than coonhounds and they can't range in many different colors. If she gets bigger and more hound lookin than she's got walker in her. But I don't see it. With her ears that small and the way her face is she looks more like and English foxhound.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was thinking she could have some foxhound in her (the vet also said it was possible). She does have a pretty deep chest. Only thing I wonder about is her feet. They're fairly large with long toes. Most of what I've seen of foxhounds is that they've got round, cat-like feet. But maybe she's still in that awkward puppy stage.

Could have a foxhound/coonhound mix here I guess.. best to wait till she's a little older & more fully grown to make a more educated guess?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:41 pm 
IP:
They have DNA texting to find out what's in your dog... You should try it, you would be surprised!

Heritage Hounds
CH 'PR' Evenstar N Heritage Mint Julep "Julep"
'PR' Fords Traveling Jack "Bobby"
Future home of unborn pup:
'PR' Heritage RazorRidge Topwater Pop-R "Rebel"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've read about that and was curious. Would love to find out what's there! Is it really expensive?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:03 pm 
IP:
It was like 40 or 60 I think

Heritage Hounds
CH 'PR' Evenstar N Heritage Mint Julep "Julep"
'PR' Fords Traveling Jack "Bobby"
Future home of unborn pup:
'PR' Heritage RazorRidge Topwater Pop-R "Rebel"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ah ok that's not too bad... I'll check it out.

Def believe she's got coonhound in her though. She's always jumping up on everything lol and she managed to tree a squirrel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:23 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Maybe even some July hound in her. She's definitely got running blood.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She definitely seems to. She is an amazing runner. Also loves to take running leaps.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Update: I managed to get pics of my pup and a few of her sisters when they were 8 wks old. One looks a lot like a black & tan coonhound, two look like redbones, and the other is a tricolor... maybe more like a walker. I don't know if that would mean much considering they're so young in these pics (if anyone would like me to post them to get a look, let me know), but would it be possible for them to be a mix of a few coonhounds together? (as well as possibly foxhound/harrier or other hound)

Will look into the DNA test but thought it was interesting how varied they were in color/appearance.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Another update: I sent an email with pics to the American Foxhound Association asking their opinion. They believe my girl is at least part foxhound since her head resembles that of a foxhound. They think her body is different, especially the topline and they suspect she's also either harrier or treeing walker. I've done one of those DNA tests on her and sent it away so we'll see what happens.

I really believe she has *some* kind of coonhound in her. Her treeing instinct is really strong. She trees birds and squirrels, and at a little over 7 months old is trying to climb the trees (branches aren't very sturdy though). She has a strong prey drive as well. Whenever I'm walking her and she sees a bird, rabbit or squirrel she'll stare at it, start stalking it and take off running after it. Usually with a loud, choppy, screaming type of bark.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Last update: Got the results back from the DNA test. Seems my girl is indeed Walker, but also Beagle and Greyhound (!). That last one is a surprise as she doesn't really have any of the physical traits... She is a very fast runner and will immediately take off after any small wild animal she sees. But that's about it. Think she resembles a Walker and Beagle more physically - Beagle may account for the smaller size. But she def bays and howls - and trees - like a Walker.

Not sure exactly how accurate these tests are, and if they find everything, but thought this one was pretty good.