CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You guys can cut on the old black and tans all you want . I know the old bue dogs can do it but why don't you see how long those thin skin dogs take -10 -15 running in 3feet of snow or all day after day on the ice in northern min. and ndakota.I have run my dogs in co. and its some of the best conditions as far as weather even if you are starting out in minus temps. My walkers and redbones were good bear coon dogs but froze up or cut up in the conditions. saying theres not some lines out thare that can handle it. I have yet to have a problem with the old line in the conditions. They are not comp dogs.It gets old walking into empty trees and dogs running around barking at the world. As far as not moving a track I have a friend that has a walker from some big time catdogs in idaho that will spend all night barking back and forth on a 50ft. log if you would let him . Theres some gems in every lot somewhere don't fool youself in believing not. 56 years with hounds of all types. enough said

Last edited by oakridge on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Must agree...these hot rods of today came from careful breeding stock from small beginings..lets hear it for the "old dogs" out there

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

here where i hunt you gotta have a dog with a good nose because coons are thin. they gotta be able to grub up and old track or wind a lay up off in a gorge and go to it and tree it. and they better be able to tree accurately because going to slick trees in the mountains is a sure recipe for a short career....but different parts of the country need different traits to best suit the demands they face. if you ever did any research on the old time plott dogs before a lot of other sort of hound blood was added to them you know they were smaller dogs with tons of athletic ability and medium eared dogs. the big heavy dogs are just at a disadvantage here when it comes to scrambling up rock cliffs and waterfalls and up and down mountains all night. like i said, look at the dogs that were developed here. Plotts and mountain curs. Look at their builds. there is a reason for that lol. look at what they were hunted through!

Therefore what old timers here in the mountains where i grew up call an old timey black and tan, they are referring to a medium sized, medium eared, dog with a lot of tan on them...often hi-tans or saddlebacks. they would run hard and heads up and get up on the game and push the pee out of them with a lot of game sense. these were the dogs i grew up listening to stories about and that is what i try to stick with as best i can within the modern black and tan breed standards. here is a pic of a lion hound from out west in the 50s that exemplifies what type of hound i am talking about.

if you go back and look at pics of tennessee lead from the 1850s you'll see that the lighter built medium eared black dogs have always been around and are just as deserving of the title of "old fashioned", imo.

PS I am not knocking your hounds. they are beautiful and obviously suit what you do. best of luck with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

P.W. Chapman wrote:
here where i hunt you gotta have a dog with a good nose because coons are thin. they gotta be able to grub up and old track or wind a lay up off in a gorge and go to it and tree it. and they better be able to tree accurately because going to slick trees in the mountains is a sure recipe for a short career....but different parts of the country need different traits to best suit the demands they face. if you ever did any research on the old time plott dogs before a lot of other sort of hound blood was added to them you know they were smaller dogs with tons of athletic ability and medium eared dogs. the big heavy dogs are just at a disadvantage here when it comes to scrambling up rock cliffs and waterfalls and up and down mountains all night. like i said, look at the dogs that were developed here. Plotts and mountain curs. Look at their builds. there is a reason for that lol. look at what they were hunted through!

Therefore what old timers here in the mountains where i grew up call an old timey black and tan, they are referring to a medium sized, medium eared, dog with a lot of tan on them...often hi-tans or saddlebacks. they would run hard and heads up and get up on the game and push the pee out of them with a lot of game sense. these were the dogs i grew up listening to stories about and that is what i try to stick with as best i can within the modern black and tan breed standards. here is a pic of a lion hound from out west in the 50s that exemplifies what type of hound i am talking about.

if you go back and look at pics of tennessee lead from the 1850s you'll see that the lighter built medium eared black dogs have always been around and are just as deserving of the title of "old fashioned", imo.

PS I am not knocking your hounds. they are beautiful and obviously suit what you do. best of luck with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had a hound in 1960 that looked just like this hound. his father was a redbone, and mother was half bluetick and half collie. Lived to be 15 years old one of the best coon hounds I ever owned super fast. He was not an old fashioned black and tan even though he was an old fashioned hound. My fathers old black and tans looked nothing like this hound nor the oldfashioned black and tan line and they to were old line hounds of the 40;s and 50's. Old fashion black and tan was a name given to a line of hounds that were developed by mainly 3 breaders back in the early 40's . Nothing realy to do with what hounds looked like in earlyier years. this line of hounds also have traits that are very different from most hound breeds thats why I always state that they for the most part dont make compition hounds. Put them on a track and they will push it all day. 56 years with the hounds found that there is good , bad , and ugly that show up at times in all the breeds. hopfully we can do are best to keep them all on the good side.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:56 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i agree with everything mr. pw chapman said, i was raised and still live in the same kinda country were he is from and them old curs and plotts we called them cur plotts could flat get it done in these mountains, who ever bred them dogs knew what a good dog was. they might not been pretty but they was a good a dog i ever seen, you always hear that todays dogs are a lot better but i dont think so myself, i aint never seen anything like them ole dogs. them slick treeing dogs didnt last to long after going down a gulf a few times and looking at a empty tree, if people would cull like they use to i think the dogs would be better off. if the breeders had to walk down a gulf a few times to look at a slick tree in the mountains there would be way fewer slick tree dogs lol.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have old blooded dogs and to be quiet honest, I smoke most young dogs with my fat 9 year old female. She has a better nose, bone structure, mouth (thats what i love the most about old blood dogs) and grit. The way that hounds are bread today IMO has taken the "hound" out of em. These thin boned, squall mouthed, tree happy junk cant hold a light to the old style dogs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sorta like cars , the new ones are junk
the old ones are sturdy and last
easy out there only a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,old fashioned guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

All of my redbones are old blood. Not huge dogs but about 65-85 pounds. All are big eared. They will all burn a track faster than any tick or walker I've ever been in the woods with. One of my males has never been beat to a tree.

(706) 867-5590
http://www.nighttrainkennels.wix.com/nighttrainkennels
http://www.facebook.com/AsuitsNightTrainHoundKennels