CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ? about chevys
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am thinking about buying either a '93 or '98 model chevy 1500 pickup. And i was wondering has any1 had any kind of trouble with these kind of trucks.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have a 94 1500 chevy i drive everyday. has 250,000 on it and run great. it has a 4.3 v6 best motor man can buy. and at work i drive a work truck 92 1500 with a 5.7 great truck to. only thing i have seen about this kind of truck is the wipers seem to have a bad ground and you may need to ground it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Whatch the cab corners. They are famous for that. I had a 97 with the 5.7. A power house but a gas hogg. I have a 90 now with the 4.3. Not so much a power house but enough for what I use it for. It is nice on gas too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:32 pm 
IP:
I have a '98 1500, 5.0 litre, 130,000 miles. Biggest hunk of crap i have ever seen. I have been through 4 fuel pumps, 2 alternators, wiper motor, rear tail light assemblys (bad connections in the peice that holds all the bulbs), radiator cracked, Idler arm and pittman arms went to crap, 1 transmission, and the heater control panel went to crap also. It is actually not running at the moment because the intake gaskets decided to go out and put all the water in the oil pan. Chevy in those years actually used a plastic gasket for the intake. They are notorious for going bad. What really makes it bad is I haven't even paid it off yet. Nothing quite like the feeling of paying for something you can't even drive. Keep in mind this is my daily driver so it hasn't even been used for hunting. Whatever you decide to get just be careful of those years of chevys. My dad has a '90 that has about 275,000 that has never had anything done to it besides routine maintanence. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh, and when I get the '98 running again I have to take it to the dealership because there is a recall on the electric mirror motor. Apparently they like to catch fire once in a while. :evil:

But if you really want a '98 Chevy I'll sell you one REAL cheap!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject: CHEVY TRUCKS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:03 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

You'd be better off buying a real old chevy truck like a 73 or so. My logic is that parts are exchangable. most all the small block V8 chevy parts can be bolted in with no modification. Of course if you ain't mechanically inclined this logic don't work for you.

Last edited by parkerhillskennels on Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i have a '98 Z-71 chevy truck. i have had it about 2 yrs, and i have replaced the fuel pump, blower motor(heater and ac motor), an electronic board for my wipers, tie-rods, and u-joints. other than that,it has run fine...lol..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:16 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have a 1995 3/4 ton chevy silverado. doesn't owe me a dime. i used it for hauling horses. i hauled a 16ft gooseneck loaded to the gills with it. couldn't ask for a better truck.
now the down side: i have a 1999 chevy 1/2 ton silverado extended cab. and what a piece of junk! everytime i take it in for inspection i end up paying out at least$500. the bumper has rusted so i have to replace it and the tailgate is starting. i have neever owned such a money hog. i know i have to get rid of it but really can't afford another vehicle.
the idea about an older chevy was probably a good one. we had a 1986 1/2 ton. did everything with that truck. hauled loads that probably weighed over a ton. had it for years and put over 400,000mi on it. finally the body just rusted to the place where we couldn't fix it anymore.

Team Milarken Ridge

we keep kids and dogs on track

Post subject: chevy trucks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i know my brother has a 97 z71 and it is a gas hog. he had a few problems too. stuck thermostat, blown head gasket, cracked radiator, air conditioner went out, but i will say he has never got stuck in it lol

Michael Gardner
seoklacoonhunter@yahoo.com

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:21 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

theres gonna be people that have problems with every make and model truck- but you have to take into account what you do to it, what you use it for, and how you take care of it. if you take care of a chevy theyll last you forever. i have a 79 that someone took care of and the body is in REAL good condition, and then i have a 78 thats got some rust and isnt in quite as good of a condition but its all according to how you take care of em. ive heard acouple people around here complaining about their rearend goin out- but thats because they put 39s or 44s on em and didnt strengthen anything else up and then go and rag on it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:30 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I had a 97 3/4 ton Chevy and I had more problems with it than you could count. It kept blowing axle seals, motor blew a head, had to replace ball joints at 25K miles, even the heater motor went on me. Oh yea, I also had to replace the power steering pump and fuel pump, replace the solenoid that engages the 4 wheel drive.

I have an F-350 now and I'm very happy with it.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

bubbasbbq wrote:

watchout for that spontanious combustable ignition switch/cruise control that have been known to set fords on fire for over a decade... not to mention the automatic hubs that work when theyre not supposed to and not work when you need it...

chevy is cheaper price wise but much better quality... also chevy isnt picking up all their plants and takin em to mexico along with all the american jobs :evil: :x

Post subject: like the way u think
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:30 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

AMANDA, U might have been a little rough on the fellow that owns the f350. But I like that what U said about AMERICAN JOBS. Folks our country is billed as the most powerful in the world. How can we stay that way unless we have work for our people. All these greedy some-beaches that are moving factories to mexico and other places off shore, because they want more profit margins, need to think about somebody beside lining their pockets with more gold. I try to buy american. lots of times I won't buy unless its american. I do without sometimes if I can't buy american. I think every one should do this. If we did them fat cats might eventually get a clue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:05 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ItsOlMander wrote:
bubbasbbq wrote:

watchout for that spontanious combustable ignition switch/cruise control that have been known to set fords on fire for over a decade... not to mention the automatic hubs that work when theyre not supposed to and not work when you need it...

chevy is cheaper price wise but much better quality... also chevy isnt picking up all their plants and takin em to mexico along with all the american jobs :evil: :x

Don't have Automatic Hubs, Amanda, the super duty models have manually locking hubs. Also, I have a diesel motor so the iginition and cruise are both different than in a gas model.

My biggest complaint about it is that I do not think the fords have as durable a finish/paint as the GMs, but otherwise I'm happy with my truck.

You are correct that Chevy isn't going to Mexico to build cars and trucks, my 3/4 ton was built in Windsor, Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:01 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Post subject: FORD PARTS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:05 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

BUBBA, ain't ford been building parts in Canada fer years? ( ie 351 Windsor engines) i'm fairly sure all "american" automotive companies have been outsourcing to china and japan since the mid 70's. I can also remember UAW making a stand about that within the last few years. (less than ten) I ain't a big ford fan but I am driving one. I like chevy's better but I'm basing that on the late 50's to mid 70's When u could swap parts off most any small block chevy and put em on any other small block chevy. Fact is you could soup up a chevy motor using factory parts off another motor. Like when chevy built that 302 in the late 60's it was a 327 with a 283 crankshaft. larger bore and shorter strock and they built revs quick that way. My younger brother built a 350 small block that was stock parts exept for the intake and exhaust manifold, that'd pull the front end off the ground in second gear.