CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: question about truck????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:05 pm 
IP:
yes i got a 85 f150 it ran good for abbout 3 mouths and then i didnt drive in for about 2 mouths i went out to start it the other day and it wouldnt strat go i took the battery outta my brothers car and it fired up then died then fired up then died then i tryed to turn it over agian it made a pop noise and wont start could it be the starter or they altanator or maybe just the battery just someone please let me know what you think any answer would be great thank you
Gavin

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey ya said any answer, Buy a chevy LOL :lol: Mike

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:56 pm 
IP:
yea haha lol chevys like a rock gotta kick it to make it move

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

if it has a standard try pullin it off if. not get a good battery and roll it over with the push side of the fuel pump disconnected if it doesn't shoot gas every where then the pump is out. could be that the pump is only putting out enough for a slight cranking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:58 am 
IP:
thanks ya ruff ill go try it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what engine do you have the inline sixes used alot of fiber timing gears that could go out anytime fuel pump and carb is a good place to start with a very few of those trucks had V8's with fuel injection never worked on them if anyone is interested I have a strong 351 cleveland with low miles around 12:1 compression Lunati cam Ford Racing roller rockers Edelbrock intake 700cfm Holley double pumper, I also have a couple of blocks would make somebody a good deal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:36 pm 
IP:
it has the v8 302

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

if its got a carb, you can do this (never tried it with feul injection) take a nail and punch a hole in the top of a coke bottle, put some gas in it, get some one to crank the truck while you trickle gas in the carb. if you have to keep squirting gas into the carb then you have fuel problems ie fuel pump or some thing in the bowl. efi's are pretty dependable but when they dont crank then the problems are usually more complicated. good luck. if it has a standard u usually can pull it off a while and if it will run it usually will run after a pulling if its the starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well if you put a battery in it from someones car and then it popped off some and quick it is almost guaranteed fuel. In an engine its either fuel or fire(spark). Take a hammer and find the fuel pump and hit a few times decently, ussualy gets em going if thats the prob. Open your butterflys on your carb and spary some carb cleaner down there and see if she popps off. If none of this works idk what to tell ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

you said 302 V8 I would assume it has a 2barrel autolite carb on it they were pretty dependable but hard on fuel before I would squirt gas down a carb on a running motor you should fill the bowel on the carb easy to do with engine off dump gas down vent tube on top of carb all carbs will have this engine should start and run a minute or two until bowel is empty if it does run there is a fuel delivery problem check filter, probably bad fuel pump on the autolite carbs the diaphram for the accelerator pump can dry out from sitting usually engine can be started will run rough and be hard to keep running these are bolted on the front of carb and very easy to change Holley carbs have a similar setup with the pump on the bottom of carb most of the time these will idle ok and stall when you hit the gas pedal dumping gas down carb on a running motor can be dangerous engine can backfire through carb and then you have a big fire with you leaning over it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:29 pm 
IP:
yea curhunter its got the holley 2 barrel i also got a holley 4 barrel you think if i switched carbs that mite help bbut that 4 barrel will tear me up on gas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

your intake is setup for a 2bbl carb you have to change to a 4bbl intake or run an adapter plate I am not a fan of these they can be hard to seal stick up higher and do not flow to match 4bbl carb did you try my suggestions there is a good chance it's the fuel pump if it is the carb a 4bbl carb is not always harder on gas if you don't floor it and open the secondaries you can improve mileage as the primaries are usually smaller than original 2bbl I would recomend a good intake for the 4bbl but after you buy an intake and gaskets you could get a new 2bbl for same or less money if trying to improve performance Holley Truck Avenger carb with a good dual plane low rise intake works very well in a truck just don't put to big of carb on most people do a 570cfm to 600cfm is plenty on stock 302 anything bigger and you are just wasteing fuel and loosing responsiveness