CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Just bought this truck it has a vibration.Replaced all 3 u-joints also the carrier bearing put it back together and still has the vibration almost seems to be worse.Thought it might be a tire but i changed it and the vib.is still there.I also checked both wheels for play in the bearings i couldnt find and play there either.I did find a drag link that is worn some but not to bad that it needs replaced right now.I greased everything but none of the above seemed to help.Seems like it only vibrates around 30 pluse MPH and dosent go away when you put it in neutral at that speed. Any help would be greatly appreceated as this seems to have me stumped . THANKS

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 pm 
IP:
Ball Joints???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:08 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Is the vibration in the steering wheel or can you fill it in your set?If it is in the steering wheel it's front end if you fill it in your set it's the rear.shocks could be bad making the tires kinda hop down the road if ya know what I mean?Check all your rims make sure they ain't bent.

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

No i dont think it in the front end or tires.We took the drive shaft out and towed it down the road at 55 mph and it rode like a caddy,no vibration whatsoever.Also i put the rearend up on stands and put it in drive and still had the vib with the wheels off the ground.Im leaning towards the rear end now.Thinkin about pulling the inspection plat off and looking inside maybe even pulling the axles out to check the axle bearings i dont know what else it could be unless the driveshaft is bent and i cant see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:47 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

geo wrote:
No i dont think it in the front end or tires.We took the drive shaft out and towed it down the road at 55 mph and it rode like a caddy,no vibration whatsoever.Also i put the rearend up on stands and put it in drive and still had the vib with the wheels off the ground.Im leaning towards the rear end now.Thinkin about pulling the inspection plat off and looking inside maybe even pulling the axles out to check the axle bearings i dont know what else it could be unless the driveshaft is bent and i cant see it.

your right on track. something i do is chalk the driveshaft. if you can put it up on stands SAFELY and have a steady hand it works well to check driveshafts. have someone run the vehicle and run up the driveshaft with a chalkstick. if the chalk quits hitting thats where the problem is. be careful though its kind of dangerous. LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

mnb&t is on the right track is it all the time or on excelleration it could be in the rear end pinion bearing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You might check the trans mount bushing also check to see if the weights are still on the shaft, it dosent take much to throw the balance of shaft off. 94 95 96 had a problem with flywheel weights also the pinion bearing could be bad..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

check the drive shaft for straightness an u said u changed the u joints in the drive shaft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:58 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

rear drive shaft out of balance or bent. ring and pinion will whine most of the time if there is a problem or vibrate alot more when de- accelerating.check the back lash by rotating the drive shaft back and fourth to see how much play is in the ring and pinion gears between the teeth....................TC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:50 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
rear drive shaft out of balance or bent. ring and pinion will whine most of the time if there is a problem or vibrate alot more when de- accelerating.check the back lash by rotating the drive shaft back and fourth to see how much play is in the ring and pinion gears between the teeth....................TC

right idea tc, but to properly check backlash you must do it off ring gear itself. moving the driveshaft or pinion you are also feeling any wear in the spider gears or pin.