CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Coonhound Owner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I bought a little hound girl who was 8 weeks old about a week ago. She has been great so far, amazing in a crate, quick to obey and pretty much already potty trained.

I have a couple questions however. When I was with the man whom sold her to me, he wouldn't let me see the parents. Said the father was a biter. The parents are apparently fully registered and my pup is supposedly purebred walker. Info on the father was that he was a test tube pup, from some sperm bank and that you cant get this line anymore. The mother, all I know is the man whom sold it to this guy sold her because she was a licker.

So my first question is, does Timber look like a purebred walker? Will she be a biter like her father or can that be trained out of her?

Thank you for your time.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: New Coonhound Owner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Did you get papers with her? If the parents are registered purebred then you should get papers with your pup and register her. That will confirm she is purebred. Something does sound off if the guy went through all the trouble of getting some fancy line and didn't give you papers to back it up. I mean that is not cheap and he should be charging a good $ for the pups. Especially if the dog has performed well. Other than that looks to be. The question is, is she a running walker or treeing walker.

I don't think biting is a trait really passed down and yes you can break them of that. Mouthing (licking) on the other hand is much harder. My pup will will try to slobber on you anytime you get near him. PIA trying to break it out of him. But biting I wouldn't stand for. They can be plenty aggressive on a coon and still know not to even think of going after a person. I'd break a dog of biting even if it meant putting it down. Granted there are some dogs that you just can't break of something. Those are the ones you don't keep around. But especially if you start them on good habits early you should be able to train that out of them. Generally I will encourage a little bit of that in a pup at first then once they get to be 6-8 months I stop. I like my dogs to be a little dominate and I think that helps. But if you're worried about it then be stern with it right off the bat. She puts her mouth on you change from playing to correction immediately and every time. Then reward her for being good by playing some more. Always end training on something positive. Good Luck! If you stick with it you'll have the time of your life!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you so much for your reply! I did not get any paperwork of any kind, all the guys said was that this pup was the last pup of the line. He didn't want the breed to get out and said right off the bat he wouldn't give out any registration papers. We only paid 150.00 for her, I have not contacted him back just because the situation was so odd

Thank you as well on the tips for discipline and biting. She is only the second dog I have ever owned. My first was a mastidane, he was a quarter bull mastiff, quarter English mastiff and half great dane. He was a beast! Stood a little over 6 foot tall on his hind legs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If he wouldn't give out papers he was probably full of it. At least you didn't over pay. From the way you make the guy sound that pup should have been worth a lot more. Not saying its not a good pup or that its not pure. Just probably not from any special banked line. If you plan on competition hunting the pup it needs to be registered. You can't do that without papers. I've never tried to get papers after the fact but I do believe there are ways if you have his name and the sir dogs name that UKC can look it up and get you the papers. I believe the rules changed recently where only one of the parents needs to be registered for you to register the pup.

Personally I don't buy dogs that don't come with papers (but I pay for that too) as I enjoy going out and hunting at clubs. Same reason I don't get a dog neutered or fixed. As soon as you do they'd be a world champ or something and you'd be screwed.

Don't get me wrong I know lots of people that hunt muts and unregistered dogs for the fun of it and they are great hounds! Hell most bear and yote guys would go broke if they registered all of their dogs.

Profile  WWW