CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: securing dog box?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:56 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

how do you cooners secure your dog box to your truck. i just bought a box and im going to have to put handles on it so i was thinking of chaining it to the truck cleats and threw the handles of the box. any better ideas out there?

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: securing dog box?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

cwt wrote:
how do you cooners secure your dog box to your truck. i just bought a box and im going to have to put handles on it so i was thinking of chaining it to the truck cleats and threw the handles of the box. any better ideas out there?

go on the inside of both sides of the box floor drill a whole down through it and the truck bed put bolts in through the floor and through the bottom of truck bed and put lock washers on it works good

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks i was thinking of something like that but wasnt sure if there ws an easier way

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I take my box out too much to drill holes so I got some coated cable from Lowe's and crimped some loops at the end and lock them to my bottom truck cleats. Will not stop bolt cutters but keeps the "honest thieves" away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

just run some I-bolts through the bottom or top sides of the box and go to lowes and get some turnbuckles. Its not as good as locking one to the truck but you have to remember that a thief is looking to make a quick get-away and looking for something to just snatch off. They aren't going to take the time to loosen four turnbuckles to take the box off. I use the turnbuckles on my Owens box which only goes in my new truck. I have to take it in and out all the time, but I have my other box bolted to the bed of my '84 Chevy C-20. I've never had any problems with anyone messing with either one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

B@T-CHief wrote:
guess i am just from a small town or something cause i dont know anyone that bolts there box to there truck bed i like most people in my area just us a bungee strap or ratchet strap and thats to just keep the box from moving lol guess that just goes to show how different places are.

true, but you never know what part of town (or the state?) your dogs will take ya

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs."

"When the going gets tough, the great ones party."

"Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows the fool."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:45 pm 
IP:
B@T-CHief wrote:
guess i am just from a small town or something cause i dont know anyone that bolts there box to there truck bed i like most people in my area just us a bungee strap or ratchet strap and thats to just keep the box from moving lol guess that just goes to show how different places are.

I dont even do that, it just slides around back there lol. If anyone needs my dogbox that bad they can have it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I also drill holes threw the bottom of both sides of the dog box. Works great!!!!! plus it keeps the box stationary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 pm 
IP:
runninbig wrote:
B@T-CHief wrote:

I dont even do that, it just slides around back there lol. If anyone needs my dogbox that bad they can have it!

Same here! mine just sits in the truck, nothin holdin it down

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I chain and lock mine to the trucks cleats. Works a little but it's not the best way to keep someone from getting it if they want it bad enough!!!

PR kj mainstreet ugly (2 first place wins)

*** They gotta be buckers***
****ROCKINKK CATTLE CO.****

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:14 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have a small truck and a box for a large truck and its from the 70s lol so if u can lift it outta my truck u can have it lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been pondering on putting hood pins in my bed, instead of using permanent bolts. With this you could take your box in and out. You would just have pins sticking up out of the bed when your box was out of the truck. Like this.....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... RP2018A___

Then all you have to do is lock your dog box doors to secure it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

If you want to get really fancy and fool proof and I know that you boys with the high dollar boxes may not like this idea, but as I said it will be steal proof unless they steal your truck. Get you a stainless steel bar. 3/8ths, Drill a hole on each side of your box either at the front corners or the back corners. Back corners if you have bottom storage. Poke the rod all the way through and perform bends up close to the box to fit your tie downs on the side of your truck. Bend a circle in each end of the rod to fit. Then buy a couple of those big master locks that no bolt cutters will cut. No holes and no bolts in the bottom of your truck bed. If you don't like that idea, another one with a little more work will be to make circle on rod on each side of the box and then circle the other pieces from there to the tie downs. That way it would be more flexible when you take the box in and out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:21 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

you can also drill a hole in the back of the box and put an eye bolt in it and drill a hole in your tool box behind the cab if you have one, and put a washer and eye bolt in your tool box, and connect them with a cable with loops and lock the loops together with a lock

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE