CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Do I have a Coonhound?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This dog was a stray that found my husband in Oklahoma. He brought him home. He was crazy skinny, you could see every bone. He had no collar, but looks to have had something around his neck because it was stained blackish. He is extremely smart and a quick learner (on SOME things) Vet said coonhound about 1-2 years old. He tries to climb trees after squirrels and has that distinctive bark and bay. I have looked at several types of hounds and each breed has one that looks like him. I guess the only way to tell is those dna kits? Appreciate your opinion! I will try to upload some photos.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

this is most likely an English coonhound or treeing walker. More than likely an English.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

'PR' Timber Chopper Jake

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

And that next to last pic....he is not that fat!! Yeah he has some meat on him now, but he doesn't look like a stuffed sausage like that photo looks like....LOL!! Must be the angle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks Koce. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

looks like a english redtick to me.
go to the english forum in the classifieds on here and you will find some pics of redticks. (english bluetick ,english redticks and tri colored english)
he could possibly be a walker or redtick/walker cross also since his white is clean with few ticks showing.
walkers,blueticks and english were all the same breed of coonhound untill 1945 & 1946 when they seperated and were recognized as 3 differant breed colors.
his tie dyed looking ears are commonly refered to by the us old guys as motley ears.
there are many reasons coonhounds end up at rescue shelters, stolen and then dumped if they get too hot to keep, lost running deer or just left by lowlife owners because the dogs just don't have the tools or training to be good coondogs.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Red and white english I have English Coonhounds

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:20 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hound looks a lot like the majestic.

[/quote] or just left by lowlife owners because the dogs just don't have the tools or training to be good coondogs.[/quote]

I think you're right and the lowlife types are usually to dumb to evaluate a hound or train one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

yeah, how could you just dump a dog? My husband felt too bad to just leave him there and really didn't want to bring me another dog since we had 3 rescues already. I could have found him another home, but he was sort of a challenge and was so big and goofy I got attached quick!
He may be a crummy hunter since he was so thin....LOL I'm not a hunter, so he only gets to chase the squirrels and rabbits in the backyard (lots) But he fell into a VERY pampered life of a housedog. Shoulda named him Lucky :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:40 am 
IP:
16paws wrote:
yeah, how could you just dump a dog? My husband felt too bad to just leave him there and really didn't want to bring me another dog since we had 3 rescues already. I could have found him another home, but he was sort of a challenge and was so big and goofy I got attached quick!
He may be a crummy hunter since he was so thin....LOL I'm not a hunter, so he only gets to chase the squirrels and rabbits in the backyard (lots) But he fell into a VERY pampered life of a housedog. Shoulda named him Lucky :)

Regardless of what kind of dog he is, he IS INDEED very lucky to have new owners that care. Thanks for doing what you're doing. Keep up the good work, ya'll.