CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hey y'all how ya doin. i'm from ks and i am new to coon hunting and all of that i am a big bow hunter and bird hunter. i was wondering if you guys could help me get into this sport and kind of point me into the right direction. i dont have a hound yet i kind of like the red bone hounds or something along those lines but i am not to picky on a dog. i have also been looking at the mix breeds and have seen some nice dogs on there as well. we also have quite a few bobcats so i would like to maybe be able to hunt those to. i am looking for a cheaper dog that already knows everything and can kinda show me what to do. so if you have any advice about anything please let me know.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sir not trying to discourage you in any way but finding a dog cheap that can get it done when you purcase it is gona be a challange. And you can drive a lot of miles and spind a lot of money and end up with junk someone elses problems. My advise to you sir is trust your own judgement be pashent buy a dog in the woods under a coon .You wana see the dog tree a coon buy there self you wana see the dog on a tree with other dogs make sure its not ill. We gave 1500 for our last dog and it was a still of a deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Welcome to the sport. It can get addictive in a hurry. You've gotten some good advice and I would add that you want to meet and get to know some of the experienced houndsmen around you. Find a UKC hunt nearby and go watch. Meet some the members of the club and just absorb all the info you can. Most guys are real nice and are always happy to help out someone that wants to get into the sport. You can sometimes buy some good used equipment from them that they aren't using, and you may also find the dog you are looking for from one of the guys you meet. I bought a tracker when I first started hunting and a week later at a hunt I could have bought a used one for about half the price of what I paid. Don't believe everything you hear though because a lot of bull is spewn about at hunts. :)

As for finding a dog that hunts coons and cats for cheap - good luck. They are out there but finding one is going to be tough. Cat dogs that are finished are real pricey. If it was me (and it was about a year ago) I would start with a good coon dog. I tried doing exactly what you are talking about and came to the conclusion that I needed to focus on one or the other. Trying to do both doesn't do either justice.

Just my thoughts. Again, welcome to the sport.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the advice i'l look around see if theres any hunts by me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live in coalgate,ok if u ever my way and want to hunt pm me