CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yea, i go to the hunts, i run either a english bitch or my walker male. near every hunt within 100 miles i am at.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:14 pm 
IP:
hey all you guys who have suv's. how do you transport your dogs. i just sold my truck and now have a jeep. thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:17 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

3 ways.

- A regular dog box

- Plastic Dog Carrier

- SUV Barrier and dogs in back.

I bought my Owens box from a guy who had his box in a Ford Explorer. Box was 3 months old and never been in the back of a truck....It was just like it was new.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: My hound
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

rides in the back seat of my Jeep Cherokee. He wears a harness and I run a seatbelt through a loop in the harness. They sell that kind of harness in any pet food store, but you can run the seatbelt through the loop on most any harness.. With the windows open, the hound even rigs from back there.
The harness keeps him from breaking his neck if I stop short. The seatbelt keeps him from jumping out the window on a hot track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have a chevy blazer 2d and i just throw them in the back and go...only thing is, is if you have a young dog and they crap in the back that sucks!!!

DON'T FORGET PAPERS MEAN A LIL' BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN PAPERS PUT A COON IN A TREE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

treemyhound wrote:
i have a chevy blazer 2d and i just throw them in the back and go...only thing is, is if you have a young dog and they crap in the back that sucks!!!

or catch a skunk?? hope its not a daily driver lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

o yea its the main thing i drive to school and all...i one of the dogs get sprayed i call my dad to bring a dog box...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:33 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

When I had a Jeep, I bought one of those luggage rack carries that go in the reese hitch and built a dog box to fit that. Worked really well. Only thing is you have to take ratchet straps and hook it from the cargo racks on top of the jeep to the dog box, this makes it very secure!! One of my friends had one custom built by diamond deluxe to fit his chevy blazer.

"PR" ADAM'S OUTLAWIN' BLAZE
CH "PR" SKIPPIN' LIPPIN' LADY
"PR" SMOKEY BLUE MISTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Whatever it is get it up above exhaust pipe or something to keep them away away from carbonmonoxide (red lights,stop signs)running down drafting in box.jmo

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A "92" (200,000 miles) Toyota Land Cruiser "Bear Rig" the rear is totaly striped out with astro turf on the Floor.. 5 hounds can Strike at the same time.. Just One Prob. Usualy 3 of the Hounds Call "ShotGun"

Come see the Majestic's at http://home.mindspring.com/~stevemorrow/index.html Or Salt Lick Kennels at http://home.earthlink.net/~landjmorrow/saltlickkennels/

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I used to have a Ford Explorer and I had an Owens dog box with bottom storage. It worked just fine in the back. Only complaint I had was that it vibrated a whole lot and was way too noisy for me. But someone else might know how to fix that... I just turned the radio up!

859-333-4443

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ran a Jeep cherokee last year. Lead dog had shotgun, nose stuck to the windshield. Made me drive alittle nicer. He never took his eyes off the road. Just keep the window up high enough that they can't jump. Mine did once :shock: at about 20mph. scared the heck outta me. Didn't seem to bother him though. I try to confine them to the back though, just quit telling Bartdog no, its easier that way. :lol:

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:49 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i don't have a suv but i let mine ride in a sedan. they set or lay on the back seat, or the front seat. they stick their head out or they don't. i use an old car that is on its last leg. when it quits, it's going for parts or to the junkyard. if i use my better old car, they do the same thing but i don't go hunting in it. you never know what they will have on them when they come back. i usually pick ticks off as i drive home. we stop at the store to get a snack to share. hey, to me, they're just like family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have a Jeep.

I attached a piece of chain between two tie downs in the back and another piece, for each dog, long enough they can stand up coming off the strapped down chain. Use the metal caribeaner (sp) type clips. Have three in side pouch so I can adjust for how many dogs are riding back there. The caribeaners are lots easier to readjust than the cheaper screw type attachers.

If there were an accident and I were knocked out I wouldn't want the dogs running willy nilly across the road. This is why I tie them down. Plus, no matter how well behaved they are, a dog is a dog and even Huck has smelled something that made her act stupid while I was driving. They can't help it.

Now for that kid who calls his parents if the dogs get into to something and he doesn't want to stink up his car....DANG! Count your blessings and be sure to let them know how much you appreciate them! I love my daughter and would walk to the ends of the earth for her if need be, but she'd know better than call for help with a stinky dog!!!

Oregon http://www.bayingbriars.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:17 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

you guys and gals must bathe your hounds a lot more than I do!! I'd buy a plastic or metal travel cage. If you look hard enough you should be able to find one big one to keep two hounds in or two just right to keep a hound in each. Or build a simple one yourself to fit your dimensions. Now my wife drives my truck rarely but when she does it be be representitively clean and acceptable!!! LOL The old hound smell, the hair, the dirt, mud grime, coyote yuck, etc. etc. etc. after a chase. I picked up a hound once when my kennel space was full, so she rode shotgun. It got pretty messy and hairy and odiferous (if that's a word) just on the ride home can't imagine doing that over and over and over again (and stay married anyway!!) enjoy, Paul Conway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next