CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:25 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Earlier this month I posted a pic of my new dog trailer. It was the aluminum 4 hole dog trailer pictured below. I sold it last week to a bird hunter in Kansas.

Nothing was wrong with the trailer, but the more I thought about it, I wanted to go with this other style trailer I was thinking about. I had plans on having a enclosed pen attached to a dog box on a 4x8 foot trailer. Well the more I thought about that style, the more I realized both trailers weren't as versatile as I needed.

So I contacted the place that I bought the 4 dog trailer from and had them build me a dog box. I had a trailer company down the road build me a trailer to my specs on what was needed.

Here is the results:

I can still haul 4 dogs, I have top storage on the dog box and have storage on the trailer.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:15 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thyats a nice lookin trailer Buckshot!!! Ive considered trailers int he past.. but have always been petrified of asphyxiating my dogs onj one of those cold nights we need to have the truck running..... what are your experiances with a trailer set up?? I assume you have never had this problem or you wouldnt own one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:07 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Yeah A boy I hunt with has a beagle box thats basically a trailer with a box built on top of it. It dont have compartments or nothing but its pretty handy! Ill try and get a pic of it if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Dix.. we will have two dogs IN the box and two out hunting... when we hit the next spot, we will switch them and hunt the rested pair... we can go all night long like this without stressing the dogs or burning them out.. although sometimes I wish I could sit in the truck and wait for the next round :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:25 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Yeah last time we had my Dixie, a dog named Blue, a redtick, and a dog named Blackjack lol all crammed in a beagle box. I would have felt bad if we had a long ways to go but they were only cramped for a small amount of time. :roll: I never thought of the asfixiation thing before that IS scary.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ive seen it first hand once, and heard other horror stories about it... but the one time I saw it happen, it was a homemade trailer hooked to an old ford Diesel.. had a young pup in the trailer that they didnt want to run the socks off of.. left the truck running because of the cold. Took quite a while to get the dogs out.. Opened the box to put them in, and the pup was as dead as a hammer... the diesel had a tailpipe vented out behind the rear tire just like they come from the factory... dont know if it was a fluke, or if the wind was just right.. have no clue.. thats why I asked what Buckshots experiances were...
In retrospect... I would imagine, if the conditions were just right, it could happen in a regular dogbox as well, though I have never heard tell of it........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:47 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

knight, I really can't see how either trailer would be a problem as holes are not in the path of the exhaust pipe.

The dog box on the truck is closer the exhaust pipe than the trailer's dog box as well as the hole. If my dogs have lived on a cold night with the wind blowing the exhaust in the direction of the dog box hole , I would imagine they would be OK with the dog trailer's box as well.

Dog trailers are as safe as your dog box. You shouldn't worry about asphyxiating your dog.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:51 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

My thing is , if you have a prob with the truck running and worried bout killing the dogs , don't let the truck sit still and run for a long time . Tough it out and put a coat on .

Sam's Creek Kennels
Home of
"PR" OLD TENNESSEE'S LITTLE LADY

"PR" Hayes' Little Treein Buddy

Jasmine "the over hyper Shih Tzu"

Post subject: Looks Good
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I like it, I like the fact that there is a "landing area" that the dogs can stand on etc... behind the boxes. I have ZERO experince with dog boxes... but it seems practical to me. WHen I have a crate in the suburban I like to have a Landing area where i can do something to the dog if I need to before he hops out or crates up so your trailer looks like it has a bonus there. Have to say MAN is it CLEAN! Like a new white pair of sneakers... :lol: Hope it worls out Perfectly for you and gets tons of use! Happyhunting, Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

looks real nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks Buckshot.. I kind of figured there wasnt a MAJOR problem with asphyxiation.. or people wouldnt use as many trailers as they do... I am gonna guess the probelm with this one was because it didnt have enough vents.. or that the vetns were just situated wrong that night... I iomagine that the dog could of even had a heart attack or something, but it was a young dog.... so no idea really, it was just dead in the trailer when we got back...
I also like the design you have set up... leaves room for putting stuff in the back of the trailer as well if your takin a trip... could possibly even put the dogs in the back for a we bit o riggin.... ingenuity at its best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:08 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Buckshot where did you say you got that original trailor from? Didnt you say somewhere in Georgia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:11 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

No I got the other dog trailer here in Alabama in another town. They were the ones that also built me the dog box for my new trailer set-up.

http://www.truckerswarehouse.com/

I was looking at a company in GA at their trailer. I had orginally wanted to go with the 4x8 trailer with dog box on trailer and the rest of the trailer having a open meshed in kennel area. I decided it wasn't versatile enough so I did away with plans for the messed in pen area. Now I have space to load stuff on. if I need the trailer for anything else, I can unattach the dog box and use it.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:13 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Drew,
I like the other one better. It sure was sharp.

Home of:
"NGRCH GRCH Bolt Action Mundar Rick" DNA-VIP
"GRCH Bolt Action Hot Topic" DNA-P

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:39 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, it was alot sharper than this set-up but wasn't as versatile for my needs. LOL, I'll give up looks any day for convenience.

Profile  WWW