CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:59 pm 
IP:
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007 ... fles_.html

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks for shareing Doogie Dawg. I guess all us hunters should be called SNIPERS since during the Vietnam conflict, the first sniper rifle was a hunting rifle and scope.

Let your dogs run wild!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nationally acclaimed outdoors writer Jim Zumbo, who ignited a firestorm with his recent comments on an Internet blog with Outdoor Life magazine, has agreed to resign from his position at the magazine.

In a Feb. 16 blog entry, Zumbo expressed dismay that AR and AK semi-automatic rifles are becoming increasingly popular with hunters, and described the firearms as "assault" and "terrorist" weapons.

Todd W. Smith, editor-in-chief of Outdoor Life, said in a statement: "In light of comments made by Jim Zumbo in his Feb. 16, 2007, blog posting on the magazine's Web site, Mr. Zumbo has offered to terminate his association with Outdoor Life, and the magazine has accepted his offer.

"Accordingly, he will no longer be contributing to the magazine in print or online. His final column with Outdoor Life will appear in the April 2007 issue.

"We respect Mr. Zumbo's First Amendment right to free speech, and we acknowledge his subsequent apology and admission of error. However, Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of all aspects of the shooting sports and our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the appearance of the firearms we choose to own, shoot or hunt with."

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:08 am 
IP:
It is too bad things like this happen. I kind of feel sorry for him but as the old saying goes. Open mouth insert foot. Words are just like bullets. Once fired you just can't call em back. Mr. Zumbo has promised to make it his mission to learn everything he can about assault type weapons and do his best to promote their responsable use. We will see. I suspect he will just fade out and retire quietly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:33 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

OK, this is a big bone of contention with me. actually two. First of all, an AR-15 is NOT an assault weapon. It is a semi-automatic copy of a firearm that can fire in full auto or three shot bursts. They may be assault LOOKING or assault STYLE but they are no more an assault weapon than an auto-5. Second of all, Just becasue you don't own one, banning it or labeling it something it isn't does not mean it won't eventually affect you. There is little mechanical or function difference between an AR-15 and a remington 1187 or a Browning BAR. if you Ban one outright, it is no stretch to take that further and ban the other two. In fact, Browning actually were in the process of making a High Powered centerfire pump rigle, just in case they could not produce the BAR.

Mr. Zumbo said an idiotic thing for a hunter and should know better. I can easily see hunting with an M-1/M-1A or an AR-15 just for their reputation for accuracy. I doubt I would ever do so, but I certainly wouldn't stop anyone else from doing so.

/soapbox off

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:04 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

bubbasbbq wrote:
OK, this is a big bone of contention with me. actually two. First of all, an AR-15 is NOT an assault weapon. It is a semi-automatic copy of a firearm that can fire in full auto or three shot bursts. They may be assault LOOKING or assault STYLE but they are no more an assault weapon than an auto-5. Second of all, Just becasue you don't own one, banning it or labeling it something it isn't does not mean it won't eventually affect you. There is little mechanical or function difference between an AR-15 and a remington 1187 or a Browning BAR. if you Ban one outright, it is no stretch to take that further and ban the other two. In fact, Browning actually were in the process of making a High Powered centerfire pump rigle, just in case they could not produce the BAR.

/soapbox off

Thank GOD! I thought the whole firearms world had went braindead on us. I try to tell people there is no difference between a AR-15 and Remington 742 Woodsmaster but they look at me like i have slobber hanging off my lip.

Home of:

NITECH Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie

CH Whitey's Stylish Samantha

Triple X-Rated

Rank's Stylish Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Russell Boyette wrote:
bubbasbbq wrote:

/soapbox off

Thank GOD! I thought the whole firearms world had went braindead on us. I try to tell people there is no difference between a AR-15 and Remington 742 Woodsmaster but they look at me like i have slobber hanging off my lip.

Not if you know how They work. a gas operated firearm is little difference to me than any other gas operated firearm. While there are some variations on the theme and maybe a huge difference in the parts thye use, the operation is the same. People who say they are different are looking at the cosmetics of the firearm and not the operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:32 pm 
IP:
well said boys, but you're preaching to the choir on this forum....least wise i should hope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It's actually typical of personality's who have become a "legend in their own mind". It's always amazing to me that because of their fame folk's beleive they can say what they want without repercusions. (reminds me of the Dixie chick's). I remember at our local freinds of the NRA banquet the auctioneer was to auction off a handgun and made the statement" I have no idea what bid to start this out with or why anyone would want such a thing....", needless to say he wasn't invited back. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

sparky wrote:
It's actually typical of personality's who have become a "legend in their own mind". It's always amazing to me that because of their fame folk's beleive they can say what they want without repercusions. (reminds me of the Dixie chick's). I remember at our local freinds of the NRA banquet the auctioneer was to auction off a handgun and made the statement" I have no idea what bid to start this out with or why anyone would want such a thing....", needless to say he wasn't invited back. :roll:

If it were an Iver Johnson, I would tend to agree!

:lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously. If you don't think banning any gun won't affect you, guess again. Just because it doesn't interest you doesn't mean That baning it womn't have a serious ripple effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Chaser10 wrote:
well said boys, but you're preaching to the choir on this forum....least wise i should hope

I hope so. It is all about the function and the design of the firearm, not the crap that goes around it. I dont' mean in a derogetory way, I just mean that from a gunsmithing standpoint a browning gold is not that different than an AR-15. The form might change, but the function is the same. You can use that argument anytime anyone questions why someone would want to own "something" or another.