CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi everyone just join yesterday! i recently got a walker black and tan mix and i am trying to find some one that knows what they are doing that can help me and my buddy train her and teach us how to hunt coons the right way. we are both 19 and have hunted other game and really want to get into coon hunting so if there is anyone out there that can show us the ropes we would love for you to help us get started!

Thanks, dadu (hounds name is DAisy DUke)

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:12 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

There's a lot of good information on here. I would start by reading some basic obedience books. Ceasers millan has good books, the art of raising a puppy, by the monks of skete is also a good book.
Many coon hunters couldn't train a dog to save there life. So before you can train and understand a hunting dog, you need to understand a regular dog. Basic obedience is a cake walk compared to training a hound. Training a coonhound is a lot is very time consuming and requires a great deal of patience. You better off saving up and buying a broke hound that may have no mouth, or maybe is slow hunter. Some nice dogs can be bought cheap because they have one or 2 flaws that keep them from winning in the hunts, but can still be a lot of fun to hunt.
In the mean time you can work on the pup you have. Get on the united kennel club (UKC). Here in the fall, the hunts will start up. Check the list of events under coon hound nite hunts. They will be posted towards then of October. Find the closest club and show up at one of the night hunts and ask for the master of hounds, and ask him to spectate. He will most likely introduce you to one of the more helpful guys at the club, be respectful and observe quietly, and I'm sure one or 2 of the guys will be happy to take you out again.
You can also post in the ukc page, for local hunters, that site gets a little more traffic, even though this is the better forum.
Best of luck pm if you need anything.
Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the quick response, i will check out those hunts to see if i can tag along.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm sure you can, hunts are a great place to meet people, however during the actual hunt guys can take pretty serious, however before and after every one is pretty friendly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That's the truth I comp hunt all the time and it's fun and games before and after the hunts but during it's serious as all get out I like going to meet new ppl and to hunt coon hunting is my life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey...I am down in Orange County...got a few guys that go out...if interested let me know...