CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ranger question ?????
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 am 
IP:
yes i have been lookin at a 89 4x4 6 cylinder ford ranger but the guy said its leakin water he said when you start it it leaks all out what do you guy think this could be i was thinkin maybe the freeze plug or the water pump but my buddys uncle was sayin it could have a cracked block is that possible??????

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

When you first start it up, or after it warms up? If it's while it's cold it would almost have to be the water pump, because there's no water circulating thru the block 'til it gets warm enough to open the thermostat. Otherwise, it could very well be a cracked block or blown head gasket. The bottom line is this- walk- no, run away. That truck has either been dogged out or ran extremely hot- best case scenario it needs new heads, and Lord only knows what the transmission, transfer case, and axles have been thru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:43 am 
IP:
alrite thanx man the guy has another 4x4 ranger that just needs a fly wheel you think i should just try to get that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think the only 6 cyl they had in those in 89 was the 2.9L If it has the 2.9 in it then you are probably looking at headgaskets, They were well known for that. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:55 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

indianaconhunter346 wrote:
alrite thanx man the guy has another 4x4 ranger that just needs a fly wheel you think i should just try to get that one

If he's giving you a great deal, keep it in mind, but I'd look around and see what else is out there. A flywheel is like the other truck that's leaking water- something had to cause that problem. Not to sound overly negative, but remember a flywheel is just one link in the chain of torque converter, starter, and crankshaft.