CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: To breed or not to breed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have recently had a couple of coonhound pups (over 6 months old) dropped into my lap. I noticed that the male is a complete dud when it comes to hunting. Now the female he was brought in with is the complete opposite. She trails anything she picks up the scent of, but has not treed yet. Her nose is the best I have seen in my area and I have hunters with males wanting to breed with her. I know her brother is a pure bred red tick/english coonhound. His coat is classic ticking. She has very little ticking but is mostly red and white patched. Should I breed her since she has great natural hunting abilities? I would like to breed pure but good noses are hard to come by. Thank you for the advice.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I wouldn't breed her until she proves to be a solid, consistent dog on track and tree. But if your dog is only 6 months old then you some time to figure out how she will turn out.
A lot of hunting aptitude has been bred out of a lot of hounds in the last few decades. I knew a guy that had a worthless dog- wouldn't track or tree... but he wanted to breed her because she had a pretty voice..... Ridiculous!
And just because a dog can run a track doesnt mean its a top dog. I have had a few dogs that would strike a track fast and run it hard, but they never wanted to tree... They are no longer in my kennels. I have no use for a hound that won't tree!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I will have to say, though she is young she is very good at tracking. She has figured out that even when a critter goes up a tree, she should not stop. I encourage her and work with her but she will just turn and walk off like "you got this? I'm going to check out this other scent." But if I just stand back she takes off after anything then tries to climb the tree after it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This a picture of her. We estimate her age to be about 6-8 months.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You are correct, Tracking ability is a very very important piece of the coondog puzzle, however it is only one. This is your dog and do as you want but if your asking I would not breed this dog, not at this time anyways. It is nice to follow the whole litter that she is out of to see how they are doing as coon dogs. Your results from breeding her will be the average production of the entire litter. Can you get a top dog out of breeding her? Sure but, consistently up and down the whole litter that she would produce the results will more than likely be all over the board unless her litter mates are turning the crank and the stud that you use and his litter mates have equal production. Good luck! BD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I m sorry did not notice how long ago this post was last visited. BD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So the question is, did you breed her? How has she done, and if she had pups how have they done?

β€œIt's strange indeed how memories can lie dormant in a man's mind for so many years. Yet those memories can be awakened and brought forth fresh and new, just by something you've seen, or something you've heard, or the sight of an old familiar face.”
― Wilson Rawls, Where the Red Fern Grows

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

BoonDaddy- glad YOU noticed the date posted cause I was about to reply myself!
However I am VERY interested on if and when you breed your female!!!
Any response ebradley?!?!