CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: toyota idle problem ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:47 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i've worked on many lil toyota 4x4,but my friends 92 has a strange idle problem. when it idles it goes up and down,if you engage the transfer case into 4 wheel high it smooths out. put it back in 2 wheel high and its up and down again..........? there is no vacume line or wires that are hooked to the transfer case that would cause this.it does it in or out of gear. any ideas?..its a 4 cyl, 5 speed 22re............TC

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've got the same engine in my Toyota.....only mine is a 94. Sometimes when it starts it will idle super rough for a few seconds and then die. Other times it starts up and idles fine. When it starts the rough idle....you can stand on the gas and it does nothin but sputter. Give it a few seconds with your foot tappin the gas and it will "catch" and off you'll go. If you take your foot off the gas while the idle is rough it will die everytime. Occasionally when I slow down to go around a corner, make a turn, etc....it will die completely halfway through the turn. It always starts right back up. Its just a question of whether or not it will idle ok. Another thing....when its idle is real rough.....smoke just pours outta the exhaust while you try to hit the gas. But again....after a few seconds it will "catch", the idle gets better and the exhaust clears up. I've asked mechanics and no one seems to have any idea since it only does it occasionally. Anyone have any ideas on this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

beardsNspurs wrote:
I've got the same engine in my Toyota.....only mine is a 94. Sometimes when it starts it will idle super rough for a few seconds and then die. Other times it starts up and idles fine. When it starts the rough idle....you can stand on the gas and it does nothin but sputter. Give it a few seconds with your foot tappin the gas and it will "catch" and off you'll go. If you take your foot off the gas while the idle is rough it will die everytime. Occasionally when I slow down to go around a corner, make a turn, etc....it will die completely halfway through the turn. It always starts right back up. Its just a question of whether or not it will idle ok. Another thing....when its idle is real rough.....smoke just pours outta the exhaust while you try to hit the gas. But again....after a few seconds it will "catch", the idle gets better and the exhaust clears up. I've asked mechanics and no one seems to have any idea since it only does it occasionally. Anyone have any ideas on this problem?
the electric fuel pump takes a second to prime when starting, turn the key on and wait a couple seconds before you engage the starter. the injectors being partly plugged will cause that symptom and is more then likely the reason it is an occasional problem and when they clean out it will seem to "catch" when the injectors start to spray insted of squirt. when they squirt insted of spray,it will cause it to pour out white smoke from the exhaust. about 3 ounces of marvels mystery oil in the gas will help clean them out and works better and is cheaper then fuel injection cleaner.to change the injectors you have to remove the fuel injection set up. the injectors look like spark plugs on the left side under the fuel injection box.the stalling on turns may be the fuel /air mixture adjustment too lean.............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Is that fuel/air mixture being too lean a problem that happens by itself? I've not had any problem with this truck until this started a few months ago.....hence the hood hasn't even been up except for routine maintenance. I'm not one to talk like I know engines, how to work on vehicles, etc....because I'm not. Would this problem me magnified when the truck had been running at least a few minutes? The truck always seems to fire right up and idle smooth when its cold. This problem certainly occurs more often when the truck is warmed up.

You're thinking the idle problem and the stalling on turns, when I slow down, etc....is quite possibly 2 seperate problems?

Where would a guy get some of this marvels mystery oil?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

you can get the marvels oil at meijers ,wallmart,auto parts stores.red and black bottle. it could be two problems or one causing the other. even though the lil motors run forever they can be finicky. if the air tube that goes to the air box is loose or not sealed they either wont run or will run rough. if the fluid level is down in the radiador they will idle up and down like you are reving the motor. check for a vacume hose that has come loose too or cracked. if you have not turned the air/mixture screw it should not be out of adjustment. because the fast idle is engaged when it is cold may be why you don't notice the problem untill it warms up and idles down. i think its about 3 ounces of the mystery oil to a tank of gas. there is a ground wire(a black wire) that grounds the fuel injection unit , its on the fuel injection side. make sure that wire is not loose.because it is when it is warmed up, still makes me think the injectors are partly plugged.or gummed up. and that would cause a lean condition symptom,the fast idle circut dumps so much gas when they are cold,the partly plugged injectors don't matter. usually when they stall out when you let off the gas to stop or turn, it is because its a lean air/fuel mixture.partly plugged injectors will cause that..... i hope some of this helps........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It certainly gives me some places to start. I appreciate the help. I'd try to help you with your problem....but I dont think you'd want that to happen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it smoking and not taking the gas may be a rich condition. too much gas. that could be a sticky intake valve.OR the injector squirting and not spraying so the gas and air mixes like it should.smoking white or heavy black smoke is uaually caused by unburned raw fuel. the mystery oil is a detergent oil,kind of like tranny fluid, it will lubricate and help clean the whole intake and valve set up and should help if it is a valve sticking or plugged injectors. it may take a tank or two before you see a differance in it...........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:16 pm 
IP:
I have a 94 ranger that done the same thing and it ended up being the idle air control valve. I am not sure if your toyota has one but it might be something you could check in to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

on my friends 91 problem or beardsandspurs or both?...my friends is a weird deal.................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:55 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Ok guys......First of all do any of you have an oiled filter like the K&n filter"? Let me know then we can go from there. Also I cannot remember are both of these engines the 22RE (fuel injection)?

The online tech is in the house! I always wanted to say that lol :P :P :P :P :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

both are 22 re engines w/f,i .my friends and probably beardsandspurs too have the stock paper filter air filter.i have owned 7 of these lil trucks and never saw any reason to change the filter to a k&n.................TC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:29 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
i've worked on many lil toyota 4x4,but my friends 92 has a strange idle problem. when it idles it goes up and down,if you engage the transfer case into 4 wheel high it smooths out. put it back in 2 wheel high and its up and down again..........? there is no vacume line or wires that are hooked to the transfer case that would cause this.it does it in or out of gear. any ideas?..its a 4 cyl, 5 speed 22re............TC

im not any type of master machanic or anything but i know a little about vehicles. but this does sound wierd that it doesn't idles strange in 4wd. however it does sound kinda like a vacuum leak IMO, now i dont know much about how the system is on a toyota but i know on some vehicles have a vacuum on the transfer case. you said the toyota does not, i wonder if the front differential has a vacuum on it causing a leak when the 4wd is not engaged?

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:37 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i'm thinking the drag from the transfer case brings the idle down and smoothes it out or something. toyotas are manual transfer case and manual lock out hubs....................TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:42 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Good call on the K&N filters...all they do is cause problems.

What kind of idle difference are we talking about. Give me a base idle number and then give me the elevated idle while in 4WD. Me thinks the IAC circut is doing it. It is suppose to to some extent but I need to know idle speeds.

The axles are not like on a Jeep with the vacuum disconnects However I do believ there is a vacuum line way up on the top but it has been some time so I could be talking about another transmission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My uncles toyota was idling like that. It was the idle air control valve