CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wagner Black &Tans
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Does any one know anything about the Wagner breed is it a good one any opinions. Just wanting to know. Wanting me the best oldest fashiond black&tan i can find :?:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Wagner Black &Tans
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

There are still a few people out there that are breeding some modern day Wagner/Nightrider lines. I hate to break it to you though, but Hans Wagner was kind of the guy that started the modern day, smaller hound that you see. Hans Wagner wanted to change the black and tan and make them smaller so they could be quicker and give them more endurance. You could call them the oldest modern day b&t. Alan White breeds his Nightrider stock out of Iowa and his website is http://nighthawk-kennel.com/ I have a hound that has a lot of nightrider blood in her and I love her to death. If every hound I have for the rest of my life was like her, I would die happy. I hope this helps out a little.

If you are looking for old fashion black and tans, Ken Duncan breeds large black and tans for both big game and coon. You could also do a search for Maple Hill Farms and that is one of the real old bloodlines.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We have one of mr whites nightrider pups shes a year old. awsome mouth excellent build. Late bloomer. Shes an awsome looking dog but my two other hounds smoke her in the woods. she wont even tree yet she just started to have a little interest in a hide when we put her with a caged coon she would nt have nothing to do with it. But i saw her working a drag the other day so mabey shell turn out.

Post subject: WAGNER BLACK & TANS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY OF THE BIG NAME DOGS GO BACK TO WAGNER STOCK IF SO WHO?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

does anybody have any information on this old line of hounds

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just wanting anyones opion on the bloodline,traits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My line of old fashion black and tans on one side go back directly to maple hill farm and st. johns. I have owned these hounds sence the late 70's. With the other side in the older kuester breeding. The kuesters bred and hunted these hounds for many years, They are now in thier late 80's and no longer sell the dogs. They still love to go out and hear them run. There is no mistaking a kuester + maple hill mix. When the st,. johns comes through you will have a little bit leaner hound and normaly colics in the hair on the front shoulders. They are open cold trail and some people are quick to think they have jumped and they have not. They are not babblers they sound off when they have scent. There's nothing I hate more then a hound running around barking on nothing. I hunt the dogs on mt. lion, coon, bobcat, coyotes, and fox. They are tough footed and can stand the extremes of the cold winter hunts. I hunt allot in wi. and northern mn. near the canandian border. In have seach the country trying to keep these hounds pure for they are a pleasure to hunt. They are not compitition hounds, Put them on a track and they will move it all day. I have had only unough litters to keep my line going. My present litter of pups is from top cold trailers, I very seldom get a hound with a chop mouth, some will if they are catching there game. I have a male here that is out of the last female hounds owned by cosners daughter(maple hill farms). He is 5 years old and on great hound . You can see a picture of him on the web page of southchase black and tans. Also me with few coyote and some of my hounds. enough laterlk

Post subject: Re: WAGNER BLACK & TANS
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

RACII1174 wrote:
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ANY OF THE BIG NAME DOGS GO BACK TO WAGNER STOCK IF SO WHO?

Basically all UKC registered B&Ts go back to Hans Wagner bred dogs. He was really the "godfather" of the registered B&T coonhound. He was registering dogs with the UKC all the way back in the teens and his hounds were a force in the breed through the 40's and 50's at least.

Your question is kind of hard to answer because so many years and generations have passed even to Hans Wagner's last famous dogs like Wagner's Rebel Gunsmoke....much less all the way back to his most famous hound, Wagner's Nightrider who was whelped in the 30's. Bill Boatman was key in keeping a lot of the old Nightrider blood going in the 60's and 70's.

A few men really concentrated on line-breeding and preserving the Wagner stock though. Some of the well known ones were/are Art Hunziker in IL, Alan and Marshall White in IA, James Headrick in GA, Vince Murphy in WI.

Even though they are not the super-sized, super long eared, AKC style of dog, the dogs that are pushed as "wagner" types today are on the large side for UKC dogs. Tall rangy hounds with a good bit of ear to them and advertised as bawl mouthed types with good noses.

Here are some old photos of some EARLY Wagner hounds (around 1915-1920).

The most famous Wagner Hound...the original Nightrider (1930s)

Last edited by P.W. Chapman on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:09 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oakridge, here is some pics of some Maple Hill B&T's:

http://www.americanhoundsmen.com/cosner.html

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you are looking for a big game Black and Tan look for Bill Cosners Maple Hill Farm dogs. They are a dying line but wonderful if you can find them. http://www.evenstarhounds.com .We have this line. The B&T dog(head shot} on our home page is our foundation sire 1/2 Maple Hill Farm.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Wagner Night Rider ?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Guys, are they realy a natural track an tree dogs? Does any one own one? How is it? I like the looks of them,the ad in the coonhound bloodline mag. sounds good. But are they what they say?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The good ones old fashion AKC kind hunt and are extream trail dogs any condition.fair to good tree some dont bark at tree alot seem to tree beter with company. But a compleet pleasure to hunt, no headaches no yelling and screaming to get them to mind you. The good ones can move cold tracks that most realy cold nosed hounds dont even know is there.I think thats why some think there slow. they grab sent 15 hours or older and give toung. other dogs got there head up or down and act lost. but when it warms up they can catch. now granted a normal nose dog may catch three coon in 4hrs while long ears has been trailing the sent they didnt even know was there all night till treeing it miles away. but they typicaly leave the woods when you want to go home and when comes to a houndy looking extream cold trailing big voice hound there it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

OLDB&T wrote:
The good ones old fashion AKC kind hunt and are extream trail dogs any condition.fair to good tree some dont bark at tree alot seem to tree beter with company. But a compleet pleasure to hunt, no headaches no yelling and screaming to get them to mind you. The good ones can move cold tracks that most realy cold nosed hounds dont even know is there.I think thats why some think there slow. they grab sent 15 hours or older and give toung. other dogs got there head up or down and act lost. but when it warms up they can catch. now granted a normal nose dog may catch three coon in 4hrs while long ears has been trailing the sent they didnt even know was there all night till treeing it miles away. but they typicaly leave the woods when you want to go home and when comes to a houndy looking extream cold trailing big voice hound there it.

thank you

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Does anyone know how I can get ahold of Mr. White? I've been trying to get ahold of him in regards to his line of black and tans but have had no luck calling the number on his web site.
Any help would be appreciated. Pm me or call 217 430 4696 thanks. Justin