CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: anyone trap beavers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

we have a few around here i would like to try to catch some of them any ideas thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In the spring when they're thinking about the opposite sex, the best set for beaver is to make a mud pie up on the bank and apply some beaver castor scent to it. You can get this from any trapping lure supplier. Set your trap in the water deep enough that he'll plant his back foot in it when he's hauling out onto the bank to check out your lure. Stake your trap out in deep water so he drowns and there you go! This set can be modified to work with conibears too, if you have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the help il give it a try thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

another way is to look for their slides. That is whaere they go in and out of the water. Then just put a snare or conibear trap in the slide. The trick to that is to find the slides they are using the most and trap them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:22 am 
IP:
Beavers will have lots of slides and runs coming from the water to the woods, set a 330 or a snare on the ones that are used the most. You dont have to do anything pretty. Alot of times I put some castor on the end of a stick and poke the other end in the ground and put a 330 a few feet in front of it, best if used in a small feeder stream or ditch. Make sure to block the side of your trap with stick or some type of natural debri.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:53 pm 
IP:
i have never trapped one but i know were some are. if i caught one are they hard to skin out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:06 am 
IP:
Yes! they have extremely thin skin, if you dont have have much experience with skinning I would'nt attempt it. I take mine to a fur dealer that takes the animal whole and he skins it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have skinned alot of animals but not a beaver how do you do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Lay the beaver on his back take a pruning knife [hook bill] and start under his chin and go all the way to his butt, don't cut into the body just the skin.take lobbing shears and cut off his feet and tail,take a sharp round pointed knife and start skinning hold up the skin and cut under it to you get all the way around if you are good [fast] you should be done in 20 minutes.

FROG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Rebel hunter get you a relaxing snare make about a 10 " loop, get you a stick and put it in the ground at a 45 degrees with a short piece of wire it to the stick and not the loop, let the loop touch the ground, take a hatchet and cut a small trench to lay the snare in cover the wire up pack it a little. have your snare standing up [loop] so when the beaver goes through it it will stand up until he gets one foot through the snare then it will tighten down on him . NOW don't tie the snare to a tree he will eat it off, take two rebar
stakes 24" long and cross stake X either way he pulls you got him
If you need any help I will send down Calkin. I taught him and he is good
he has a hard time telling a plott from a beaver [bad eyes].

FROG

Post subject: beaver trapping question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:56 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

have any of yall done any beaver trapping in a small creek and what i mean by small is like 3 feet across and ankle deep water. i just found some damns on my creek and i had no idea that they would be in that small of a creek so i set two 330's and caught two beaver one yesterday and one the day before so i was wondering what yalls experience with beaver and small creeks are?

grch'pr'reynold's red rose
ch'pr'tree chopins putem up thunder

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sign up to Trapperman.com. It's a great trapping site. You will learn everything u need to know there about trapping beaver, or any other furbearer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

young_buck wrote:
have any of yall done any beaver trapping in a small creek and what i mean by small is like 3 feet across and ankle deep water. i just found some damns on my creek and i had no idea that they would be in that small of a creek so i set two 330's and caught two beaver one yesterday and one the day before so i was wondering what yalls experience with beaver and small creeks are?

Those small streams seem to be the easiest and if you can find their dam put a leg hold on top the dam where the water drains over the dam

Post subject: Re: anyone trap beavers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks ill have to get some leg holds and try that i got 2 in my stream im now trying on a lake and them boogers are making fun of me lololol ive made some beginner mistakes that i kick myself for but im on the right track now

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Make sure you put your leg holds on drowners. You won't have much luck keeping Beavers in a dry leg hold. Get them on drowners and you'll keep em in the traps. A lot of states and provinces require leg holds for water trapping to be on drowner cables make sure you check your regs. Also some states don't allow trapping on their dams or lodges. A submerged snare, or submerged 330 on a slide is your best bet. Beavers aren't a hard critter to trap. Also in a small creek drive sticks into the river bed on an angle from bank to bank to guide the beaver. Put a 330 or a snare at both ends of your guide sticks and u got him. In a small creek where you can put guide sticks right across, this is very effective, cause in order for him to swim down the creek he HAS to go into your trap or snare.

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225