CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:21 am 
IP:
I just put my dogs in back of my pickup in the dog box in the garage on really cold nights.

I do it right before bed and let them out as soon as I wake up this way they are spending the coldest part of the day/night in the garage protected from any possible wind.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

hey thanks guys this topic has helped me and my dog out alot 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

On what planet are you required to keep your dogs indoors at night or at any other time. I love my reds, but they are never going to sleep in my house. But just to to be fair I have dogloo houses with doors and i put a tarp around it when Its real cold here. We dont have real harsh winter here low 30 maybe 20s some night but I just wrap up there houses and use some hay. and I do feed them a warm meal at night that they are not out running. That I believe should do just fine for any healthy hound In just about any climate.

Ps north georgia
coondog j

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:33 pm 
IP:
Did you ever consider that some people care about their dogs and want them to be as comfortable as possible?

I'm sure you could survive just fine outside also but yet you choose to sleep inside with the heater on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i would want my most prized asset to be comfortable also. I dont see anything wrong with caring for your dogs just as you would your children. I mean that is just being abusive not caring if your dogs are too cold or not. Heck its been very cold a couple of nights in the past 2 weeks and ive went out at 4am or so to give him some bread and warm water just to make sure he is ok. hope none of my dogs end up going to someone that dont care enough to keep em warm and cared for. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Also consider location. Coontracker is from Montana (location is in the sidebar of the post). I have not been to Montana, but last time I heard it gets REALLY cold there. Not high 20s on a cold night... more like -20. That is a huge difference. Further, I've hunted when it was really cold... 20 degrees and whatnot, and I've also pulled time doing RnS missions on a mountain in Afghanistan for many days at a time at 20 degrees and below. There is a difference between hunting (being active) and having to lay there and freeze with no option to be warm. Trust me, the later sucks and I pray that I or no living creature under my charge ever has to go through that anymore. If you're in GA your dogs, with a good house and some straw, will be fine outside on "cold" nights. Montana is a completely different story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yes talked to my buddy he lives in missoula (spelling) and he said they got a foot of snow in 2 hrs 2 weeks ago. if i live there my dog would for sure live in my house during the winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

coonscry wrote:
I didn't think it got that cold in southern oregon :D

LOL... I just got back on the computer.. It doesn't.. The teens where we are at.. I remember one year it got -2... We all thought we would die :)

That is what we do for them the month they spend in CO.. Well.. they still have the mudflaps on the house to keep the wind out...

Of course the last couple of night the dogs who know what the heck they are doing have spent the night in the house.. When they worked as hard as they did and are shivering from fatigue, they get the best spot by the fireplace :D

www.outwesthounds.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:24 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

you can also provide your dogs with a common house that all of them can get into. that waythey can all snoogle up and keep warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:28 pm 
IP:
I am sorry but I cant see bringing my hounds into the house. My wife would kill me, for starters they dont have any clue to what to do in a house. crap wherever, do whatever. Last year we had -47 below and my regular dogs stayed out in that just fine. They have a fairly well insulated house and a thermostat in it so I can check to make sure it doesnt get to cold for them.

But come on, I know some of you have more than a couple hounds and your saying you would bring all them into the house with you. I would have to see it to beleive it. Put them in an insulated building if it gets to cold for them.

Dog crap stinks especially if it is stuck into the carpeting in your living room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dogs have insulated plywood dog houses surrounded by 3 sided plywood shelter. Looks like a plywood calf hut surrounding doghouse. This stops the wind & helps them stay warmer. Houses are about 4 in. off cold ground& they get plenty of dry straw for bedding. Mix dog food with warm water & water put in their bowls are room temp twice a day. Do everything I can to prevent chilling them. Also have dog houses in vacant barn that isinsulated that I will move dogs to if weather gets too extreme in winter. Farmboy-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My dogs are sporting the 2x6 house with rubber roofing top and sides with floor being made of same with no rubber so as to drain any possible leaks.

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:43 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my hounds are warm and cozy with straw for bedding. Rectangualar dog house about 24 wide by 36 long and 24 high(near as I can remember) Hole is off center on the long side and as small and high but still allow the hound to get in and out of without any problems. This keeps more straw in the house and not outside the door and allows them to curl up on the far side of the box away from the door. I'd add flaps, but even when temps occassionaly dip to the single digit negatives the dogs are warm as toast at 1, 2, 3am when I've checked on them. Still can't get the wife to do the checking though.
Warm water in the am, warm water in thier food in the pm with some warm water in thier bowl. Metal bowls work well cause you can bang the ice outta them without cracking them.
Techno, some nice ideas put into action. Had to laugh when the fella mentioned stacking bales around his houses. GREAT idea, but if I did that several hours later it would look like the dogs went to town at the Scarecrows family reunion for sure. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:03 pm 
IP:
I forgot to mention that if your dogs like to tear up bale, water them down good with a water hose let them freeze up good and than set them up for insolation. I have also used snow for banking but with dogs that like to dig it up water it down too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:28 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I like the ideas for dog houses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next