CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:52 am 
IP:
From what I am gathering something in the mid 80's to early 90's. 22re 4 cylinder would do the job? I sure appreciate the info.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If you're gonna be rough on it,I'd say try to find a pre- '86 that had a solid front axle.I've just about perfected swapping out older axles into newer trucks-even Toyota axles into Nissans,Mazdas, and Samurais.In a light weight lower- powered vehicle, these things are bomb-proof.The 1985 model was the only one that offered a stright axle and fuel injection, but if you're not gonna be climbing the side of a mountain, I wouldn't stress too much over EFI. I also wouldn't be too worried about whether it was a standard cab or extended cab- those extended cabs have enough room for a gun, or a 12 pack of drinks, but folk definately ain't gonna be too comfy back there (pre- '88, that is).As the others said, as with any vehicle, crawl around under it and look for bad spots in the frame, drips, etc.I wouldn't let a little body rust keep me from getting it, though, some how a hunting rig just looks right with some dents and rust.I think the perfect hunting vehicle would be an '85 Toyota tuck with a camper shell on back, a 5,000 # winch, 34" Super Swampers,3" pipe bumpers front and back,and a hole in the floor for tobacco- chewing purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:46 am 
IP:
I work on Toyota's quiet a bit. If your looking for a straight-axle, you want between an 83' and an 85'. Drivetrain wise those models are almost bulletproof. If you step up to the 86' through 92' models you go to short-arm-long-arm front suspension. Ball-joints, and steering arms are bad to go out, but are cheap and easy to replace. Also have some trouble out of wheel bearings. 93' and up also stuck with the short-arm-long-are front but made some changes to the components which are holding up better. Engine wise... 20R, 22R,22RE, all notorious for blowing head gaskets somewhere between 160,000-225,000. But after 225,000 miles your overdue to spend a lil money right? Toyota had problems with the gasket meshing between cast-iron block, and the alluminum head. So when the gasket goes, it will save you money in the long run to buy a NEW head and a top-line gasket. Also replace the thermostat with a OEM one. While your in there a timing chain kit will benifit you. Transmissions bearings go out, taking out the rest of the tranny. I would try to steer clear of the V6 in the 92 and older models, more trouble than their worth. As far as newer models go, there mechanically sound, but get the gas milage of a full size V-8. Bottom line is, do a lil background work on a vehicle before you buy it. Make sure its been well maintained, with regular service. I've had several and no matter how easy you take it, some things endure normal wear and tear and must be replaced. Go ahead and bet on around 200,000mi forking out for a clutch kit, ball-joints, front-end bushings. When the head gasket goes, that will run you about 500.00-700.00, that is done RIGHT. With that said, you should have a mechanically sound truck for another 100,000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:56 am 
IP:
This is great info, keep it comin. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 97 with 165,000 on it. It's got the 2.7L in it and has been one heck of a truck. I hunt out of it, pull boat with it, and in the summer pull mower and trailers all summer long. No there not just full of power and or room but just a all around good truck, that they are. I have put over 100,000 of those miles on this truck and since I got it I've had the started rebuilt once ($25) and a easy fix and had to replace the intake manifold once ($300) took that to a guy. It's blown the head gasket now and I'm gonna have to replace that but for the abuse it's been through and the miles it has I think ($325) is well worth it. I'm bout to get married and will probably have to sell it for a bigger truck so I can fit a family in it but I sure do wish I could keep her around for life.!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

As much as hound hunters use trucks it looks like there would be a truck forum here.
I think it would be a good forum to discuss vehicle problems and different modifications and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:38 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

