CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If so lets see some pics

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have my Jeep Grand Cherokee set up for coon hunting.. I use my dog box in it year around.. use it for going to hunts, shows and also for pleasure hunting... The only thing i dont like about it is... when its COLD in NW MN.. the hatch back doesnt like to stay open.. so i have to balance that on my head.. and get the hounds to load up..lol.. here are some pics of the box my dad made for me.. it cost $35.00 to make... I love it.. its nice and light.. i can load and unload it by myself..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

take a 1x4 and notch it on each end and then place it either on top of the dog box or make i longer and put fabric on one end and place it on the floor and then where the window and plastic meet, then you dont have to worry about balincing it on your head...

if its topless, just make a small box thatll fit on the fenders (im using a 70's model renegade CJ-5 for a plan, dont know if there still made the same....) and then fasten it down with either a bolt in each side or a sheet metal screw...

well, even if it DOES have a top, top you might be able to make it work...

sorry no pics...

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier!

www.myspace.com/spikebrannon

"Thier just dogs, once you learn that you'll be better off. Everytime you turn em loose theres always that chance that you'll never seee them again, for one reason or another"

words from a wise man, my dad.

if you dont like the weather in Alabama, just wait a few minutes..

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I hook the hound up in the back seat with a harness and a seatbelt running through it. I have an extra harness for visiting hounds, and use a tree tie leash to tie up to two more in the cargo area. That way, we can ride with the windows open and they can rig without jumping out the windows and I don't suffocate from dog farts : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:38 am 
IP:
thats funny susie, i have a grand cherokee larado too, my set up looks alot like yours but with wooden walls...and my hatch does the same exact thing when it is cold out, kinda stinks when you let the puppies ride in there and they decide to poop though haha :x ...my friend bought a toyota that he is letting me use now though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:32 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i know that this is kind of costly but you can use it even if you have a truck. I went to Petsmart and bought two portable kennels. One large enough for my 80lb redbone and one large enough for my 65 lb TW and BT. That way they both slide in together side by side in the back. For the largest one I have, I have to raise the driver side rear seat up just a bit to allow closure of the hatch. It works great. I also have a hitch haul on the back mainly because I have a 5.5" lift on my grand Cherokee so it helps when loading and when putting collars on 'em. My jeep don't stink, lol, I usally crack the back two windows a little with the inside circulating air conditioning running. I hope that helps. If you want I'll try n post some pictures by tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have an '83 jeep scrambler, its a cj8, same thing as a cj7 except it has a small truck box on it. For rigging i just hoook em up to the roll bar and off we go :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:31 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i gotta get somthin else!, my 2007 chevy wont last long if i keep coon huntin out of it. my 97, is horrible on gas, and my 79 ford...wont even think about that, 15 inch lift and 44's. looks like i am goin to be fixin up the old IH scout to hunt out of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:23 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Susie...I built mine just like yours and its working great. You can replace the gas struts for about $20 a piece and it will fix your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D Great!!! Glad its working for you!!!! I will have to talk to that hubby of mine.. hes a mechanic.. Im thinking he should be able to handle that job.. heck.. i bet i could even do it!!! :wink: I think the last time I checked on the price of them.. they wanted $40.00 each.. that was a couple years ago! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I started hunting out of jeeps 35 years ago.Now a lot of guys do..Right now I own a 79 cj7 for when its really muddy or Im alone..I took out the back seat for a dog box.A 91 limited ,96 limited and A real nice96 Grand ch larado..Its the bigger jeep..Plenty of room to slide a small dog box in the back of them...I also have a 87 dodge Dakota long bed I use sometimes...The 4 door jeeps are great if you want to take 3-4 guys hunting.But can be too small if they are big boys...LOL..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:25 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The struts are about 20 each for most jeeps.I just replaced the ones on the larger jeep they cost $22.oo each .

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:33 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Chet...what kind of box do you use in those Cherokee's? I don't believe you can fit one in well enough without putting the rear seat down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:40 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

chet, i dont think i;ve met you yet, i go to the milton ukc hunts, and just the club/buddy hunts, and have yet to talk to you. haha. maybe next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:50 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I make home made boxs to fit the jeeps..Its cheaper than buying a new one..LOL.I just slide them in my truck so I can carry more dog to shows..Sam, I dont hunt the night hunts much at all any more.Its been 2-3 years ago I hunted in a hunt..I just cant keep up with the younger guys any more..But I am feeling better so I might get back into them again..Tylers really doing well with his band.Hes booked to play just about every weekend.I have been to a lot of bench shows.Over the last 2-3 years. from Down south at the Stateline at St leon on 46 to the Muncie club .Thats about as far as I go..Ive meet some real nice guys at those clubs...Most of my dogs are champion or grandch..I only have 1 female thats open.We plan on showing her in a few months.Then I will have some pups ready to start showing..When We show we take 2-7 dogs..Its cheaper in the long run...Let me know when your going to be at a local show or hunt.I might meet you at one.If I dont have other plans..I might have been at Milton you just didnt know its was me standing there........LOL....Ive also been working on a house for my sister.SO I can get her moved out of my Farm house so I can move in.....LOL...I plan on moving everything to the farm...

Profile  WWW