CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: making coon feeders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:13 pm 
IP:
will some one post me plans to make coon feeders

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:36 pm 
IP:
This coon feeder can be mounted to a tree or post (don't mount it any higher than you can reach to fill it). Or you can just set it on a stump. The platform can be made out of scrap plywood to cut down on cost (You may want to paint it to help it beat the elements of rain etc.... If you are going to mount it to a tree or post, first mount the platform and then screw or nail the bucket to the platform. For the bracing you can use 2x4's or some plumbers strapping, either way you are talking about a lot of weight when filled with (cheap) dog food, plus the weight of a coon, so use plenty of screws when putting it together. About the only thing I see that the pic does not go into detail about is the piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe that is sticking out near the bottom of the bucket on the right side. This piece of PVC needs to be about 4" long. Get a adapter and saw it in half, this will fit inside the bucket, just connect the PVC pipe to the adapter Be sure and cut an exact hole for the pipe to fit through as this will lessen any wobbling. Be sure and glue the adapter and the pipe. * NOTE * Putting sardines on the top for a few days will sure attract the coons in a hurry, if they are anywhere close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:45 pm 
IP:
sorry cant get the pic to show up[/img][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:34 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

dig a hole..put a 5 gallon bucket it in it filled with corn..you can put a lid on it with a small hole..

bawlin choppin treein..that is a walker for you

Boomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:15 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

www.kettlelickridgekennel.8m.com

click on coon feeder page

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've had good luck just using a 5 gallon bucket.

Or if you want you can dig a hole and put corn in i and fill it with water. the coon will love this.

Tracks at the hole.

Both of these are at my house and I don't hunt over them. I do however catch a coon every once in awhile to mess with a pup of walk the pups around the feeders to see how they act.

A PROUD SOUTHERN EVEN THOUGH I CAN'T POST IN THE SOUTHERN SECTION !

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:00 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Here ya go, no screws, nuts, bolts, or blueprints required. Just 4" pvc and a couple of bungee cords then a little spray paint.

From top to bottom it is a cap, straight pipe, Y, and screw-in plug. The longer you make it the more food you can put in it. If it is too tall just undo the top bungee cord and tilt it to fill. These are really hard for people to spot and vandalize. If they do...the thing didn't cost much to make anyway so it isn't so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:04 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

All of the y pipe I find will not take a screw in plug. Is the y a 4" also or is is 3"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:31 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It all fits together so I guess all the parts are 4" or made to fit into 4" parts. I go to Home Depot and take the small pieces and match them all together and then to the pipe before I buy. I have to do that because they aren't marked and people keep mixing the sizes up and putting them in the wrong shelf baskets. If the Y pieces aren't threaded you may be able to find a cap for the bottom. I had to use a screw-in plug because all the Y pieces at our Home Depot for some reason are threaded or I would have capped the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:33 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Thanks....I was looking at Menards. I wil be off the Home Depot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:11 pm 
IP:
Get some old tires and nail them up on a tree out of a deers reach and fill them with corn

Post subject: Peanut butter jars?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Anybody ever used full peanut butter jars with the lid nailed to a tree as a feeder? I want somthin cheap and simple to use and have heard of these but don't know how well they work. Anybody have any experience with them?

Post subject: Re: making coon feeders
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:11 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

mr.dswish ive used peanutbutter in jars before and the coons will love it.what i did was take the lid off the jar and heat the tip of nails up with a propane torch and push the nail thru lid starting on the inside pushing it to the outside.then just nail the lid to a tree and screw the jar on the lid and cut a hole in the bottom of the jar so the coons can reach in there and get them a bite lol.the reason i heated the nails up was cause the plactic lid would split if i tried driveing the nails when the nails wasnt hot.the biggest problem with peanut butter is sometimes the coon can eat a whole jar in one night.coons love soured corn as good as anything, you can put the corn in a tire and pour water in it and it will sour in a couple days with this heat and the coons will come near and far to get it.you can also tell if a coon has been at the tire lately,when he reaches in to get the corn his paws will be wet and he will leave little wet tracks all over the tire.lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Skeets, thanks for the info I think I'll give it a try and I can see what you would mean by splitting that brittle plastic. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

take and old tire or fourwheeler tire or something and hang just high enough in a tree where the deer cant get it... then take about a half of a 5 gallon bucket of shelled corn and soak it in water for a couple of days and dump it in your tire, the coons will climb up in there and eat the rotten corn like candy