LCK... The frames rust between the gas tank and the frrame for the most part. Brake lines are there also. Check that frame really good and do not buy one that has been butched. Try to find a stock one and put a flat bed on it. Timing chain tensioner and plastic guide need to be replaced at 125k miles or you will not like what happens. Timing chain cover also wets worn . The front ends are very hardy on all years up until the Tacoma. Rocker panels rust out fairly decent but you can get patches for them. They are light in the back so a load of wood or a heavy dog box would help. Average weight would be around 287lbs in the rear. Body lifts lead to snaped mounts so they are not a good idea. I have been a Toyota Tech for many years. I know alot more but there is not enough room here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:18 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Anybody wanna sell one or know where one is for sale around TN ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:35 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

sorry guys theres always has to that ##*%* on every post well im going to be that guy buy chevy buy american made ive never had any problems with mine the dealer i use is the best around and would recomend them to anyone i know i know some of the parts come else where however when you buy american the base amount of that money stays here when you buy foreign it goes to japan now im not saying foreign cars are bad or the people buying are bad its just my opinion that we should buy american

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:43 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

plott power wrote:
sorry guys theres always has to that ##*%* on every post well im going to be that guy buy chevy buy american made ive never had any problems with mine the dealer i use is the best around and would recomend them to anyone i know i know some of the parts come else where however when you buy american the base amount of that money stays here when you buy foreign it goes to japan now im not saying foreign cars are bad or the people buying are bad its just my opinion that we should buy american

I don't think you're an ##*%*, so don't think I am either, LOL. But to think buying a foreign made Chevy, owned by stockholders all around the globe will keep your money in America you're crazy. There are no more "American" or "Japanese" car companies. It is now a total global market. In fact go out and buy a Toyota truck, it was most likely made in America, buy a Chevy, probably foreign made. I'm not saying I like it or it's right that it's a global market, but it is. Good old patriotic Chevy was one of the first and biggest to sell out American jobs to Canada and Mexico once NAFTA was passed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:10 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

The last I knew Toyota was 91% made in the USA. I have never seen any other "American" truck that could go over 700k miles on the original engine without being rebuilt. The standards are much more strict and the tolerences are closer for Toyota that Chevy. The facts prove it buddy. Do a little research before you make a statement of what you do not know to be true only what you believe is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

plott power wrote:

Ok, I got the Made in USA bug, so I bought a 2003 Silverado and guess what? Come to find out it was built with about 90% US/Canadian and the rest... Mexico, China, Spain, Japan, Hungary, and Germany...
So where'd my money go???

I had a 1998 Tacoma Made in the USA in the New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. Manufacturing plant in Fremont, California.
Built with about 90% US content... The rest was Japan...
Great truck, couldn't kill it!!!

The Silverado has been back to the dealer 5 times for serpentine belt squeal alone... Still unresolved, and the warranty has run out...
Three recall campaigns as well

The Tacoma went back once for a failed cassette tape player(remember those?)

I'd recommend any of the Toyotas anyday!
Get the Extra Cab if your over 5' 10"
I'm 6' and cramped like heck in the Standard Cab on a long ride. AND STAY AWAY FROM THE V-6'S The ex-wife had two of them and they were gas hogs and not much more usable power than the 4 banger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

mn_skeeter... Check the belt for contamanation and also check the tensioner. I believe they also have an idler pulley that has a bearing that goes bad also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ive had my 99 toyota for 5 years now and I love it.I think its impossible to get the thing stuck.As for rust, they must be doing something different to them now because I wash mine once or twice a year and it doesnt have any rust on it. I looked at older ones before I bought this one and the one thing I would watch out for is the frames.I test drove an 89 and the frame broke in 2 above the rear axle as I was driving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yup, you can forget that America made stuff when it comes to cars and trucks.
I have a 04' Silverado and if ya crawl over it you find it hard to find parts made here. I've not had any serious problems with it other than the 4WD unit and the front axle differential had to be completely replaced at 32000 miles. The dealer said it was a freak thing. I use my 4WD alot but that's ridiculous.
When I was hunting trucks I looked at Toyotas and Nissans, but I didn't like the Tacoma, ( too small ) and the Nissan Titan had just came out and I didn't want to get a first year model. I need a full size and Chevrolet is my first love so what are ya gonna do?
I had a 98' Nissan frontier 4cyl and it was a great truck but too alittle and for a 4cyl, it didn't get great mileage, about 22mpg max.
I get 15.5-16 in town with my V8 325ci enigne now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next