CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trailer Wiring Question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I want to add some lights on the back portion of my dog trailer that lights up the area for loading and getting into the top storage and what not.

My question is, can I tie into the existing wiring and have a switch between the light and before I tie into the existing wiring so the lights will only come on when I want them to? LOL, don't want them running when I am driving down the road at night.

Next question, can I tie the lights together on one switch connected to one of the tail lights line or will I need to do them individually.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

question is, can I tie into the existing wiring and have a switch between the light and before I tie into the existing wiring so the lights will only come on when I want them to? LOL, don't want them running when I am driving down the road at night.

answer: they will only work if the running lights are on at the truck..

Next question, can I tie the lights together on one switch connected to one of the tail lights line or will I need to do them individually.[/quote]

next answer: one switch will work but you need to get a power wire to the trailer that is hot when the key is off.. run lights from that and switch,s as you wish, without the lights at the truck needing to be on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:27 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I found a solution...........took my son's 6v box light out and hooked the head to the side of the trailer and worked perfectly.

I remembered I have an old 14v Blazer box light and dug it out and have it on the charger charging.........not sure how much life is in those batteries but will use it until it pluckers out.

No wiring to have to worry about.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i put one of them sticky lights in my top storage works great runs off 4 aa batterys.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:57 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not just the storage I need to light up, it's the whole back end.

Yea, those sticky lights on the storage work ok for the storage box, but doesn't cut it for lighting the whole back end like I need to light up.

The extra box light I had seems to have solved the problem.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:24 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

drew first off, what kind of connector comes off your truck??? flat 4, round 6, or round 7. if its the bigger one there is an auxillary that is hot all the time for like horse trailers and utility trailers with switched lights inside. also on trailers with brakes there is a charge wire for the battery for the breakaway switch, but i assume your little trailer doesnt have brakes. either one of those are 12volt power. i would run a power off the aux (if you have that) to a good light on the back of the trailer then clean a spot off and ground it. also make sure your trailer ground is good so its not only grounding through the hitch. i wouldnt try powering your accesory light through park lights or anything like that will have problems down the road.

if you have the flat four, just run a power wire under the truck with another connector between truck and trailer from the battery with a fuse holder or circuit breaker.(very important) trailer wiring is very simple, just basic electricity but yet confusing until youve had to straighten out one or a thousand. LOL. hollar if you have any questions its easier to do it right once than fight it once a month with problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:17 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's 4 wire..............here is the problem. I need the solution to be that any truck that hooks up to the trailer work without any modification to any vehicle to make the lighting work........hook and go and work basically.

So far the old Blazer light is the solution that will work regardless of what truck hooks up to the trailer.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:54 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Buckshot wrote:
It's 4 wire..............here is the problem. I need the solution to be that any truck that hooks up to the trailer work without any modification to any vehicle to make the lighting work........hook and go and work basically.

So far the old Blazer light is the solution that will work regardless of what truck hooks up to the trailer.

ok i see what your working with. i guess hope the blazer light hangs in there. LOL. if not wire all your pickups with the round seven. thats what all the newer vehicles have factory and can be easily put into an older vehicle. just need a test light and a little time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Drew I understand your problem and I have an easy solution that will work for you and eliminate wiring problems.

Get a deep cycle battery and some LED lights and a solar panel to charge the battery. Just wire it up from there. It will save you many headaches. I used that setup on a trailer for a winch and bed lights.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:38 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOL, the Blazer light way is alot more simpler and less bulky -- easy to charge with smart charger.

Not sure I want to hook up solar panels to the dog trailer. LOL

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:07 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I believe Wal Mart has the solar panel. It is maybe 20" long and 12" wide. Not big at all. You just need it to use it to trickle charge the battery. You can check out Solargizer also. This panel is so small and very tough. It is a charger and the military uses them. I have one on each vehicle including my Gold Wing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:50 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Went with the spare light route solution. I was wrong about the volts, it was a 17v mini I had tucked away not a 14v as I previously mentioned.

Mounted a light bracket on a project box and connected it to the side of the trailer. All I have to do is open the dog box and attach the light head to the side now.

Profile  WWW