CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:28 pm 
IP:
I read where you can set a scope rifle For a 30-06 or .270 by setting up at 25 yards. When you cut center at 25 yards , you'll be an inch high at 100 yards and dead on at 200 yards.

:?: Does anyone know if this is true for an .243 scope rifle also? Or does anyone have an easier way to set it with out having to have the whole 100 yards like at the gun range. Thanks!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

That will be close with a 243 also,depends on the load.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:48 pm 
IP:
The load would be 150 grain for the 30-06 to be accurate. So do you think 100 grain for the .243 would be close?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This is just my opinion, but I think you would be much better off setting the scope at 100 yards.A high power rifle bullet doesn't pick up it's full velocity at 25 yards, so it seems hard to say it will be exactly 1 inch high at 100 yards and dead on at 200.It may be worth a try, though, I'm certainly no expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

hunterswife wrote:
The load would be 150 grain for the 30-06 to be accurate. So do you think 100 grain for the .243 would be close?

Ive hunted with a 243 most of my life(about 30 years of hunting)I would say yes that would be about right. I shoot a 85 gr hp(federal) Dead on at 50 is about an inch high at 100.And about dead on to slightly low at 200

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:20 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

COleman is right. You should try to set your scope for at least 100 yards. 25 is just too close While a 100 gr .243 is close to a 150 gr .30-06 there really is no substitute for going out and sighting it in. there are too many variables like size of the powder charge, type of slug you use, even barrel length can play a role in the trajectory of the slug. Here are the ballistics for a hornady 100 gr spire point .243 and a hornady 150 grain spire point .30-06

100 yds 200 yds 300 yds
1.60 0.00 -7.10

1.70 0.00 -7.40

as you can see they are close, but not identical. and that is under carefuklly controlled conditions, so your mileage probably will vary.

good luck

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:11 pm 
IP:
Thanks for all the input. Hubbie tryed setting the rifle long range style last year and it was way off, kids could of bumped scope or anything, but we figured we would try this method mentioned and see how it does. Just wasnt sure if this method would work with the gun mentoned. I gues we'll find out eh! :lol: We'll try to get out to the gun range and re-check the accuracy after wards.
Deer season starts Aug 15th so we got to get ready. Saw 3 bucks in Full velvet running together through our back field. If we dont get em the darn still hunting club next door will!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

they are all right 25 yds is too close. if i were you just set up at 200 yds and site it in right there. that is what we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

What I suggest you do is take it to your local Gun store. Most of them have collimeters and can at least get your scope "on paper". It only takes a minute or two and they'll only charge a couple of bucks to do so. Also, have them check the mounts, and the mounting screwes. There should be some loc-tite holding the mounting screws down. If they are loose, you may want to have them mount them right. This might be something you can do yourself, just de-grease both the screws and the holes and use a drop of loc-tite on the threads. Some gunsmiths use the red kind (permanent), but I like the blue, just in case you ever want to change mounts.

good luck

Post subject: ballistics
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:08 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I read that a 243 drops much more than a 30-06 at 200yds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:44 am 
IP:
Is this a bolt gun? If so, take out the bolt and look through the barrel...match what ya see into the scope, making W and E changes until the site picture matches. Now, shoot a group at 100yds...you should be pretty close if not perfect. I use this method over a collimeter with very good success. Collimeters are only usefull, in my opinion, when taking a scope off a rifle and then putting it back on..helps to maintain your zero. Either way, just be sure to shoot at 100 if you plan to take a shot at game at 100!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:49 am 
IP:
also, a bullet is at it's peak velocity as soon as it leaves the bore. Once it leaves the muzzle, it starts rapidly slowing down as atmospheric friction imparts it's effect. Gravity begins to pull the bullet to earth, also slowing it down and causing it to drop as soon as it exits the muzzle. A rifle will only be at zero at 100 yds. if it is shooting high as 25yds, and so on.

Post subject: Re: ballistics
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

parkerhillskennels wrote:
I read that a 243 drops much more than a 30-06 at 200yds

It depends on alot of factors, my comparision used a 100 gr slug for the .243 and a 150 gr for the .30-06 and the figures I used came right out of the Hornady reloading manual. change slugs weights and powder charge and ballistics also change drastically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:33 pm 
IP:
houndtooth = the information you gave appers to be correct. Thanks! Another thing hubbie found out was when adusting the scope to go down you turn it up and when up you go down. No wonder it took him so long to sight in a rifle before. He was bass backwards!LOL! Well its almost deer season and we're ready set to go! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

houndtooth wrote:
also, a bullet is at it's peak velocity as soon as it leaves the bore. Once it leaves the muzzle, it starts rapidly slowing down as atmospheric friction imparts it's effect. Gravity begins to pull the bullet to earth, also slowing it down and causing it to drop as soon as it exits the muzzle. A rifle will only be at zero at 100 yds. if it is shooting high as 25yds, and so on.

EVERY high power rifle I've ever shot shoots higher at 100 yards than it does at 25.That means the bullet picked up speed between 25 and 100.Go to the range and try it.You're much better taking a 25 yard shot with a rifle dialed in at 100 yards than a 100 yard shot with a rifle dialed in at 25.That's an unwritten law of hunting clear- cuts.