CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:40 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

we've all heard about the coon feeder made from a tire on the rim with the holes cut. here my idea. take a piece of 6 inch pvc a few feet long. cut a slot 2 inches wide the full lenght, except leave 2 inches on each end and in the middle for support. put caps on each end with adhesive. dig a trench so that the pipe feeder is about 3/4 covered. now put some of your favorite attractant in it. you can more easily relocate this feeder, clean it. you can tie it down if you have to or secure it to a log or whatever. you can paint it so it isn't so easily noticed. what do you think?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

how would you keep the rain out of it. Also leaves would cover it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

this design doesn't make for a perfect feeder. i do think it's an improvment over a tire. the tire on the rim idea doesn't have provisions for keeping leaves off or the rain out. with just a little creativity one could figure how to solve those two problems.

Post subject: la la la
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:20 pm 
IP:
you could build a cover for it like they do on deer feeders, that would be one way to keep undesirable stuff out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

do like the hog hunters do take a 4" pipe put caps on it, bore 1/2" holes in it, they will roll it around and the corn will come out.

Frog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:01 pm 
IP:
do like i do take a old milk can with a cover cut a 1 1/2 in hole on the side of it close to the bottom and then take a 2in peice of water pipe and weld it over the hole so they could get there paws in it and scrach out the food hang it in a tree with a chain about 6in off ground and fill it with corn of dog food or what ever.

Post subject: coon feeder.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Back in the days of old, when I hunted (got a pup I'm trying to train right now so I can get back in it), I used the lidded 5 gallon bucket with up-angled PVC pipe in the bottom. The days of old thing is a joke, BTW. Many of you up here were hunting before I knew what a Redbone was. I'll tell you a short cut for the feeder, though. Instead of drilling a hole, just take a propane torch and light the spot you will insert the PVC pipe for just a second. If you cut the end of the PVC with a bevel edge (think fishing pole holder), it will stick in clean. Much easier than drilling a hole, plus you hit it again with the torch for just a second and the plastic from the bucket melts to form to the pipe, almost "welding it", though not quiet. The key is to not torch it too long or you will end up with a melted mess. You can make a coon feeder in less than 5 minutes like this. Literally. Tomorrow I need to start some corn souring so I can make some feeders to put up this weekend. Kinda like the milk can and pump pipe above... just bigger scale. Hope this helps someone...

One more thing... if anyone uses plastic 55 gallon drums for dog houses then the propane torch works wonders at cutting out their doggie door. Much quicker than a jigsaw.
Joey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 pm 
IP:
i just use 5 gal buckets with 4 holes drilled in it .hang it in a tree and feel it up with cheap dog food.put the lid back on and wait. you can also put kool-aid on top

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The tire feeder works pretty good. A 33x12.50 will hold about 125lbs, and the coon can't carry it off. The first one I made, I didn't think it was going to work. I filled it with corn and grape kool aid, after a month nothing. I made a drop close to it the other night, and as soon as I got close I could smell sour corn. When I got on it the coons had really been in it. We feed corn year round from deer feeders, and thats where I went first, didn't get a strike, but when we got to the sour corn it the tire it was on.

704-791-7751
bwsupplies@aol.com
http://treedawg.com/forum/index.php?app ... s&reff=799

Last edited by Bill Tipton on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:12 pm 
IP:
i use dog food so the deer wont mess with it. i dont want my pups bumpin a deer by mistake at the feeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:37 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Dog food in feeders around my house brings in the coyotes! I'll take my chances with the deer, thats what the shock collars for.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:48 pm 
IP:
we are loaded with yotes here. i never had any problem with them (knock on wood).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We have had problems with the deer stomping our plastic buckets in half for the corn so we went to metal ones and also started using dog food. if you weld a 2" long piece of chainlink fence post over the hole it solves your coyote problem also.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

WATER WITH CORN = SOUR CORN coons love it absolutly love it i use tires on rims leaves are not a problem the smell comes out take u some corn shelled corn soak it in water about a week later BAM smelly roten corn put it in the feeders it works if rain gets in no problem u can cut holes in the bottom like 1/16 or whetever any how i dont worry about rain it helps its cheap and they come running brown sugar mixed with its all good (DEER DONT MESS WITH ROTTEN CORN)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i just use a 5 gal bucket with a 1/2 pipe at the bottom and tie it the tree keeps rain out of it and i sour my corn coon seem to like it better that way but i have never had no problem with mine easy to clean out cause they domnt get dirty from the coon hand reaching in pulling the corn out