CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Stoney I have caught both reds and grays in live traps, but the reds are way more reluctant to enter it, and some times even crap right by it to kinda say screw you. But here is what i do.

Take that bigger of the traps i saw in your yard, take it over to your buddies and yes that big trap is sure enough big enough. Set it off under a cedar tree where your pretty sure fox roam at. set some tent stakes or somthing driven in the ground on both sides up against it tightly so it can not be tipped over or bumped at all. Go a couple hundred yards away and break of alot of small cedar limbs out towards the end where there smaller and softer. Once you have enough set the trap but make sure it's set where it will be real hard to trigger but make sure the door will open and close without any obstruction at all from the cedar(some times i use a stick to keep the door pried open), begin to cover the trap which you butted up against the tree and staked down, cover it until you canot see inside at all from the back or ethier side, make it look like it's a pile of cedar with a dark opening into it.Find some one with chickens and clean out an old nest there hens have been using crap hay and all, put it in a *clean* 5gallon bucket and toss that stuff into the trap just enough to where it covers the wire but doesnt stop the trap from being able to trigger later. Leave the trap alone 100% for at least 1 week 2 is better, stay away from the trap did i mention that already. :lol:
Now the two weeks have passed and your about to go nuts wanting to be trapping already and your sent is pretty much off the trap. Before going to set the trap for real this time stay away from your dogs or the area there sent may be in like your back yard there. break you off some fresh cedar from another area, close to your trap is fine but not closer than 3 or 4 hundered yards and if i could i would get it before i got to my buddies or out of his yard if you can . rub it in between your hands and on your boot soles if you like. Having already stolen some of your moms eggs from the kitchen :shock: and just a tad more of the chicken's nesting and crap place one egg & one empty broken egg shell back into the rear of the trap by pushing it into the trap with a stick place the fresh smelling chicken crap in the front of the trap along with the yoke from the empty shell and now set it super light( thats why we staked it out 2 weeks ago to prevent an acidental triggering from a bump or tap) When you go to check it from day to day dont get real close to it, just close enough to see if it's triggered or not. you may catch a opossum or 2 but you will catch a fox before long, if i am getting impatient i have a way of speeding it up alot but i'll pm you that little trick.

This works i have caught tons of fox around here over the years with this setup. This also has gotten me places to run my dogs when i have caught fox and coons using this setup near folks houses and house cats seem to keep away from it for the most part

Join the forum today and remove this ad!