CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So I noticed tonight that someone is trapping near our farm. I drove over to see who it was and what their doing. They were making bucket sets with big connibear traps? Just putting them everywhere. Will my dogs get into them they occasionally go over their not often and I have permission to hunt. I thought all the dry land trappers was gone.
I asked the guy if dogs could get into them, he replied sure but I can't help it if the neighbors dog gets in my trap, real nice guy huh!
So ? Is is it likely that my hound will end up in their stupid traps

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Absolutely. Keep your dogs away. If the fellow has permission to trap there there's nothing you can do if your dog gets caught, and those 220s will kill them dead. I do a lot of bucket sets and luckily I've never caught a dog. I have got a few cats and one time a young goat that squeezed through a fence and got a little too curious. I would feel awful if I caught someone's dog. But in the end the onus is on us as dog owners to make sure as best we can no one is trapping the same bush we are gonna run. As well it's another good reason to try to keep our dogs out of land we don't have permission on cause u never know if the land is being trapped.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

You may want to check your Sate laws also. Here in Pa. connibears arent legal for dry land sets only in water sets. Last year i read about two seperate incidents where dogs were killed in those traps. The first was a beagle and the second was a Bittany Spaniel. The second was very sad because the owner didn't know how to open the trap and watched the life go out of the dog. In both cases the trapper's were found and fined for there actions.
Hillbilly is right to try to find out if anyone is trapping an area you share but again here in South Pa. there are so many trappers and hunters,it's impossible to try to run hounds without overlapping where someone traps.
Three years ago I had two different beagles get caught in "cable restraint" traps(which are legal here after Jan,1st) in the same day. Luckily they started barking like a treed hound so I went to see what was going on And thankfully the trapper had his dog stops on that will only let them close so far incase a dog gets in them. I dont know much about them. I guess they only hold them like a snare but dont kill.
I've been lucky with coonhounds that Ive never had one in a trap but Ive taken plenty of my beagles out of leg hold traps over the years. Last year I got one out of a bobcat set and i got him out and he was only shook up for a few minutes then went on like nothing happened.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yes I won't be hunting there anymore, he does have permission to trap,so I understand that he has as much rights as anyone.
What really makes me mad is for one he is taking pay deer hunters along for a price of course, as if they don't get enough ground as it is.2 is that he smarted off to me about how he can't help if the neighbors dog gets killed. Not a responsible thing to say in my opinion?
Oh we'll I got a lot of ground of my own and don't hunt there anyway hardly at all but my dogs have wandered over there before ill just have to watch them.
To bad I don't have a life like manikin I could play a little game with this city boy turned mountain man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I see both sides of this as I trap and hunt with dogs.

Everyone should be more respectful of each.

If I know guys are hunting dogs in areas I trap than I won't use the bodygrip traps.
However no matter how much precaution is taken there can always be accidents.

The same as climbing in a deer stand and hunting and accidently shooting yourself. Or you coon dog cross property lines and attacking a home owners dog or getting after live stock.

These things happens and I'm sure no one means for them to , it's part of what we do.

the same as "finding" a trap tha someone"left" and taking it.
This sort of stuff happens because guys are uneducated on certain things or just plan A- holes

