It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: coon feeders
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what do you put in your coon feeder curious thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:47 pm 
IP:
Food..................................I put corn normally. Persimmons are ripe now so I pick some of them. Cheap dog food works. They love sweets. Marshmallows are good. My pet can eat a bag of marshmallows in no time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I soured some corn and used that last year. Found out this year that dry shelled corn works just as good. I have a couple squirrel feeder made out of drywall buckets and coon been tearing them up. They rip off the lid, eat my shell corn, then mess in it if it's empty. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bluetick1982 wrote:
Food..................................I put corn normally. Persimmons are ripe now so I pick some of them. Cheap dog food works. They love sweets. Marshmallows are good. My pet can eat a bag of m
arshmallows in no time.

i know food i use dog food but wanted some more ideals thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:50 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I use cheap dog food,and when establishing a new feeder, I'll pour grape kool aid over it or mix in some off brand froot loops.I have a friend that works at a grocery srore, and when they bust a bag of dog food he sweeps it up and saves it for me.I also go to some feed stores and ask them to do the same.Every feed store I've been to, when they find out I'm a coonhunter, asks me to come and trap the coon out of their warehouse.I do so in exchange for ANY feed that has been spilled.If mixed with the right stuff, coon will eat sweet feed, laying pellets,etc.-about anything that comes in a bag from a feed store-just mix it all together and add a little fish oil or kool aid.I don't maintain feeders during the summer, so I stock up enough to keep them filled all winter.I also don't believe in shooting coon treed off a feeder,but it WILL keep them in your area and give you some easy drops.And never, NEVER tell or show ANYBODY where you have a feeder- that's the quickest way to get your coon population wiped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks coleman ill try these and see what happen i been using regular dog food that i feed my dogs that gets expensives thank again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:56 am 
IP:
I have had good results with cheap dog food and the cheap gallon sized jugs of low grade maple syrup. I second what Coleman said. DO NOT TELL ANYONE where your feeders are. They will wipe out your coon.

Post subject: COON FEEDERS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

BUY THE CHEAPEST DOG FOOD ON THE MARKET. GO THE THE CO-OP AND TELL THEM YOU WANT SOME ANMIAL FEED GRADE SORGHUM OR MOLASESS. THEY SELL IT IN 5 GAL BUCKET AND IT IS CHEAP. THEY PUMP INTO POOR HAY TO GET THE CATTLE TO EAT IT. MIX 1/2 GAL TO 5 GAL OF DOG FEED. AND MAKE UP YOUR BUCKETS. THEY CAN SMELL THE SORGHUM A MILE. I HAVE ALSO USED THE SOUR CORN IN THE BOTTOM 1/3 OF A 55 GAL DRUM. JUST CUT IT AT THE FIRST RING AND FILL WITH WATER AND CORN LEAVE ABOUT 8 IN OF WATER IF YOUR USING CORN RIGHT OF THE BAG. IT WILL SOAK UP A LOT OF WATER. IF YOU KEEP THE WATER LEVEL OVER THE CORN BY 4 IN THE ONLY THING THAT WILL GET IN THE BARREL IS A COON. NOTHING ELSE WILL PUT IT HEAD UNDER THE WATER TO GET THE CORN. A COON USES IT HANDS TO PULL THE CORN UP. THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS METHOD IS THE COON IS WET WHEN HE COMES OUT AND THE TRACK IS HOT. GREAT FOR YOUNG DOG. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Like Coleman, I tend to put in whatever is handy-cereal, cookies, shrimp casings, bits of stale bread, old marshmallows, sweet horse feed, apple pieces, persimmons - everything. I haven't found anything they don't like but I don't think they'd eat greens or plain alfalfa pellets. The bulk of what I use is corn and the cheapest dog food I can find. A touch of maple syrup or a few cookies mixed in makes it smell far and wide but once they know the feeder is there they will keep coming even when it's empty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

coleman wrote:
I use cheap dog food,and when establishing a new feeder, I'll pour grape kool aid over it or mix in some off brand froot loops.I have a friend that works at a grocery srore, and when they bust a bag of dog food he sweeps it up and saves it for me.I also go to some feed stores and ask them to do the same.Every feed store I've been to, when they find out I'm a coonhunter, asks me to come and trap the coon out of their warehouse.I do so in exchange for ANY feed that has been spilled.If mixed with the right stuff, coon will eat sweet feed, laying pellets,etc.-about anything that comes in a bag from a feed store-just mix it all together and add a little fish oil or kool aid.I don't maintain feeders during the summer, so I stock up enough to keep them filled all winter.I also don't believe in shooting coon treed off a feeder,but it WILL keep them in your area and give you some easy drops.And never, NEVER tell or show ANYBODY where you have a feeder- that's the quickest way to get your coon population wiped out.
I third that statement 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:11 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

A few more things I've figured out about coon feeders-

1: Make sure they are attached very solidly to the tree(bungy cords and rope don't seem to cut it).

2: It seems to thoroughly enrage the local coon population when you let your feeders get empty.I went out of town to duck hunt last year for a week and When I got back to fill my feeders up,I found 1 about 50 feet from the tree it was on, another 200 feet from the tree it was on, and a third I still haven't found.

3:Don't fool yourself into thinking ONLY coons are eating out of your feeders-most animals will eat anything a coon will eat-the only way to counter this is knowing that coons use their hands to eat and can reach a LONG way to grab food.

4:Don't put a feeder up where you DON'T want to strike a coon.I had a friend that put a feeder about 20 feet from a road and couldn't figure out why his dog kept running straight to the road as soon as he struck track.

5: And one of my more brilliant moves,DON'T PUT UP A FEEDER THAT IS SO TALL YOU CAN'T REACH TO FILL IT UP!!! Please, someone, assure me I'm not the only idiot to do this.

6: Last but not least, and I CAN'T stress this enough-don't tell your mother, your father, your brother, or your best friend where you have a feeder- they WILL go hunt it and kill all your coon.And don't believe ANYONE that says they would never hunt over a feeder.Translation:they wouldn't put up a feeder of their OWN, but they'll gladly hunt over yours and kill ALL your coon.It's a proven fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:38 pm 
IP:
just use feeders for young dogs onec they get going good put them on wild tracks if u get them use to feeder u r screwed lol i know ive done it before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i use peanut butter covered on bread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D :D :D @ Coleman's words of coon feeder wisdom (so very true). For the real tall ones you can attach it at the middle pretty tightly but only bungee the rest so you can swivel it down to a reachable height. I've had enraged coon tear them off the trees when they're empty too :D . At least you know you have some strong, healthy ones out there. To add some wisdom - camo, camo, camo!