CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Close or further back?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I want opinions on this thought. I've heard both sides to it. I've heard that it doesn't matter what's up close in a dogs pedigree because It's the dogs that are far back that the dogs get the genes from. So they are saying that even if the sire and dam have never seen the woods, they could throw really good pups. I believe that this might be true but the sire and dams abilities count for something when breeding. Because I've heard when breeding, look for the holes in your dog and make sure the other dog doesn't have the same ones. I'm not sure on what to believe with this and would like opinions. I'm new to the dog breeding.

Head-N-The-Wind Kennels

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

When a Dog is born they have what their going to get!!! Training has nothing to do with inheritance. Also; a person should not ( force train) a puppy; BUT just work with them to let their natural talent develope.

When a dog has good balanced genes to reproduce good pups; it will happen even if the dog isn't hunted.

It's always good; and nessessary to hunt and train dogs to see what you've got!!! But if something's lacking it has to be changed in the breeding pen; not in the woods.

The Swamp Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i like this topic and i like wat plottten said

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That makes sents. What's in the dogs blood will always be there so it doesn't matter if it never sees the woods, it could still throw good pups. Thanks for making that more clear.

Head-N-The-Wind Kennels

Post subject: Close or further back?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

For me, I won't buy a pup if one of the parents didn't make a coondawg. Idc if the dam has every big name stud dog in her pedigree and is all grand pedigree. If good genetics automatically made good dogs, then every pup bred right should be a good one. Yet I see alot of dogs out of these studs that arnt worth ten cents. Ability has to come from both sides, and even then some pups just turn out. For me it all comes down to the likely hood of the pups making something, to me they have a better chance the closer they are to real coondawgs. If a female never became a coondawg, I'm going to assume its because she didn't have what it takes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine