CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: looking for a fur buyer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm 
IP:
im looking for a fur buyer in east tn or around tn area thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I looked a little bit for a year or so and I haven't found one either. I started alum tanning my furs and hangin them up or givin them to people to use as decoration in a cabin or whatever they want. At one point i had thirty or so in a pile in my coset and just got tired of looking at them. Now i only skin it if its a real nice and large one. If not I been throwin em in a ditch on the back of my place cause apparently nobody wants them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm 
IP:
I know wat u meen i had over 40 this season and gave them all away got tired of seeing them wish i could have sold them but o well

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know they're not bringing a whole lot, but next time guys just put them all in a cardboard box and ship them to a furbuyer. You'll get a better price, won't have to travel, and it'll buy you a tank of gas or two for your next hunts. Otherwise if your just throwing them in a ditch, you might as well not be killing 30 coons a season, just take one every once in awhile to reward the dogs. Just killing 30 coons and wasting them is something that would anger a lot of the coon hunters on this board.
Killing to Kill isn't hunting...it's Killing. Otherwise we'd all call ourselves COON KILLERS...not COON HUNTERS. Respect the game you pursue, or it won't survive for the next generation. Just My Opinion.....

PERFECT TEN KENNELS
LOUISA, VA.
HOME OF PERFECT10-PEARL GIRL

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:16 pm 
IP:
killing 30 or 40 is better on coon population even if you throw them in the ditch. no one traps or hunts coon in my area and theres so many they just pass disease. after you kill alot of coons more just move into the area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I could have killed way more than thirty if i wanted to just kill them. I only hunt the weekends because thats all my job permits. If i were to start hunting 5 or 6 nights a week i could have taken alot more. And just so we are clear i hunt on farms where they want them irradicated. Most people around here would darn near pay to have them shot. They cant keep them out of the garden and fruit trees. All im tryin to do is help out the neihbors so they wont start poisoning them, which is danderouse to all they animals around here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:03 am 
IP:
budy i dont kill just to kill i have plenty of people who still eat coon and love that i give them to them and another thing is i have killed over 3 with raibes this year so dont start about something you dont have a clue about we dont kill just to kill we do it for a reason to help out each other and to protect our population

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was just adding my two cents fellas, don't get too jumpy. My whole point is this, if your going to kill a healthy coon, and your not letting the dogs tear it up, or using it for training, and your just throwing them in a ditch, why kill them? I kill plenty of coons each year, most get turned into dog training gadgets, or predator hunting gadgets, but even the ones that don't get totally "used" get a better fate than rotting in a ditch. If you've got landowners who want them dead, fine, thats why we hunt and try to train our dogs to be the best, just don't be wasteful I guess is all I'm saying. I applaud the guy who gives them to folks to eat, or those of ya'll that skin them out and sell the hides, but just imagine for a one minute what would happen if a HSUS or Anti-Fur crusader stumbled upon that 'ditch' and took a picture. The rest of the world wouldn't understand why that was done. Again guys, I'm seriously not trying to down anybody or pick a fight, just saying that I know the prices on furs are stupidly low, and not killing coons on a hunt is a near impossibility, but we have a year round chase season in VA, and I manage to have a lot of fun running them year round. If I have someone who wants a coon gone, it's usually a nuisance coon hanging around houses/stores, so a live trap will do it for me.
Ya'll are welcome to hunt however you like, but if you end up with a bunch of unwanted coons/hides, I'll be happy to take them so they don't have to rot in a ditch. $4-8 bucks a pelt, or a good training hide is a lot better than a smelly ditch that might give off the wrong impression to non-hunters. Heck if were gonna kill em just to let em rot then maybe we can start getting a high dollar bounty for them like the yotes??
I know this is a touchy subject, and your welcome to legally harvest any coon you want, but I DO take offense to disrespecting this game animal by killing them just to kill and dump in a ditch. You can say you don't kill to kill, but if your not using the coons/hides/meat, and your not doing it for the dogs...then what would you call it?

