CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Has anybody tried this?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

There's an article in Fur Fish and Game this month that states you can bore-sight a rifle by taking the bolt out, looking down the barrel and lining it up with a bullseye at 25 yards, and then adjusting the scope so the crosshairs are centered over the bullseye.All of this takes place while the gun is on a rock-steady rest, of course. I tried it, and it seemed a little elementary, and honestly, a little too easy to actually work. I haven't shot the rifle yet to see. What I want to know is, is this a load of crap and waste of time, or is it another handy piece of knowledge that everybody else has done for years that I'm just now becoming priveleged to? With bullets for my rifle 40 bucks a box ($2.00 a shot) and all the stuff to shoot my muzzleloader averaging around $1.50 a shot, I'll take all the help I can get.

And by the way, why do all scope manufacturers put that 1 click is 1/4" of crosshair movement at 100 yards? I've never had ANY scope that I didn't have to click a hundred times to get it moved.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:13 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

IT WILL GET YOU CLOSE BUT ONLY WAY TO GET IT DEAD ON IS TO SHOOT IT . I PUT CROSSHAIRS ON BULLSEYE SHOOT THEN PUT THE CROSSHAIRS BACK ON BULLSEYE CLICK UNTILL CROSSHAIRS LINE WITH BULLET HOLE THEN MOVE TO BULLSEYE AND SHOOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:39 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Coleman the article is dead on lol. I have done it for years just like that. Be careful about zeroing the rifle to shoot at the bullseye. In nature you will not find ideal conditions like that as you know. I have seen a good many people who take great pride in getting 1 inch groups miss every time in a real situation. I have taken deer at 350 yards with my 30 30 and got vitals everytime. Good reading. Google Chuck Hawks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:04 pm 
IP:
I tried it once and it did work. I was'nt dead on but VERY close. I'll be using that method on the next gun I site in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thanks, guys. I put a new scope on the gun a few weeks ago and was just wanting to get it "on the paper" as they say. I have taken it to my buddy that has a little hunting and fishing shop to get him to laser sight it, but he's been covered up and he said if I could leave it with him, he'd take care of it. I trust the guy, but I'm just not into leaving my guns anywhere, so when I saw this article I figured my problem was solved.

Treetalkin, what you said for zeroing was pretty much what the second half of the article said to do. Thanks, again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:06 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

hey coleman have you tried it yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:40 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I did something like that for my 30/30 basically using the mounted sights to set the scope.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetun17/racc ... fmaryland/

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:01 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

treetalkin wrote:
hey coleman have you tried it yet

Matter of fact, I got the chance to try it out this past Saturday. Our muzzleloader season opens this Wednesday, so a friend and I went to the rifle range. I had used this method on mine, he did his with a laser. My first shot was 2" low and dead center (L-R), his didn't hit a 18"x18" target. After 3 or 4 shots, he was cussing his scope, mounts, bullets, etc. when I asked to see his gun. I took the breech plug out, set it on the rest, looked down the barrel, and checked the scope. With the barrel lined up on bullseye, his scope was over a foot low. I adjusted the scope to match the barrel, and his next shot was within 4" of bullseye. Before the day was over, I had done 3 other people's muzzleloaders and 2 deer rifles. It made me feel like a big dog to have people bringing their guns over to my bench and asking to "see what I could do" with them.

So, long sory short, without a doubt (for me), this method works. I'd even say it's better than laser sighting (if not BETTER, ALOT less trouble and cheaper), and if I can do it, ANYBODY can.