CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Proper coon fleshing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've looked at several videos and I couldn't find all the answers to a few questions, so I thought I'd post them here for some help. How do you know when the hide can be removed from the board or wire? Second, I'm having trouble getting all of the fat off of the tail. Will this lower the price I get for my hide if there is some fat left on the tail? And last, if there is a little fat left on the hide after fleshing, is it better to leave it or remove it after hide has dried? I've been removing it, but it leaves a dry stringy like look where the fat comes off. Thanks for any advice.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Proper coon fleshing
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Remove all the fat when it is still wet. Scrape them down good including the tail. It is best not to leave any on. Excess grease on the hide and tail can be wiped off. Leave on the board as long as possible. Coon take a long time to dry. Wipe down the leather every couple of days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 pm 
IP:
Gentlemen,

When I saw the title about fleshing coon I had to stop . I could go on for hours about how not to flesh coon but suffice to say I am 61 years old and have trapped and hunted with hounds for 50 years. We got 24 coon, me and my hounds did, walking distance from my house one of our best years, 86-87. I have coon hides all over my house, coon hides and guns in every room, but after 50 years I still... can't properly flesh a coon hide!

I've seen coon at the fur buyers in Maypearl Texas, 500 hides on wire stretchers and each as white as snow, really, a beautiful site they were. I can flesh a coon hide but it takes days! I have studied the subject, a friend in upstate New York ole JC has made videos and they have helped a lot. I know people can achieve a properly fleshed coon hide in under two days, it is possible and I will learn how to do it before I die no matter what. But talk about work! It ain't easy and I'm still working on it. Maybe this is the winter Dukedog and I can really think about it and flesh our hides quickly and efficiently too, to make it look easy. Makes installing lawn sprinklers and roofing houses look like nothing at all. Wish us luck.

Thank you...

Jack the Knife
and Old Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

jacktheknife....

what are you using for a fleshing knife? imo go get yourself a necker 600, and chill your hides so the fat is stiffend up, it will come off much easier, this is my first year putting fur up. im no perfect at it and i got alot to learn, no doubt it is work.... but start with a good fleshing knife set up on a fleshing beam that is comfy to work at and try chilling your hides, it takes me an hour or two but it will come with practice.
good luck.

morris.....nycoyotehounds answered your question.