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I do alittle trapping myself but only for muskrats and sometimes coon but I use steel traps. I have body grippers for beaver but there always under water so not much danger. I do understand their side but I would never look someone in they eyes and tell them I can't help it if their dog gets killed.
Any way him and his traps are gone. Once the landowner found out he was using killer traps he sent them on their way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I worked out a bucket set that dogs can't get in it does take a taller bucket and a bit more work but I does catch coon, I called the fella that was trapping and told him my idea and he is gonna make a bunch up for trapping near where people live hunt ect.
It's kinda like a upside down bucket with a shelf for the bait a 8in hole in the side but the trap is well in the bucket. The coon goes in and looks up and when he stands wam got him, cats will still fit but there's plenty of them damn things anyway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My question is, If he knows there is a possibility of catching someones pet why does he set body grip traps on land in the area!?!?
Somebody needs to have a talk with him about COMMON SENSE before he catches somebody's pet!! Just because its legal doesnt mean its ethical or smart.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He is a dumb ##*%* that's why,he looked us right in the eye and said " I can't help it if a neighbors dog wanders into my traps" plus he is a out of state deer hunter who payed a fortune to kill a big one and, the deer arnt real thick this year on account of the drought I'd say? So he had to do something to pass the time. Those guys usually arnt the most respectful hunters in the woods and most generally regular assholes. They don't care about anybody but themselves and their deer,,,,,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm 
IP:
The trapper should have used better wording in his comment, but how is it his fault if a wondering dog gets in there. I've never caught a dog or have I ever had any of my dogs caught. I don't let any of my dogs loose to run unless me or my boys are out with them. This is a touchy subject and I wish no dog would ever get caught but accidents do happen and I would hope both
Parties would handle it appropriately. Just my opinion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:32 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have done alot of trapping and never caught a dog in a snare or any other trap. I've had dogs caught in snares when people where snaring for deer. ( wich is illegal in Ohio) I've never used bucket sets cause conibears are illegal in Ohio above water level. Got a ticket once cause a set I had was exposed when they knocked out a beaver dam. If a trapper is responsible he should make his sets dog safe. It's really not that much more work. I like using the dog proof coon traps they work good! You can catch a mess of coon and never worry about catching a dog. Good luck with your problem. I would defiantly contact your game warden and check on what's a legal dry set is in your state.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 pm 
IP:
I understand both sides, but he is a little out of line, back home I used bucket sets but I kept them about 4' off the ground, I sure didn't wanna catch someones dogs or my own

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my opinion there is no need to make a bucket set, but I also live where body grips bigger than 5x5 are illegal on land. I can catch as many coon using D.P. traps in a place I think it maybe likely to catch a domestic animal. It is the duty of trappers to reduce any chance of catching a pet. I do however understand that it happens. I have caught several dogs, but the owners should also be able to keep track of where their dog is. You can't let your dogs run loose all the time and expect them not to get into some kind of trouble. I go to the houses around where I plan to set traps and tell them what I will be doing and give them my phone number in case of a lost pet I will check and make sure I did not catch it. This is not the law but it is how I would like to be treated. Most of the time there is little if any injury to dogs I have caught. Let's try to be good representatives of our sports to better insure the future for our children. I trap and coon hunt. I have hunted my hounds through palces traps are set and never had any trouble catching my own hounds or any hunting dogs. All the dogs I have caught were pets. It has to do with how you make a set I try to use lures that domestic dogs would not be attracted to. I think that pet dogs just had too much time to check the area.I think I can speek for eveyone when I say my hounds are to busy to worry about something that does not smell like a coon. Not trying to be preachy just thought I would share my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have trapped for over 35 years and run dogs for only about 6 so I don't know everything but I do know that most dogs that get caught and killed are where they shouldn't be and that the trapper most likely should not have set killer traps there even if it was legal to do so

there are plenty of cubby designs that while not 100% effective can greatly reduce the chance of catching someone's dog,

I agree that the trapper could have and should have used different words, just like the coon hunters that reply to land owners that there dogs cant read no trespassing signs, both engender a lack of respect which builds negative view of us in the eyes of those that get such remarks handed to them.

Dogs can be trained to avoid bucket sets as well as wooden cubbies, in fact its not that hard, and while its best to do so when pups most dogs of any age can be so taught.

Just get yourself a bucket and make a set such as you would use for coon except no trap instead set several mouse traps in place after a while they learn.

some older digs you migh have to get more aggressive I had one who did not get the point till I used a cattle fencer, that was before I had a shock collar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Setting a body gripping trap on main land is about as irresponsible as hunting coyotes at night and shooting at any pair of eyes that you see. Sorry jmo, but in todays over populated hunting and trapping woods, to chance the risk of hurting anothers man prized hunting dog or someone's pet, is just plain ignorant especially considering there are plenty of other sets that catch coon very easily. I know a couple of guys that caught 9 or ten coon in one night using footholds here opening week.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app