CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cold nose coonhound
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What bloodline has the coldest nose with good line sense, say for tracking wounded game? Thanks Dave.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Cold nose coonhound
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunt with Walkers for the most part, but have a Redtick. The redtick is slow and methodical and always seems to take a cold track before my walkers, often she is the one that works it out to the tree later, more so than sooner. I believe Redticks as a whole have a cold nose.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the reply. I seen some really good cantidates at the autumn oaks show in Richmond Indiana. I really liked the heavier boned coonhounds that didn't look so racy like a greyhound. The mojo dog I seen was a good looking dog.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Have you ever heard of the Majestic? They are a cold nosed hound. They are a mix between a bloodhound and a coonhound. The one I have is mixed with a bluetick. The are a large hound that should top out around 100 lbs. Mine is 4 mths old, has huge feet and 13 inch ears. He is also almost as big as my 1 year old bluetick. They are on sale on here usually under cross breeds as they are a newly recognized breed. You are able to get them papered through the nkc. I saw a free frmale on here a couple of days ago but it was in Oklahoma. I think you would be pleased with the Majestic breed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Ggg!

Last edited by Canadian Hillbilly on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If you are tracking wounded game, just about every dog on the planet has the ability to blood trail it. I have known guys that have used terriers and labs for blood trailing game. From my experience, being large doesn't make a hound automatically have a cold nose. Mostly when hearing that term I define it as a good excuse for a flaw the hound has. Find yourself a smart hound and that is 90% of what will finish a track for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the coldest nosed dog your going to find would be a blood hound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

For tracking wounded game a dog that doesn't move a track too fast is what you want. A bloodhound would be a good choice. Guys use all kinds of bird dogs and house dogs for that job, but if you want a truly cold nosed dog a hound breed is the way to go. Even some old gascon blood may suit your needs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a good tracker now, I was more curious if anyone on this site uses coonhounds for other game or for even tried blood tracking with a coonhound When I see a dog I don't always think of them for being used for one thing. I was more curious if they were versatile like some of the other hunting breeds. I run rabbits and blood track with my dachshund and she knows when the tracking leash comes on, it's tracking time. I love all hunting dogs but don't think I have the room for a big coonhound. If I ever get some land I will get one to run some coons. I always wanted to do it but never have. I liked what I seen at the autumn oaks show though and do like them. I see alot of nose being bred out of rabbit hounds (beagles) and was curious if the coondogs are going the same route. I like watching American hoggers run their walkers and curs on hogs. I know they use coondogs on bear and cats also. Looks to be a good all around breed to me.