CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've got a question for you guys that have lifted trucks. Last month I put a 6-inch lift on my 98 z71. Yes, I did do it for the aesthetic aspect but I was also hoping it would help with the way the truck handles. When I bought it last year the guy had the torsion bars turned over running 35's, and needless to say I ended up putting a LOT of work into it. Since last June I've had a ball joint bust (ended up getting them all replaced), replaced the pitman/idler arms, put 2 master cylinders in it, and pretty much totally reworked the brakes. I'll be the first to admit I get a little paranoid when things feel strange on it, but come on, I've had the brakes go completely out on me while driving and when the ball joint broke I was getting on the interstate...NOT fun. Anyway, when I got the truck back from being lifted I loved the way it drove. The steering felt a lot better and it wasn't all over the road the way it was before. In the past couple weeks it has started to feel different again to me though. I've heard a lot of different squeaks and pops I didn't hear before, and it's almost like the rear end feels "loose" sometimes. That's about the best way I can describe it. What are some things I need to keep an eye on? I'm probably having it checked out sometime this week since the brakes are starting to feel really low to the floor again, and I wanted to see if any of y'all had some advice on what I should have looked at on it...

UKC CH AKC CCH'PR' Moss Blue Carolina Rain
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
AKC CCH UKC CH 'PR' Cruses PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk
AKC CCH 'PR' PoisonWhiskey Son of the South
'PR' PoisonWhiskey Hello Darlin'

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:28 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If you have blocks in the rear which you should with a 98, the rear end will just feel loose because of the weight shifting on the blocks. No big deal mine has done it since about a week since I got it lifted. Just make sure you tighten all bolts every now and again.

"PR" Ryan's Slick Grip
"PR" Cripple Creek Rock

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

After installing a suspention lift, or any kind of lift for that matter, you should check all your bolts a few times to make sure they are tight. Usually you will only have to re-tighten them once. If they have never been re-tightened I bet you have a few loose bolts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

throw a solid axle in there!!!thats the way ta go

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

its the trucks way of telling you it wants 18X44 Groundhawgs for christmas.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetun17/racc ... fmaryland/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

A lifted vehicle is nothing but problems. Better hope you have deep pockets.

Hopefully you did not use blocks on the rear. If you did there is your problem. Hopefully you did not use extended shackles either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Not to discourage you, but those IFS front ends aren't strong enough for big tires. You will have problems with that from now on.Just a fact. Whomever said you should've put a straight axle in it hit the nail on the head. As far as your rear end, if you have blocks, you have to understand that you took a 52" long spring and put it on top of a 6" long x 3" wide block, so you created a sort of teeter totter effect.When the weight shifts, not only is it higher than before, but it's on a smaller surface. Check your U- bolts- they should be torqued to 80 lb./ft and if you see ANY space between the spring and block or block and bolt plate the dial pin is not lined up and you need to drop the rear end and straighten it or it WILL spit that block out.As far as your brakes, the factory master cylinder can't stand up to big tires, either- go to a junkyard and find an old 1- ton Chevrolet (2 or 4 wd) and get the hydrastatic brake booster off of it and put it on your truck. That bad boy will do nose wheelies when you hit the brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Knock on wood, I haven't had any more problems out of it. Maybe I just got used to how it drives! But I do keep a check on things every 3000 miles (which for me is every 2 1/2 months or so as much as I have to travel). I have to say, the old truck runs pretty well to have 220,000 miles on it. Will probably be shopping for a new one around the first of the year, but I love my truck I have now. No reason to get rid of it when it's paid for! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hear that....payed for is good but as long as you dont run nothing over a 35 in the woods on a ifs front end it will be fine....but if you go bigger you break stuff bad off the road you can get away with 37" as long as you stay on the road but for those of us that run dogs dont see the asphalt very much!!! :D but take coleman's advice on the brake booster you can lock all of them up on the road with that joker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

walkerup08 wrote:
I hear that....payed for is good but as long as you dont run nothing over a 35 in the woods on a ifs front end it will be fine....but if you go bigger you break stuff bad off the road you can get away with 37" as long as you stay on the road but for those of us that run dogs dont see the asphalt very much!!! :D but take coleman's advice on the brake booster you can lock all of them up on the road with that joker

I'm not going to lie...my truck hasn't seen much "offroading" besides a few dirt roads since I got it. I make my fiance' tear up his newer (and smaller, haha) truck instead! :) Maybe once I get my new one I'll get to "play" with mine more.

A friend of mine in Timmonsville was telling me about a place in Florence when I was looking for somewhere to have my lift installed...Palmetto something or other? Are they still around? I never could find a phone number for them earlier this year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WHen the t-bars get cranked you are putting tons of stress on your IFS, on top of your truck pushing 35's. And I am guessing he didnt replace your gears? The pops and squeks(sp?) could be from a broken locker or loose ring gear that needs a shim kit. But anytime you go up a bigger size in tires you need to re-gear so you still have power.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

z71carolinablue&redgi wrote:
walkerup08 wrote:

I'm not going to lie...my truck hasn't seen much "offroading" besides a few dirt roads since I got it. I make my fiance' tear up his newer (and smaller, haha) truck instead! :) Maybe once I get my new one I'll get to "play" with mine more.

A friend of mine in Timmonsville was telling me about a place in Florence when I was looking for somewhere to have my lift installed...Palmetto something or other? Are they still around? I never could find a phone number for them earlier this year.

Might of been performance offroad but they are gone now the best place ive found is robert's wheel and tire but he's doin it on the low now...but if you want I can pm you a number for him....he does a outstanding job

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ball joints universals u bolts alinemnt nothing will every work right and it will eat holes in your pocket... sell it and buy a truck you can put big tires under or park it and buy another vehical