CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:23 am 
IP:
I have an idea. I have two littermate Bluedogs who are one year old. They have not been messed with other than a little handling. They are from good stock and should make decent hounds given the proper chance. I would like to take these pups through their training and report every step of the way to the forum users. We could discuss training issues and ideas and follow the progress. At the end of this project I would like to donate one of the pups ( if they both make it) to a worthy cause on behalf of the folks here at Coondawgs. It could be the Coondawgs project dog. This might be a good way to help folks with a lot of problems and issues that arise along the making of a coondog. What do we think? Is it worth the effort or not? The dogs are gonna get worked regardless but I think it might be a good thing. Let me know. Thanks.

http://www.coondawgs.com/trainingproject.html

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Sounds good to me
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:44 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I think it would be Very interesting!I don't know the FIRST thing about training a hunting coonhound! I have only had exp. with 'regular" dogs and my coonies here,who are housepets. SO I 'd love to hear the process. Esp where they are Older pups. I have a six week old BT living with my partener in WI, and I know he'll keep me up on Her training...But right now that is knowing she didn't pee the crate ALL night last night... :roll: LOL!
I think it's a cool idea and I'll read it. HappyHunting! HEather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:54 am 
IP:
I think it is a great idea. I know it would really help me and other people on here in training thier dogs.

Thanks a lot for your on going help

Joel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:02 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It sounds great to me. I want to see lots of pics and progress updates. I think it would help a lot of people out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:38 am 
IP:
Well lets get started. A little history on these two is in order. They were purchased as 8 week old puppy's in Oklahoma. The first owner is a dry ground lion and cat hunter who used to live in Texas. They lived most of their first year in Texas. The previous owner hunts off of horseback. He would take these pups for journeys through the woods in the daytime and started teachng them to handle. This means they were not allowed to wonder off and explore much at all. They were kept close to the horse and handler. They were introduced to crossing water and working through thick brush and being around other hounds etc. They are used to ridding in the dog box and generally being handled. They are big, strong OVERWEIGHT, seemingly healthy pups with correct confirmation etc.The previous owner moved to Wyoming where he is continuing with his lion and cat hunting from horseback. I traded him one, one year old female of the same breeding for these two pups because he is going to an all female pack for his hunting needs. He prefers all females due to not having to lay one up if in heat. They have never been exposed to any game at all other than a few rabbit chases that were brought to a stop by the previous owner.

I have had these pups for about one month now. I have exercised them and got some of the baby fat off of them. I have let them settle in to their new surroundings. I have taken them with me to the woods at night a totall of 4 times. They just pretty much wonderd arround and had a good ole time. They WILL not get far from me. They are learning to get through fences pretty good.
Here are some pics of our project dogs.

PR Andersons Last Chance Clyde
PR Andersons Last Chance Smoke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:51 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

LCK You have a good idea.It would be very informational.Keep us informed on the progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:02 am 
IP:
it is a good idea lck when i get my female bred and have pups ill probaly do this good luck to ya with the pups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sounds really good! I support this project 100% that smoke is a real looker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

only thing I could wish for on this project is making it printable.. select all selects everything... I guess I can manually select the posts and copy them to word or jarte for printing... I figure this would make a sweet book when its all said and done!!!!!!
books like walk with Wick are wonderfull, but dont usually have the oppinions and ideas from a dozen (or more) other people interspersed with the training methods being used and discussed.... Go for it Wally, I am all attention and interest on this one!!!!! cant wait!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sounds great LCK, looking foward to seeing how this progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:15 pm 
IP:
First order of business:

What goals should be set for these prospects. Knowing the background of them I should give some info as to the individual personality's as I have come to know them so far.

Clyde: Clyde is probably the friendliest of the two. He has that I ain't never met a stranger countenance about him. If he see's or hears you coming he is at the end of his chain, barking and jumping around like a fool. As soon as you are in reach, he is all over you. When you pet him he explodes with joy. Clyde is a happy fellow.

Smoke: Smoke is more reserved and stand offish. It took me about 7 days to get him to greet me instead of me going to him. He is very quiet on the chain. Very seldom do you hear him barking or cutting up. When a stranger walks up to him he is not shy towards them but very reserved and not reall tickled about the whole deal. You will often catch Smoke staring at things as if he is studying carefully. He has growled at strange dogs on occasion.

They both seem equal when in the woods as far as curiosity and use of nose. Clyde readily and eagerly loads in the truck and Smoke needs some nudging.

So, what should our first order of busines be with these two? I have some idea's but am wanting to reserve those until after we have discussed an initial plan of attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:50 pm 
IP:
obiedence trainin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i would say that depends on what YOU want, they are your dogs.. you going to train clyde NOT to jump on you and that sort of thing? or are you going to start hunting them as they are and work on problems as they come around? Like the possibilty of smoke being aggressive on tree or coon? do they load in the box with other dogs without a problem? This is your ballgame, I would give advice, but it would be your own advice since I am the one who calls you for it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:07 pm 
IP:
The jumping up is going to stop. There has been some growling in the box with stange dogs. It is going to stop as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:36 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

First off, I think that this is a great idea. Very nice of you to dot this.

Second, I agree with Jimmie Legrand. Some obedience training may be in order. At least an evaluation of where they currently are at in their obedience knowledge.

After that, I'm lost. I'm so new at this, that I am still looking around for advice on training my dog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next