CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trapping Coyotes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im from South Carolina and was wondering what all you needed to trap coyotes as far as license or a permit goes. Also is it legal to trap coyotes and locate them to another area. Is there such things at coyote pens? I have heard of some before and if i trapped some could i take them there? Ive never attempted to trap a coyote so im not sure what kind of trap to set. Any help with these questions would be great! thanks!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Trapping Coyotes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you have never trapped coyotes before your in for an education. Very tricky critters to catch its a challenge, getting started don't expect to set a trap and catch one right away unless your lucky it could take a long time to get one.... there are coyote training pens in some areas although they can be hard to find in some areas. As far as the laws for catching wild coyotes into a pen you should probly check with the local Division of Wildlife. .... I use #1 3/4 double coil springs to catch coyotes and snares. the basics are the same as setting any foothold trap for coon or whatever else you trap. You will want to dye and wax your traps and use gloves when handling them after you have done this. Theres alot of basic info online for trapping them but the number 1 absolute must have for trapping coyotes is PATIENCE.

Post subject: Re: Trapping Coyotes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you can catch a dry land big coon you can catch a coyote. I feel like coon are very smart and if there is a flaw with your set they will find it. pull your pan cover, flip your trap ext. The most important thing is trap bedding, and keeping your traps working. make sure your trap is bedded rock solid and doesn't move a bit. any movement and the animal will know something is up. next keep the trap working, frozen trap cant catch fur no matter how good the set is. coyote like open areas set field roads, field corners, just don't get too close in thick stuff and features as coyotes are more leary to check out a set in thick stuff