CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Post subject: kennels off the ground ?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:15 pm 
IP:
whats the purpose of ihaving a kennel off the ground

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yea I was wondering that too. It looks like alot of trouble to me, w/ not much payback.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."

"When the going gets tough, the great ones party."

"Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows the fool."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:29 pm 
IP:
not many people down here have that kinda set up. but in s. carolina where my parents live you see alot maybe cause the snow i dont know im hopin somebody on here will tell me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I hadn't even heard of it till I read about it here. Snows kinda scarce around our house, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the whole idea is so the waste falls through to the ground.i have kept my hounds in them for over 35 yrs. dogs don't have to walk through the waste and you don't have to clean every day. plus they are movable. the runs have 2x2's set 2 inches apart so the waste falls through. i will try and post some pix by this week end......................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If the waste falls through, doesn't it still hang around and start to stink? I'm not questioning your logic, I'm just trying to grasp the idea.

Post subject: raised kennel floors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

there are several reasons i like raised kennels. #1 cheaper than concrete slabs and mobile, #2 dogs are healthier. i have dogs on the ground and off the ground and the ones off the ground dont need to be wormed as often. #3 is clean up. unlike alot if people who space the floor boards i keep mine together. i wash the poop out the back side of the kennel and keep it tilled under with a garden tiller and put lime dust on it. with the floor boards spaced the poop falls through and sits there stinking for a long time.#4 fire ants are a big problem in my area. when the dogs are off the ground you dont have to worry about as many ants in your feeders. i have had hounds for over 10 years and these are some of the things i have learned from the older wiser houndsman i grew up around.
hope this helps you out with your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:32 pm 
IP:
thanks guys it does sound better for clean up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:10 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I"ve kenneled dogs in both set ups. To keep them clean and healthy the way I want them when they're on the ground I have to clean up waste every day, and sterolize once a month or so.

With an above ground set-up I only have to clean up once every few weeks. Dogs stay much much cleaner and healthier. Never in the mudd or cold ground, little to no problems with parasites like worms or fleas. Above ground is the way to go.

dk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:42 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i clean under pens about once a week,no stink here.............TC
one in middle i used fence on sides,this pen is 5 years old
one on right is 8yrs old and i just replaced the wood on front and wire material on sides............TC
just finished these 2 this last week.built right they will last years............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i tie my dogs out almost daily for a few hours also............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:34 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

TC I LIKE THAT.GOING TO STORE THIS WEEKEND!

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have had kennels on the ground and now above ground. I Like the above ground simply because the dogs look better, there cleaner, no parasites, fleas or all the problems you normally have on the ground. In southern IN we have had a lot of rain and it is just easier having them off the ground. No worry about muddy dogs. We put landscape timbers around the bottom and put some lime in and it seem to keep the smell down and we dont have to clean up as often.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

tc, How big is your above ground kennels?

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:39 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

top rails are 8ft. bottom rails are 10ft,so i can leave 2 ft over hang out past the rear legs to set the house on. from top of top side rail to bottom of bottom side rail is 40 inches.so i can use 3 ft high fence or material and it lands about in the middle of the side rails so i can attach it. outside rail to outside rail for the floor is 41 1/2 inches.i run the rails on the inside of the legs. the front and back is 4 ft wide, i run the 4 ft cross braces in the front and back accross even with the outside of the legs. that way i can nail or deck screw the cross braces to the top side rails and bottom side rails at the ends and to the face of the legs, it kinda interlocks the whole deal.if you look close at my pics you can get a idea of what im saying.(click on the pic to enlarge them).the legs are 6ft 4x4's.i have made them for others that are on 5 ft legs so the dog can jump in it without help. i have found the extra ft keeps the flys on the ground and not buzzing the dogs as much w/ the 6 ft legs.plus i can rake under them without getting on my knees..............TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next