Why don't the few of ya'll who don't have anywhere to sell them or anyway to use them just skin them, pitch in together, and bulk ship the hides to the North American Fur Auction? Heck even if you only make 300 bucks for the whole lot, that buys more dog food, pays more dues than a ditch full of rotten dead animals....

AGAIN..to keep a few of ya'll from biting my head off, I KNOW YOU CAN'T UTILIZE EVERY PART OF EVERY COON YOU KILL...WE'RE ALL GUILTY OF THIS...BUT TO KILL 30+ COONS WITH ABSOLUTELY NO ATTENTION OF EVEN ATTEMPTING TO UTILIZE ANY PART OF THE ANIMAL AT ALL IS NOT ONLY UNETHICAL & CRIMINAL, IT ALSO OFFERS A VERY NEGATIVE VIEW OF OUR SPORT...IT'S NOT JUST YOU THE HSUS OR PETA FOLKS WILL BLAME FOR A DITCH FULL OF ROTTEN COONS....IT'S EVERY SINGLE COON HUNTER/HOUND OWNER...Like it or not, our actions represent not only ourselves, but everyone else who enjoys this great passion as well.... Please no disrespect, this is just MHO...we can agree to disagree :mrgreen:

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have the utmost respect for anybody who practices good game managment on the animals in which they hunt. But I'm tellin you that within 10 miles of my house you wont find one farmer or gardener who wouldn't love to see them all gone. I never said i killed and threw 30 coons in a ditch. All i said was that the one's nobody wants i throw in a ditch. This season ive prob tanned 15 for friends and neibors who wanted to make somthing out of them and thrown away 8 or 9 because nobody wants them. My dogs work hard to tree them and ill tell you now I wont take them out during kill season and not shoot a treed coon out. I don't go out every night and spare minute I have because like I said my work doesnt permit it. They have enough problems figuring out why out wont shoot one to them during training season so when I can I will. Just my two cents but I know when I come home from work and walk to the kennels to feed that they want to go from the excited wimpers and whines and anything I can do too keep them that excited about it I will. They work way to hard for me to not be rewarded with what they have treed for me. Sure I carry a pocket full of treats into the woods for them when they do a good job but I have never seen confusion and heartbreak like I have when i give them a treat tell them good job and drag them back to the truck clawing and barking because they want that coon. Not telling anyone how they should hunt or how many coons they should kill or what they should do with them afterwards. I'm just saying that when I kill one its for the dogs and what happens to it afterwards depends on who wants it, needs it or can get some use out of any part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

DC,

I can understand that. You make a lot of valid points, and I'm not telling anyone to never shoot a coon, cuz that's why we hunt. Glad to hear your putting so many to use. And I think we should get a co-op together of coon hunters with hides, and see if we can't get a better price if we sell them bulk hides??? Just a thought. Also a good tip I learned awhile back..When you hunt, and you shoot out that first coon, and your headed to the next tree, why not just throw the coon in a sack, then when you get to the next tree, take the dead coon out of the sack, shoot into the air, then hurl the dead coon as high toward the top of the tree as you can. The result will be the same for the dogs, who will be happy with the dead one. If you've got plenty of coons and want to shoot a lot go for it, but this works during chase-only season too. Take one of those unwanted hides, or better yet freeze a whole dead coon. Then thaw and use like I said before. Dogs won't know the difference, and will keep them excited, and when they do get a fresh one shot out, they'll be doubly excited. Just an option for folks without a lot of coons, or limited land to hunt. I have about 4-5,000 acres to hunt, and I can kill my limit every night with no complaints, but if I don't have anything to do with the dead coons, then I just run to run, or shoot one or two. Like I said, this is just my opinion, and I don't intend on telling anyone how/where/when they should hunt, just giving my advice and options that have worked for me in the past. Any way you cut it, we all love chasing coons, so we have to do our part to make sure we keep the population in a healthy balance, whatever that is :mrgreen: Goodluck & Happy Hunting

Profile  WWW