CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:56 pm 
IP:
Is there any way to get a skunk out of a live trap without getting sprayed? I caught one last night. When we shot it (from a distance) it sprayed and stunk up the trap.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've heard that your suppose to throw a blanket over the trap then try to open it. If it cant see you it wont spray. I dont know if that is true or not, i've been lucky and never caught one. Just what i've heard to do.

Post subject: skunk
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you shoot a skunk in a trap, try to lung them. If you shoot it in the the head it will spray everytime. If you make a good lung shot alot of times it won't spray. The best thing to do with a skunk in a live trap, is get a old sheet and walk up to the trap with the sheet spread open and lay it over it, then pick the trap up and throw it in the pickup and turn it loose at your mother-in-laws place. The skunk won't spray the sheet because it is to big of target, and once it's covered it is content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:48 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

this might sound stupid....but i shoot them in the hindquarters if they cant move there legs right they dont spray much if any.....ya u can also throw a blanket on em.....if u lift em up by the tail so ther legs are off the ground they cant spray either....never tried it and dont plan to..lol....well good luck

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:07 am 
IP:
Put an ad in the local paper. Live trap, free to anyone who wants to pick it up at............ :lol: Just kiddin! My wife has been an animal control Officer for a good while. She catches a lot of skunks out of peoples yards. She would get sprayed a good bit at first, now she has learned to GO SLOW with them. VERY slow. She can load them up and haul them to the creek where they get a good half hour soaking and has not been sprayed for over two years. The secret is SLOW quiet movements with a tarp held infront and draped over the trap. Or you can put in the ad LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

be really easy sneak up on him really slowly and quietly

prop that trap door open really quietly and run like hell cuz that thing is going to spray if u get near it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

VaCoonHunter wrote:
be really easy sneak up on him really slowly and quietly

prop that trap door open really quietly and run like hell cuz that thing is going to spray if u get near it

I don't think I would let the skunk go in the same exact spot it got caught. Kinda stupid, you'll have to deal with it the next day! I would either shoot it, or let it out on the side of the road 2 miles away from the trap. But it might be risky!
Or... Have LCK's wife take care of it, it seems like she knows her stuff when it comes to skunks. :wink: :lol:

*PM privledge was taken away, please e-mail me NHCRACER3@hotmail.com *

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i know a guy who does it the same way lck wife does it. he catches them in town for people and lets them loose out of town. he just treats them like a cat he says lol. he moves slow and just talks to them nicely. but id say hes crazy cause they stink lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:22 pm 
IP:
I agree with lck's wife. I also have a Nuisance Wildlife Control business. I have a couple old blankets I haul around just for that purpose. I like a little heavier blanket over a sheet so the wind don't blow it and scare the skunk. Just spread it wide and move very slowly and talk to them in a soft voice. When they get nervous stop and let them settle down. Only been sprayed once this way and it was because I was in a hurry and wanted to see what I could get away with. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:44 pm 
IP:
i agree with LCK try the ad thing i can see the ppl face as they pull up and ask for the cage have it covered up and say you have to take what ever is in it to and show them :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I worked for a pest control company and somehow I got elected to do animal removals. I agreed as long as I got to use the boss's car :wink: for transport. Skunks were the easiest of all to move. Use slow movements and move them in the daytime. Most of the time they'd sleep so soundly in daylight that they never even woke up until I opened the cage and let them out. To be safe (and protect the vehicle and yourself) use a piece of heavy canvas or a thick blanket to cover the trap in case of spraying.

You could also use the method of overwhelming numbers to scare him out of spraying. What you do is gather up all your best buddies, a keg, and a video camera. Put on some loud music. This will make the skunk aware that it is outnumbered and it will be too scared to spray. It may stamp its little feet, chatter at you, and even raise its tail threateningly. It is bluffing. It wont spray you with all your buddies watching, especially if it knows you are videotaping it. Simply open the trap, grab it by the scruff of the neck, and offer it some of your beer. This will pacify it and make it tame as a kitten. You can now safely carry it to a new location.

Post subject: skunk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my gpa always told me to shoot them inbetween the eyes and the cant spray

Maycumber's Back Creek Bourban Kennels
Home of Neosho River Macey Joe
Back creek babe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LOL, I love the outnumbering the skunk approach, that could just work, I'll volunteer my friend to try it out while I watch at a safe distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

throw the trap in a body of water and drown them, the same with grinners(possums)

Post subject: bbs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

nail it with a bb guns a few times lol